Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,452 Members 42,098 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Note 10.1 as USB Wacom for PC?

Tip us?

alec.brown
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Note 10.1 as USB Wacom for PC?

I could not find that this question has been asked, sorry if it has.

I was wondering if there could be a way for the galaxy note 10.1 to function as a standard wacom tablet for use on a computer through USB or something, like a bamboo or intuos tablet. Possibly even like a cintiq using remote desktop and photoshop?

Just wondering, thanks

Kikoshi
Old
Thanks Meter 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by alec.brown View Post

I was wondering if there could be a way for the galaxy note 10.1 to function as a standard wacom tablet for use on a computer through USB or something, like a bamboo or intuos tablet. Possibly even like a cintiq using remote desktop and photoshop?

Just wondering, thanks
When and if the scene gets bigger, im sure it would be possible.."HOPING"

Magnesus
Old
Thanks Meter 101
I was also thinking if pressure sensitivity would work through RDP/VNC - that would allow using desktop paiting apps on tablet (although with some limitation - RDP/VNC mostly has less colors and some lag).

alec.brown
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnesus View Post
I was also thinking if pressure sensitivity would work through RDP/VNC - that would allow using desktop paiting apps on tablet (although with some limitation - RDP/VNC mostly has less colors and some lag).
That's what I was thinking of. I know the remote desktop clients are a little laggy on tablets and maybe not ideal, but at the very least it would be fun to paint with the Note on my PC. I don't know how small the market is for using this tablet like a wacom pad, and the note 10.1 is kind of niche on it's own, but for people like me who draw casually and don't want to drop more cash on a wacom it's ideal.

Kikoshi
Old
Thanks Meter 31
Quote:
That's what I was thinking of. I know the remote desktop clients are a little laggy on tablets and maybe not ideal, but at the very least it would be fun to paint with the Note on my PC. I don't know how small the market is for using this tablet like a wacom pad, and the note 10.1 is kind of niche on it's own, but for people like me who draw casually and don't want to drop more cash on a wacom it's ideal.
This the main reason why i obtained it, Samsung/Wacom! They knew exactly who to go for, unlike HTC.
Sad though, i was hopping that HTC did grew over it, but nope.

brocken_5110
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:

Just wondering, thanks
As a USB-conncected input peripheral - probably not. "Penabled" digitizers such as the one in the SGN10.1 use a different set of software drivers than the Intuos and Bamboo non-display digitizers. This is because the underlying hardware is different; Penabled styli cannot be used interchangeably with Intuos/Bamboo styli, although many of the nibs (regular, felt, stroke) can fit either type of stylus. Technically it may be possible, but Wacom probably wants to maintain a clear distinction between its' product lines.

With remote desktop software - yes, but there may be mismatches of screen resolution which would complicate fine-line drawing control, and pressure response would be lost. And added lag due to the remote connection.

Best to get a Bamboo or Intuos if you really need a graphics tablet for a desktop/laptop - the software drivers allow scaling the digitizer area to single and multiple displays; more levels of pressure response; and stylus tilt response and touchpad controls are available on the Intuos series. (But not cheap - the Intuos 6x8 runs about $350.)

DBBGBA
Old
Thanks Meter 28
Search for a cheaper intuous 2, 3 or 4 used. They are good tablets, the new ones are not that different in functionality, just thinner (the 4 is just as thin as the 5) as an added bonus you gain pen rotation and the eraser on the other side of the pen (which I use but not everybody does).

If you really want something smaller and don't care about the rotation of the pen then get a bamboo (as usual if you want slightly cheaper get a used older model).

brocken_5110
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBBGBA View Post
Search for a cheaper intuous 2, 3 or 4 used. They are good tablets, the new ones are not that different in functionality, just thinner (the 4 is just as thin as the 5) as an added bonus you gain pen rotation and the eraser on the other side of the pen (which I use but not everybody does).

If you really want something smaller and don't care about the rotation of the pen then get a bamboo (as usual if you want slightly cheaper get a used older model).
Yes, good advice - my Intuos2 from 2002 is still good. Doesn't have the touchpad controls of the current Intuos5, but works fine. Wacom driver updates still include the Intuos2, from WinXP to Win7, and probably beyond. Styli, nibs, and most accessories are still available for the Intuos2 as well.

Ayle87
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:

Just wondering, thanks
Getting a Galaxy Note at the end of the week, this is the first thing that crossed my mind, if it could double as a Cintiq. My best guess is that its possible, specially considering the power inside the tablet, and maybe a usb 3.0 connection -____- Still haven't seen any sofware up to it though. I would gladly pay for any software that enabled this. Otherwise, I guess Sketchbook Pro for Android will do, I have used it with a capacitive stylus (ugh) and it did ok, can't wait to get Wacom superpowers on the go =) I also own an old HP PC tablet with an active digitizer, but its to heavy lo lug around daily, and a wacom bamboo for my PC tower, so I have high expectations on this. I just cannot wait to put my hands on the Note.

BTW for the phone Note, there is this, dunno if it works on the tablet:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_JeueI7aLE

Nimel
Old
Thanks Meter 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayle87 View Post
Getting a Galaxy Note at the end of the week, this is the first thing that crossed my mind, if it could double as a Cintiq. My best guess is that its possible, specially considering the power inside the tablet, and maybe a usb 3.0 connection -____- Still haven't seen any sofware up to it though. I would gladly pay for any software that enabled this. Otherwise, I guess Sketchbook Pro for Android will do, I have used it with a capacitive stylus (ugh) and it did ok, can't wait to get Wacom superpowers on the go =) I also own an old HP PC tablet with an active digitizer, but its to heavy lo lug around daily, and a wacom bamboo for my PC tower, so I have high expectations on this. I just cannot wait to put my hands on the Note.

BTW for the phone Note, there is this, dunno if it works on the tablet:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_JeueI7aLE

Wow, see this:
http://www.piip.lv/galaxy_note_digit...et_for_pc.html

And at another tread, Angelo Troedhan told us about app "Unified Remote" , I think soon we would have full cintiq powers and use our device also with desktop software.

The Following User Says Thank You to Nimel For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]