[Q] Can't decide on a custom ROM!

OP YuriPan

25th June 2014, 09:39 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Flag Athens
Thanks Meter: 1

48 posts
More
I have a KFHD 7" (2012 model), it's rooted, the latest TWRP is installed and I'm currently running Kinology. From time to time it seems to be unnecessarily freezing and overheating (this used to happen for a long time now, but it doesn't seem to affect its performance from what I've seen) and I'm thinking of trying something new since it's already acting up.

I am currently using the latest Kinology, after I updated it to the latest version the freezing seemed to reduce visibly, but I still want to change the ROM. I was between PAC-MAN (http://forum.pac-rom.com/Thread-4-4-...ndle-Fire-HD-7) and CM11 (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2543455).

I was going to go for PAC-MAN but I'm having some issues figuring out which the latest stable version is, since they say they have updated to 4.4 but in their downloads I can't find it in the folders with the stables. I've asked many times in their site and their thread about KFHD here in xda but I haven't received an answer yet. I could just go for CM but I have some questions about it...

So what I need the rom I'll choose to do is:
  • run the kindle reading app normally (I don't care about the carusel, I just want normal access to my mobi files
  • run games ok
  • not freeze for no reason (I mean, the main purpose of flashing something new is to make my tablet run faster not slower)
  • have the facebook messenger work properly (since I installed kinology, unless I have "chat heads" manually opened and left to run, I get no notifications about new messages)
  • have the wifi and bluetooth working

So I need people who have CM or PAC-MAN to tell me if either of these roms has these features. Oh, also, I've seen there's some feature they call "OTA". What is that? I think when I rooted my kindle I had to make sure to disable those so that it wouldn't get randomly updated and undo my root? If someone could explain that to me I'd be grateful!

Oh and one more thing. With custom roms such as those two, are amazon's apps installed and running in the background for no reason just like they do if you have the stock rom, or are they disabled/uninstalled...?
Last edited by YuriPan; 25th June 2014 at 04:28 PM.
25th June 2014, 01:59 PM   |  #2  
Unknown
Thanks Meter: 328

562 posts
More
With custom roms there is no such thing as Amazon apps. I suggest CM because of its reputation and support. But PAC is not bad.
OTA is Over the Air upate. If you receive an OTA in a custom rom,there is no reason for you to lose root.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SafinWasi For This Useful Post: [ View ]
25th June 2014, 04:03 PM   |  #3  
OP Member
Flag Athens

48 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafinWasi

With custom roms there is no such thing as Amazon apps. I suggest CM because of its reputation and support. But PAC is not bad.
OTA is Over the Air upate. If you receive an OTA in a custom rom,there is no reason for you to lose root.

Ok, so if I want some of Amazon's apps all I have to do is download them from the appstore, right? (So relieved, I only ever used the reading app). So if it PAC has OTA, even if I install an older version (like 3.2 that I've found with certainty), it can install the latest on its own without me messing any more with the 2nd bootloader? I was hoping to try PAC before CM and to use CM only if PAC presents more issues than I can handle...
Last edited by YuriPan; 25th June 2014 at 04:27 PM.
25th June 2014, 04:08 PM   |  #4  
Unknown

562 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by YuriPan

Ok, so if I want some of Amazon's apps all I have to do is download them from the appstore, right? (So relieved, I only ever used the reading app). So if it PAC has OTA, even if I install an older version (like 3.2 that I've found with certainty), it can install the latest on its own without me messing any more with the 2nd bootloader? I was hoping to try PAC before CM and to use CM only if PAC presents more issues than I can handle...

I seriously recommend CM. Even if you get any issues,the CM team will fix it MUCH faster than PAC. As for the Amazon Apps,I don't think all of them will be on the Play Store. But the Kindle reading app will.(I used it before)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SafinWasi For This Useful Post: [ View ]
25th June 2014, 04:25 PM   |  #5  
OP Member
Flag Athens

48 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafinWasi

I seriously recommend CM. Even if you get any issues,the CM team will fix it MUCH faster than PAC. As for the Amazon Apps,I don't think all of them will be on the Play Store. But the Kindle reading app will.(I used it before)

Hmmm, then I might try CM11 today. It's true that in PAC they probably don't update too often, they don't even seem to check if people make questions or have issues too often. I've asked about which version to download a bunch of times in many different threads that they've made, and it's been 3 weeks and I'm still waiting for an answer.

