New to S5: Update to nf6?

Search This thread

CamoCustom

Apr 16, 2012
Hello, I recently got my s5,had rooted with towelroot, then updated with kies to ne6,then rerooted again so I can have my titanium backup back. Question is, should I install the nf6 update and lose root, I am not in a location for the volte coverage, I am near Tampa fl. From what I understand it's mainly for this volte coverage.

Sent from my DROID Razr M using Tapatalk

joking

Oct 9, 2007
Hello, I recently got my s5,had rooted with towelroot, then updated with kies to ne6,then rerooted again so I can have my titanium backup back. Question is, should I install the nf6 update and lose root, I am not in a location for the volte coverage, I am near Tampa fl. From what I understand it's mainly for this volte coverage.

There is a way to update to nf6 and keep root. Read it here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2790292

You'll never know when your area will have volte coverage. :)

CamoCustom

Apr 16, 2012
Now, I'm coming from Verizon service and have had a Droid Bionic and Razr m both 4g of course, what is the voice over LTE, what are the pros and cons, never heard of it before.

Also, for the record I am not new to modding and tinkering, first rooted and themed on Droid x2,then the Bionic, then had my Razr m bootloader unlocked. Not a total newb to this, just to T-Mobile and the s5 :)

joking

Oct 9, 2007
Well from what I see, the different in the new update is when you make the voice call, the signal still show 4g lte instead of drop down to 4g in the previous firmware. Also in the settings for calls you have the option to turn on/off volte. Other than that, I don't see any different on the phone operation wise.

tkeung

Jun 18, 2014
Well from what I see, the different in the new update is when you make the voice call, the signal still show 4g lte instead of drop down to 4g in the previous firmware. Also in the settings for calls you have the option to turn on/off volte. Other than that, I don't see any different on the phone operation wise.

thank you

cmdrdredd

Sep 13, 2012
Now, I'm coming from Verizon service and have had a Droid Bionic and Razr m both 4g of course, what is the voice over LTE, what are the pros and cons, never heard of it before.

Also, for the record I am not new to modding and tinkering, first rooted and themed on Droid x2,then the Bionic, then had my Razr m bootloader unlocked. Not a total newb to this, just to T-Mobile and the s5 :)

VoLTE means the network does not drop down to the slower 4G network and will remain on LTE. You will have faster internet speeds when on a call. Also it may help slightly with call clarity, but I don't notice the difference.

Also just FYI: In Tampa FL they rolled out wideband LTE so you can get faster data speeds on t-mobile now in that area. I'm in the Ft. Lauderdale area and it's not listed as a VoLTE area but VoLTE works.