OMG, Why Hasn't T-Mobile Released Android "L" yet

Search This thread

getochkn

Dec 25, 2010
I'm surprised we don't have any people asking (cough whinning) that the dev's don't have a "L" release ready for them yet, or begging for ETA's.

JustZaphod

Oct 22, 2013
Nowhere
I'm surprised we don't have any people asking (cough whinning) that the dev's don't have a "L" release ready for them yet, or begging for ETA's.

Easy answer, Android "L" has not been released to the masses at all..
I think your refering to Android 4.4.2 Kitkat which should be released any day now.
Likely and wishfully they will give us 4.4.4 instead.. But "L" Has not been even announced yet

getochkn

Dec 25, 2010
I'm pretty sure that the op was just being sarcastic...

Sent from my SGH-T999L using XDA Free mobile app

Yup. lol.

Easy answer, Android "L" has not been released to the masses at all..
I think your refering to Android 4.4.2 Kitkat which should be released any day now.
Likely and wishfully they will give us 4.4.4 instead.. But "L" Has not been even announced yet

Why wishfully do they you want 4.4.4 so bad over 4.4.2? It's a few minor security updates, nothing functionally different from 4.4.2

And "L" has been announced. I was being sarcastic being usually with an announcement like this, people start up already asking when will my device get it.

JustZaphod

Oct 22, 2013
Nowhere
Pretty sure Towelroot wont work as of 4.4.4. Maybe even 4.4.3. Not sure on that one though.

I read somewhere, I think it was in the S5 Forums, if I find it.. I'll post it..
but it read somewhere that the Towelroot was NOT affected by the update..

Can't quote, but I think I saw it on a XDA Youtube Video..

EDIT: and at the time you mentioned when will "L" be announced..
At that current time, Google said they would make their "official" announcement the following day..

EDIT2: Here is all the info needed on Towelroot: http://lifehacker.com/towelroot-roots-android-kitkat-devices-in-one-tap-no-p-1592226618

Last edited:

LordPhong

Apr 19, 2005
I have a feeling that our beloved S3 won't be able to handle the L. I know it's only a dev preview but even the Nexus 5 lagged quite a bit.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

TheLastSidekick

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Aug 4, 2012
I had read that the exploit used by towelroot has been patched on all kernels dated after June 6.
I'm late but that's not the case. Nexus 5 at least had an update to a kernel past June 6th to 4.4.4 and the exploit is still unpatched. Some devices may have it merged or not but rest assured this will be patched by July's end. This will certainly not work on L when you guys get pushed AOSP to state the obvious. Here's to hoping you guys don't get an official update that breaks root.

Seeing a stupid comment on Google Play about an app you love and marking it as "spam". You've done it too.

Last edited:
Reactions: DocHoliday77

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
I doubt we will get an update like that, though I won't discount the possibility. If what ive heard is correct (and I have no reason to believe its not), Samsung sent T-Mobile the final build for our updates weeks ago. Just for whatever reason they seem to just be sitting on it. Its not like T-Mobile to do something like that, but considering we were usually the first or second to get updates on the S3, and just about every other variant has been updated, I dont see any other viable explanation.

In the AT&T forums, a couple of the Canadian carriers (Rogers and Fido I think) got another kk update from NE6 to NF2 a couple days ago. Those who updated are reporting Towelroot and Framaroot no longer work.

Not that it matters too much for us here though. Our bootloaders are not locked so we can still root by several other methods if need be. I feel bad for Verizon and AT&T S5 owners though....they may have to start yet another massive bounty thread!

Reactions: TheLastSidekick

TheLastSidekick

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Aug 4, 2012
I doubt we will get an update like that, though I won't discount the possibility. If what ive heard is correct (and I have no reason to believe its not), Samsung sent T-Mobile the final build for our updates weeks ago. Just for whatever reason they seem to just be sitting on it. Its not like T-Mobile to do something like that, but considering we were usually the first or second to get updates on the S3, and just about every other variant has been updated, I dont see any other viable explanation.

In the AT&T forums, a couple of the Canadian carriers (Rogers and Fido I think) got another kk update from NE6 to NF2 a couple days ago. Those who updated are reporting Towelroot and Framaroot no longer work.

Not that it matters too much for us here though. Our bootloaders are not locked so we can still root by several other methods if need be. I feel bad for Verizon and AT&T S5 owners though....they may have to start yet another massive bounty thread!
Haha geohot is known for making every tech company look like morons. I'd give it a week before he does it again.

Seeing a stupid comment on Google Play about an app you love and marking it as "spam". You've done it too.

jpcdeux

Mar 26, 2010
Laporte, IN
Really? This pos hasn't even gotten KK and you want L? That's still in development mind you

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I had read that the exploit used by towelroot has been patched on all kernels dated after June 6.
    I'm late but that's not the case. Nexus 5 at least had an update to a kernel past June 6th to 4.4.4 and the exploit is still unpatched. Some devices may have it merged or not but rest assured this will be patched by July's end. This will certainly not work on L when you guys get pushed AOSP to state the obvious. Here's to hoping you guys don't get an official update that breaks root.

I'll delete my post tomorrow. I'd rather not argue on here. I just can't delete from my phone.