One last thing. Do most games run alright in CM or are there compatibly issues? Oh, and something more. Does the playstore see the device as a kindle or as something else?
26th June 2014, 05:25 AM   |  #6  
Unknown

562 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by YuriPan

Hmmm, then I might try CM11 today. It's true that in PAC they probably don't update too often, they don't even seem to check if people make questions or have issues too often. I've asked about which version to download a bunch of times in many different threads that they've made, and it's been 3 weeks and I'm still waiting for an answer.

One last thing. Do most games run alright in CM or are there compatibly issues? Oh, and something more. Does the playstore see the device as a kindle or as something else?

Yep. I enjoyed Riptide GP 2. And I don't know about the latest nightly,but Hashcode's last unofficial build had the build prop set to recognise the device as an Amazon Kindle Fire HD.
The Following User Says Thank You to SafinWasi For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th June 2014, 06:09 AM   |  #7  
OP Member
Flag Athens

48 posts
More
Thank you so much for asking all my annoying questions! I sat down last night and flashed CM, set up everything and so far it's running smoothly. I tried some of the games I used to play and they seem to be running alright as well. I'm having some issues with the kindle reading app though, I downloaded it and logged in but it says it can't sync now and to try again later. I will try again later and see if it gets fixed...
26th June 2014, 07:16 AM   |  #8  
Flag Walk -n- Dont walk
Thanks Meter: 7

49 posts
More
Thumbs up
Short and sweet... I love and recomend CyanogenMod.I use it on my kindlefire 1, 2 and 3 and I hope to

have it on this 2nd gen HD I'm working on now. With CM the possibilities are endless and anyone can easily customize

the kindle into a lean mean tablet with ease.... Thank You CM Team!
27th June 2014, 07:13 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 0

5 posts
I took the plunge last night after having many issues with my Kindle Fire HD 7 that had been rooted and had both Amazon OS and Android. It started acting crazy after the last OTA that I thought I had shut off. Anyway, I re-rooted it, installed twrp 2.7.0.0, and then flashed it with cm-11-20140414-UNOFFICIAL-tate. Everything went smoothly and seems to work great. It also seems much faster now. Once I got all my account stuff setup, I did an update that it showed as being a stable version. I am now running cm-11-20140609-SNAPSHOT-M7. All my kindle books load up and I can read them on the device or cloud and was also able to find almost all of the games that I had before on my Kindle. It just seems so much nicer and faster now!
28th June 2014, 09:21 AM   |  #10  
OP Member
Flag Athens

48 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg2074

I took the plunge last night after having many issues with my Kindle Fire HD 7 that had been rooted and had both Amazon OS and Android. It started acting crazy after the last OTA that I thought I had shut off. Anyway, I re-rooted it, installed twrp 2.7.0.0, and then flashed it with cm-11-20140414-UNOFFICIAL-tate. Everything went smoothly and seems to work great. It also seems much faster now. Once I got all my account stuff setup, I did an update that it showed as being a stable version. I am now running cm-11-20140609-SNAPSHOT-M7. All my kindle books load up and I can read them on the device or cloud and was also able to find almost all of the games that I had before on my Kindle. It just seems so much nicer and faster now!

I decided to try out CM as well. Installed the latest stable version and it is indeed running much faster! I've never seen the keyboard not lag and the websites taking so little to load, so I'm satisfied so far. The Kindle app doesn't seem to be working for me though... I logged in my amazon account normally and every time I try to download books I don't even see a list, it says it failed to synch. I'll probably go over to the CM thread and as them about it...

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
cm11, kfhd, pacman, rom
Previous Thread Next Thread