Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,368 Members 51,023 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Lenovo Thinkpad 8

Tip us?

NickFritz
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Default Lenovo Thinkpad 8

Anyone else ordered one of these. Can't wait till mine arrives.. 1080p in 8 inch's

fujitsujeff
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFritz View Post
Anyone else ordered one of these. Can't wait till mine arrives.. 1080p in 8 inch's
Yeah I did about a week ago. Patiently waiting. Doesn't look like I will see it until March.

NickFritz
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fujitsujeff View Post
Yeah I did about a week ago. Patiently waiting. Doesn't look like I will see it until March.
Why March?

Mine says Shipping 11 Feb

Did they push back the date?

Snusmumriken
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Why March?

Mine says Shipping 11 Feb

Did they push back the date?
When did you order yours and what model? Are you in the US? Mine says delivery in March too and I ordered on the 29th.

NickFritz
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snusmumriken View Post
When did you order yours and what model? Are you in the US? Mine says delivery in March too and I ordered on the 29th.
My delivery date says 11 Feb 2014

But I'm in Australia
Ordered on the 30th

Snusmumriken
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
My delivery date says 11 Feb 2014

But I'm in Australia
Ordered on the 30th
What's your current status? Mine says Released to manufacturing.

NickFritz
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snusmumriken View Post
What's your current status? Mine says Released to manufacturing.
Mine just says Order Received

Snusmumriken
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Lenovo has lowered the price now to $379. I have asked if they will charge my card with the new price or if the old price stays..

Ryou_Concord
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Can you charge and mount USB at the same time with this thing?

The realization that there's only one USB port on this device made me wonder if it shared this limitation, and from what I've read, it does. Can anybody confirm this? I can't settle for rumors and stringing together nebulous conjectures. Once they appear in my local Best Buy/MicroCenter I'll be testing this myself, of course.

If anybody's got it, I'd really like to know that. That's kind of the deal-breaker for me. It was the biggest reason I didn't get the Venue 8 Pro (that, and lack of reliable video-out). I don't mind carrying a host cable around with me everywhere either, or the spare battery... or even a tiny USB hub. I just want to know that I can use USB and charge at the same time so I can have a very mobile "desktop" experience wherever I decide to bust out my tablet. No more damn Chromecast bugginess, no more damn finnicky MHL connectors.

I know that the Venue 8 Pro simply cannot do two at the same time; I tested this fact in the store by connecting a host cable, a power source (2.1amp rav power backup battery) and a USB thumb drive. Mounts just fine with a USB OTG cable, but will just not mount and charge at the same time.

SixSixSevenSeven
Old
Thanks Meter 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryou_Concord View Post
Can you charge and mount USB at the same time with this thing?

The realization that there's only one USB port on this device made me wonder if it shared this limitation, and from what I've read, it does. Can anybody confirm this? I can't settle for rumors and stringing together nebulous conjectures. Once they appear in my local Best Buy/MicroCenter I'll be testing this myself, of course.

If anybody's got it, I'd really like to know that. That's kind of the deal-breaker for me. It was the biggest reason I didn't get the Venue 8 Pro (that, and lack of reliable video-out). I don't mind carrying a host cable around with me everywhere either, or the spare battery... or even a tiny USB hub. I just want to know that I can use USB and charge at the same time so I can have a very mobile "desktop" experience wherever I decide to bust out my tablet. No more damn Chromecast bugginess, no more damn finnicky MHL connectors.

I know that the Venue 8 Pro simply cannot do two at the same time; I tested this fact in the store by connecting a host cable, a power source (2.1amp rav power backup battery) and a USB thumb drive. Mounts just fine with a USB OTG cable, but will just not mount and charge at the same time.
Very few devices can. Most USB Hubs cannot backfeed power, so you cannot use USB host adapters to a powered USB hub to charge the tablet most of the time, regardless of if it actually supports charging while in host mode, there is a raspberry pi compatibility list which lists a few hubs which can or cannot backfeed power (the pi can be backpowered via its USB host ports but this is not recommended and can conflict with other inputs). Most tablets though require the D+ and D- wires in the USB connector to be shorted together to enter charging mode, otherwise they will only trickle charge (or not at all), with D+ and D- shorted you cannot transmit data. Turns it into a case of data or power only.

Frankly, you want the desktop experience, yet are purchasing something running 32 bit windows on an intel atom wih 2gb of RAM and either 32 or 64gb of eMMC storage. I think an i5 device would probably be more up your street, most of them have separate power supplies and USB host ports.