Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Questions about Unlocking or Recovering from a Soft Brick? LOOK HERE BEFORE POSTING!!

OP droidstyle

19th March 2013, 01:05 AM   |  #1  
OP Recognized Contributor
Flag Fort Wayne
Thanks Meter: 3,435

6,187 posts
Donate to Me
More
I felt the need to create a thread explaining things a bit better. Lets get started shall we!!

1) As most folks know the I605 Galaxy Note 2 shipped with a locked bootloader. This means you Can Not flash any custom roms/kernels/ or recoveries until you unlock the bootloader!! Failure to comply will result in a yellow triangle stating "unsupported software detected"!

2) If you flashed custom software on your device without unlocking, please refer to Section 1B of my GUIDE in development section. This will bring your device back up and running in stock condition!!

3) Now you can proceed to Adams latest "Jailbreak" thread for for rooting/unlocking/flashing a custom recovery. Make sure to only use the method that applies to the firmware/bootloader version that was previously on your device.

VRAMC3 - http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2272066

VRALL4 - http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2118348

VRALJB- http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2043636 (Unless you purchased this device within the first month of release, and never accepted a OTA, Do Not use this link).

4) And last of all, folks never accept any OTA's!! There is no reason to!! Now that your device has been rooted, unlocked, and running twrp recovery, you can now download any latest update.zip from the dev section and flash in recovery. The Devs here are always fast at packaging up the OTA into a zip format so we can update via cwm or twrp recovery. There are a couple reasons why I prefer this method,

1. Future OTA updates may relock the device permanently! There is no gurantee a unlock method will be achieved for the next OTA.

2. .Zip roms are normally smaller, so they take less time to download and imo are easier to install.

3. OTA's can sometimes fail and soft brick the device.

So please read through this thread thoroughly and remember research twice, flash once! Hopefully this helps...

**Also Note the VRUEMJ9 4.3 OTA update locked the bootloader and there is no current unlock method**
Last edited by droidstyle; 20th January 2014 at 03:56 PM.
The Following 37 Users Say Thank You to droidstyle For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th March 2013, 02:41 AM   |  #2  
Flag Irmo, SC
Thanks Meter: 2,882

5,062 posts
Donate to Me
More
Re: Questions about Unlocking or Recovering from a Soft Brick? LOOK HERE BEFORE POSTI
This was way overdue good work droidstyle

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kintwofan For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th March 2013, 03:01 AM   |  #3  
Flag Fort Wayne

6,187 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kintwofan

This was way overdue good work droidstyle

now if we can just get it stickied!!
The Following User Says Thank You to droidstyle For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th March 2013, 03:03 AM   |  #4  
Knoxville
Thanks Meter: 120

671 posts
More
Re: Questions about Unlocking or Recovering from a Soft Brick? LOOK HERE BEFORE POSTI
Nicely done. Maybe it will help

19th March 2013, 04:38 AM   |  #5  
Flag Fort Wayne

6,187 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bond32

Nicely done. Maybe it will help

Thx...yea hope so! figured it couldnt hurt anyway.
19th March 2013, 02:49 PM   |  #6  
Forum Moderator
Flag Jacksonville, Fl.
Thanks Meter: 8,096

6,015 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by droidstyle

now if we can just get it stickied!!

I see no reason why it can't be.

Good job, just be sure to keep up to date with it.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jayharper08 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th March 2013, 02:51 PM   |  #7  
Flag Fort Wayne

6,187 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayharper08

I see no reason why it can't be.

Good job, just be sure to keep up to date with it.

will do
The Following User Says Thank You to droidstyle For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th March 2013, 04:07 PM   |  #8  
Flag Irmo, SC

5,062 posts
Donate to Me
More
Nice! Now let's hope people read it.

22nd March 2013, 01:21 AM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 0

4 posts
Error while using Casual R311b
Noob here. Just got my Note II, on VRALL4

I am trying to unlock using the Adam's instructions to the letter (and viewing the instructional video), but I keep getting

ERROR: Protocol initialisation failed!Your device should be rebooting into Android now.

The phone stays in download mode and never reboots back into Android. I've tried different USB ports, installed the drivers from Samsung Kies (I uninstalled the Kies software after getting the drivers). Tried searching through the instructional thread, but couldn't find any concrete answers. Not sure what to try next.
22nd March 2013, 01:38 AM   |  #10  
Flag Irmo, SC

5,062 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeyah

Noob here. Just got my Note II, on VRALL4

I am trying to unlock using the Adam's instructions to the letter (and viewing the instructional video), but I keep getting

ERROR: Protocol initialisation failed!Your device should be rebooting into Android now.

The phone stays in download mode and never reboots back into Android. I've tried different USB ports, installed the drivers from Samsung Kies (I uninstalled the Kies software after getting the drivers). Tried searching through the instructional thread, but couldn't find any concrete answers. Not sure what to try next.

I haven't followed the new instructions yet, but have you tried manually turning your phone back on to see if it will just pick back up in the process?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread