Ask a question

No registration required

Tablet [Q] Nexus7 fully bricked with APX mode Only

OP 37nook

10th October 2013, 08:26 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

4 posts
For updating to android 4.3 , I flashed my N7.
I download the package the factory image from Google .
I entered the fastboot and do things following:
Code:
fastboot erase boot
fastboot erase cache
fastboot erase recovery
fastboot erase system
fastboot erase userdata
fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-flo-flo-03.14.img
fastboot reboot-bootloader
ping -n 5 127.0.0.1 >nul
fastboot -w update image-razor-jss15r.zip
when it come to
Code:
there is a warning about the bootloader
At this time ,bootloader seems didn't chaged , it's still grouper not flo.
I modified the android-info.txt to cheat the program and the tragedy start.
The windows remind me there is 6 unknown device. And then it fully bricked.

Now, When I turn on the N7, the screen stay blank.
APX device appear while connect to PC.
Can't enter fastboot mode ,can't enter recovery. even the screen can't be lighten.

Anyone else meet the same trouble or someone can help?

Before this, I have had try the follow tools.
The Nexus7 toolkit--won't work
tegra-android-developer-pack from nvidia website tegra developer tools --won't work

nvflash and wheelie from androidroot.mobi --can't work --(It's a rediculous project I think, If the fastboot work,why we need to flash rom via nvflash)
10th October 2013, 09:05 AM   |  #2  
Flag Heidelberg
Thanks Meter: 345

1,608 posts
Sorry, but if you really flashed the files above, you have bricked your N7 completely. Probably you should have looked around and informed yourself before starting to flash files which are not compatible with the N7.

Btw. if you had used wheelie before, you would have some recovery files and you would be able to recover yourself from the brick. So it's not a ridiculous project at all.
10th October 2013, 11:14 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 257

805 posts
More
I thought it's common sense to read, read, read and read a bit more faqs/how-tos/guides before doing anything to a device.
First of all, 'grouper' is the codename of the 1st gen N7 Wi-Fi (the 2012 model) while 'flo' is the 2nd gen N7 (2013 model), so you can't flash ones image to the other device.
Secondly, your device might be saved, but only if you still can access it with fastboot. If so, then flash the proper images for your device using a toolkit or a guide, if not, then you have a nice paperweight.
10th October 2013, 03:03 PM   |  #4  
Flag Ashton-under-Lyne, Manchester, UK
Thanks Meter: 401

663 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by 37nook

For updating to android 4.3 , I flashed my N7.
I download the package the factory image from Google .
I entered the fastboot and do things following:

Code:
fastboot erase boot
fastboot erase cache
fastboot erase recovery
fastboot erase system
fastboot erase userdata
fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-flo-flo-03.14.img
ping -n 5 127.0.0.1 >nul
when it come to
Code:
there is a warning about the bootloader
At this time ,bootloader seems didn't chaged , it's still grouper not flo.
I modified the android-info.txt to cheat the program and the tragedy start.
The windows remind me there is 6 unknown device. And then it fully bricked.

Now, When I turn on the N7, the screen stay blank.
APX device appear while connect to PC.
Can't enter fastboot mode ,can't enter recovery. even the screen can't be lighten.

Anyone else meet the same trouble or someone can help?

Before this, I have had try the follow tools.
The Nexus7 toolkit--won't work
tegra-android-developer-pack from nvidia website tegra developer tools --won't work

nvflash and wheelie from androidroot.mobi --can't work --(It's a rediculous project I think, If the fastboot work,why we need to flash rom via nvflash)

This is a text book example of what happens when people don't read enough, and don't fully understand what they're doing. And it's not as if there aren't enough guides and how-to's here on XDA... and even on other forums!

Hi, 37nook...

You have almost certainly over-written your bootloader with a completely incompatible version designed for a different tablet (2nd gen Nexus 7)... and thus you are hardbricked. This is why you can't access fastboot mode and why your tablet defaults to APX mode when you hook it up to your PC.

And unless you had at some point run the flatline procedure BEFORE being bricked, your tablet is unrecoverable.

Regarding flatline (nvFlash) itself, it's designed, primarily as an emergency recovery measure... and not as a replacement for fastboot, as you seem to suggest in your post. It's preemptive and needs to have been executed before being 'bricked' in order to generate your own unique 'wheelie blobs', which are created on a per-device basis. Without these, nvFlash alone is useless.

It's not much comfort, I know... but I can only suggest you chalk this down to experience, and next time, with whatever tablet/phone you next end up with.... PAY ATTENTION TO WHAT YOUR DOING, AND READ EVERYTHING, and if you're still a little unsure... POST A QUESTION. Better to feel like you're asking a dumb question (which might not be so dumb), than end up with an expensive paperweight.

