Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,784,212 Members 42,544 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Questions about Unlocking or Recovering from a Soft Brick? LOOK HERE BEFORE POSTING!!

Tip us?

droidstyle
Old
(Last edited by droidstyle; 20th January 2014 at 02:56 PM.)
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 3,368

DONATE TO ME
Default Questions about Unlocking or Recovering from a Soft Brick? LOOK HERE BEFORE POSTING!!

I felt the need to create a thread explaining things a bit better. Lets get started shall we!!

1) As most folks know the I605 Galaxy Note 2 shipped with a locked bootloader. This means you Can Not flash any custom roms/kernels/ or recoveries until you unlock the bootloader!! Failure to comply will result in a yellow triangle stating "unsupported software detected"!

2) If you flashed custom software on your device without unlocking, please refer to Section 1B of my GUIDE in development section. This will bring your device back up and running in stock condition!!

3) Now you can proceed to Adams latest "Jailbreak" thread for for rooting/unlocking/flashing a custom recovery. Make sure to only use the method that applies to the firmware/bootloader version that was previously on your device.

VRAMC3 - http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2272066

VRALL4 - http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2118348

VRALJB- http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2043636 (Unless you purchased this device within the first month of release, and never accepted a OTA, Do Not use this link).

4) And last of all, folks never accept any OTA's!! There is no reason to!! Now that your device has been rooted, unlocked, and running twrp recovery, you can now download any latest update.zip from the dev section and flash in recovery. The Devs here are always fast at packaging up the OTA into a zip format so we can update via cwm or twrp recovery. There are a couple reasons why I prefer this method,

1. Future OTA updates may relock the device permanently! There is no gurantee a unlock method will be achieved for the next OTA.

2. .Zip roms are normally smaller, so they take less time to download and imo are easier to install.

3. OTA's can sometimes fail and soft brick the device.

So please read through this thread thoroughly and remember research twice, flash once! Hopefully this helps...

**Also Note the VRUEMJ9 4.3 OTA update locked the bootloader and there is no current unlock method**
Devices:
VZW Galaxy Note III Dev. Edition
VZW Galaxy S III
Asus T. Prime
---------
VZW Galaxy S Fascinate GUIDE
VZW Galaxy S III GUIDE
VZW Galaxy Note II GUIDE
VZW Galaxy Note III GUIDE
The Following 37 Users Say Thank You to droidstyle For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kintwofan
Old
Thanks Meter 2,843

DONATE TO ME
Default Re: Questions about Unlocking or Recovering from a Soft Brick? LOOK HERE BEFORE POSTI

This was way overdue good work droidstyle

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kintwofan For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

droidstyle
Old
Thanks Meter 3,368

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by kintwofan View Post
This was way overdue good work droidstyle

now if we can just get it stickied!!
Devices:
VZW Galaxy S III
Asus T. Prime
---------
VZW Galaxy S III GUIDE
VZW Galaxy Note II GUIDE
The Following User Says Thank You to droidstyle For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bond32
Old
Thanks Meter 120
Default Re: Questions about Unlocking or Recovering from a Soft Brick? LOOK HERE BEFORE POSTI

Nicely done. Maybe it will help

droidstyle
Old
Thanks Meter 3,368

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by bond32 View Post
Nicely done. Maybe it will help

Thx...yea hope so! figured it couldnt hurt anyway.
Devices:
VZW Galaxy S III
Asus T. Prime
---------
VZW Galaxy S III GUIDE
VZW Galaxy Note II GUIDE

jayharper08
Old
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 7,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by droidstyle View Post
now if we can just get it stickied!!
I see no reason why it can't be.

Good job, just be sure to keep up to date with it.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jayharper08 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

droidstyle
Old
Thanks Meter 3,368

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayharper08 View Post
I see no reason why it can't be.

Good job, just be sure to keep up to date with it.
will do
Devices:
VZW Galaxy S III
Asus T. Prime
---------
VZW Galaxy S III GUIDE
VZW Galaxy Note II GUIDE
The Following User Says Thank You to droidstyle For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kintwofan
Old
Thanks Meter 2,843

DONATE TO ME

Nice! Now let's hope people read it.

yeyah
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Error while using Casual R311b

Noob here. Just got my Note II, on VRALL4

I am trying to unlock using the Adam's instructions to the letter (and viewing the instructional video), but I keep getting

ERROR: Protocol initialisation failed!Your device should be rebooting into Android now.

The phone stays in download mode and never reboots back into Android. I've tried different USB ports, installed the drivers from Samsung Kies (I uninstalled the Kies software after getting the drivers). Tried searching through the instructional thread, but couldn't find any concrete answers. Not sure what to try next.

kintwofan
Old
Thanks Meter 2,843

DONATE TO ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeyah View Post
Noob here. Just got my Note II, on VRALL4

I am trying to unlock using the Adam's instructions to the letter (and viewing the instructional video), but I keep getting

ERROR: Protocol initialisation failed!Your device should be rebooting into Android now.

The phone stays in download mode and never reboots back into Android. I've tried different USB ports, installed the drivers from Samsung Kies (I uninstalled the Kies software after getting the drivers). Tried searching through the instructional thread, but couldn't find any concrete answers. Not sure what to try next.
I haven't followed the new instructions yet, but have you tried manually turning your phone back on to see if it will just pick back up in the process?