Rgrds,
Ged.
Last edited by GedBlake; 10th October 2013 at 03:09 PM. Reason: typos corrected
The Following User Says Thank You to GedBlake For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th October 2013, 03:15 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

4 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndDiSa

Sorry, but if you really flashed the files above, you have bricked your N7 completely. Probably you should have looked around and informed yourself before starting to flash files which are not compatible with the N7.

Btw. if you had used wheelie before, you would have some recovery files and you would be able to recover yourself from the brick. So it's not a ridiculous project at all.

nvflash is not a good choice for one to flash his device because of higher risk.
there is too many tools available with a lower risk.
That's the reason I didn't use wheelie before.
You are right, I am a very impatient person, and now I get a lesson.
10th October 2013, 03:29 PM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member

4 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erovia

I thought it's common sense to read, read, read and read a bit more faqs/how-tos/guides before doing anything to a device.
First of all, 'grouper' is the codename of the 1st gen N7 Wi-Fi (the 2012 model) while 'flo' is the 2nd gen N7 (2013 model), so you can't flash ones image to the other device.
Secondly, your device might be saved, but only if you still can access it with fastboot. If so, then flash the proper images for your device using a toolkit or a guide, if not, then you have a nice paperweight.

It's actually a nice paperweight now.
Thank you for your reply which tells me where I went wrong.
It's a really serious mistake, and it's also a painful story.
I can't access it with fastboot ,so said.
10th October 2013, 03:51 PM   |  #7  
OP Junior Member

4 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GedBlake

This is a text book example of what happens when people don't read enough, and don't fully understand what they're doing. And it's not as if there aren't enough guides and how-to's here on XDA... and even on other forums!

Hi, 37nook...

You have almost certainly over-written your bootloader with a completely incompatible version designed for a different tablet (2nd gen Nexus 7)... and thus you are hardbricked. This is why you can't access fastboot mode and why your tablet defaults to APX mode when you hook it up to your PC.

And unless you had at some point run thev flatline procedure BEFORE being bricked, your tablet is unrecoverable.

Regarding flatline (nvFlash) itself, it's designed, primarily as an emergency recovery measure... and not as a replacement for fastboot, as you seem to suggest in your post. It's preemptive and needs to have been executed before being 'bricked' in order to generate your own unique 'wheelie blobs', which are created on a per-device basis. Without these, nvFlash alone is useless.

It's not much comfort, I know... but I can only suggest you chalk this down to experience, and next time, with whatever tablet/phone you next end up with.... PAY ATTENTION TO WHAT YOUR DOING, AND READ EVERYTHING, and if you're still a little unsure... POST A QUESTION. Better to feel like you're asking a dumb question (which might not be so dumb), than end up with an expensive paperweight.

Rgrds,
Ged.

Thank you for your suggestion
There is still a question
I actually run these code twice.
First time a got a warning. because of the file content of android-info.txt in image-razor-jss15r.zip
the code
Code:
must have been executed, and the bootloader is still grouper.
means the code
Code:
fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-flo-flo-03.14_img
didn't work
And the second time
Code:
led to the tragedy because I modified the android-info_txt in image-razor-jss15r_zip
What happened in updating image-razor-jss15r_zip ?
10th October 2013, 04:26 PM   |  #8  
Flag Ashton-under-Lyne, Manchester, UK
Thanks Meter: 401

663 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by 37nook

Thank you for your suggestion
There is still a question
I actually run these code twice.
First time a got a warning. because of the file content of android-info.txt in image-razor-jss15r.zip
the code

Code:
must have been executed, and the bootloader is still grouper.
means the code
Code:
fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-flo-flo-03.14_img
didn't work
And the second time
Code:
led to the tragedy because I modified the android-info_txt in image-razor-jss15r_zip
What happened in updating image-razor-jss15r_zip ?

That is indeed puzzling... if after flashing the incorrect bootloader, and the bootloader is still showing as 'grouper' AFTER fastboot reboot-bootloader, then I'm puzzled.

I'm also further puzzled, that the rest of the flash went ahead... seemingly successfully. I know on my 'grouper', when fastboot flashing back to factory stock... if the bootloader isn't the correct version (for that version of factory stock), the flash aborts with the message 'Incorrect bootloader version'. I'm not sufficiently knowledgable though, concerning the specific details of the second gen Nexus 7 and it's associated stock factory images, to make further comment.

It's just possible (though unlikely), you might just be stuck in APX mode, instead of having a corrupted bootloader.

I assume you've tried all the usual button press combos... detailed here.

If you can boot into the bootloader, your Nexus 7 is recoverable... though I'm not optimistic.

Rgrds,
Ged.
28th November 2013, 07:58 AM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 2

56 posts
OP, did you ever have any luck?
28th November 2013, 10:32 AM   |  #10  
Flag Rawalpindi
Thanks Meter: 150

664 posts
More
Quote: