Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,650 Members 38,447 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[SGH-i257m][ROOT] A Newbs Guide To Rooting & Modding the CANADIAN S4 Mini

Tip us?

ExiLeX420
Old
(Last edited by ExiLeX420; 28th March 2014 at 06:51 AM.) Reason: Fixing some errors, added proper title
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10

DONATE TO ME
Tutorial [SGH-i257m][ROOT] A Newbs Guide To Rooting & Modding the CANADIAN S4 Mini

Hey There!!

Just a little guide I threw together for all the new CANADIAN SGH-i257m S4 Mini owners out there who are looking to join the world of modded Androids

I found it quite difficult to track all the info down on Google over the last couple of weeks and have yet to find a CLEAR guide as to how to go about modding this specific model of phone, and unlocking its true potential so I figured I'd throw one up on here since everyone has been so helpful, so here it is!

* If anyone notices anything wrong or changes I need let me know!*

*Disclaimer*

First off I would like to say that I in NO WAY had anything to do with developing ANY of these methods that I am about to explain here, they are property of their respective owners, I am just placing them in a clear order for new users to follow so if anyone has any issues with this please let me know and i will fix it ASAP!

I also assume that you have backed up all of your contacts ETC on the phone to either the sim card or google or something. Its always safer to start from scratch and restore a backup right?

Also, PLEASE READ THE WHOLE GUIDE, and ANY linked posts. They have some good answers to a lot of peoples issues with rooting and whatnot

WARNING:

!*!*!*!THE METHODS EXPLAINED BELOW DO TRIP THE KNOX 0X1 WARRANTY FLAG!*!*!*!

If you are at all afraid of tripping the flag and voiding your warranty the please DO NOT continue as I, nor anyone else here are responsible for ANY damage or warranty issues you may run into after this. You are still able to flash a STOCK ROM back onto the phone but the 0x1 flag will always be there.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

Another thing I should mention is that although these posts/files are technically for the GT-i9195(LTE) model, I have tested this on my personal phone (SGH-i257m) and I assure you it works GREAT with no problems if you follow the instructions given.

If you DONT want CyanogenMod 11 and want to roll with the stock ROM, you can refer to THIS post. Just follow the instructions as if your phone is the GT-i9195

Quote:
Originally Posted by arco68
Actually, the SGH-I257M and GT-I9195 are pretty much identical in every way. Unlike the US carriers, the Canadian ones didn't see the need to go about and change everything on it.

The recovery and ROM's for the 9195 should work just fine on it. The only thing is that the model number will be set as GT-I9195. However, in latest CM11 nightlies I've added a routine which will identify which variant it is, and it will set the model number accordingly.

HERES HOW TO INSTALL CyanogenMod 11 and recovery-clockwork on your SGH-i257m:
Heres the Original Post By arco68 if your interested!

1.You need to download 4 files to your computer (linked below) and move gapps and CM 11 over to your phones internal storage
!!MAKE SURE YOU GET THE LATEST ABOVE VERSION OF CYANOGEN! IT IS THE GT-I9195 VERSION AND IS REQUIRED FOR YOUR PHONE TO WORK PROPERLY!! YOU MAY BRICK YOUR PHONE OTHERWISE

Now the fun part! After you have installed Odin and extracted recovery-clockwork-6.0.4.6-serranoltexx.tar.md5 somewhere on your pc :

2. Turn off the phone.
-Press and hold home, volume down and power. A "Download" screen should appear (a big yellow triangle, youll know when you see it)
-Connect your USB cable, and press volume up to continue.
-Start Odin, and uncheck "F. Reset Time", and then click AP button.
-Select "recovery-clockwork-6.0.4.6-serranoltexx.tar.md5" file that you previously downloaded and extracted, and press Start button (Odin might seem like it hung up when you first load the file but just let it do its thing!! It eventually let you press start). The phone will reboot when finished.
-After the phone resets (it wil vibrate) IMMEDIATELY hold volume up and home buttons to boot into recovery mode. if you miss it dont worry you can always try again.

3. Once your in recovery your going to want to wipe data/factory reset and wipe cache
4. Now choose install from sdcard and navigate to the files we put on there earlier, and install cm-11
5. When that is complete install gapps the same way you installed cm-11
6. REBOOT PHONE AND PROFIT!

Thats basically it people. After that is HIGHLY suggest going and reading the ORIGINAL posts where i got all of this info from, so you can be familiar yourselves Feel free to post any feedback or questions and ill get back to you ASAP!

Enjoy your new rooted and amazingly awesome SGH-i257m

SIDE NOTES:

1.Be sure to use the built in updater for Cyanogen! I have it set to check for updates DAILY (because its still in daily duuuuh :P ) and everything will work beautifully!

2.I DO NOT recommend restoring your apps data etc from your old rom using google backups, as it re-installs ALL the bloatware that is removed when you install CM11. Instead use an app like AppBak to give you a list of what you had so you can choose

Original Posts:

[GT-I9195][ROM][Official][4.4.2] CyanogenMod 11.0 Nightlies for S4 Mini LTE
[GT-I9190][ROM][Official][4.3.1] CyanogenMod 10.2 Nightlies for S4 Mini 3G
[RECOVERY][ROOT] Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini LTE (GT-I9195)

STOCK i257m ROMS for ALL Canadian Carriers
Sammobile Firmware List for SGH-i257m
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ExiLeX420 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Whosat
Old
Thanks Meter 220

DONATE TO ME
Thanks for contributing to the community

The guide looks pretty much set just you might want to start your thread title with something like [SGH-I257M].

You can also mention which of the two ROMs you used and have tested with and if possible just inform readers to use that one (arco68 did mention that the GT-I9195 was the one that the SGH-I257M is identical to and not the GT-I9190) to avoid confusion.

Cheers!
Galaxy Note 3 N9005 //
Galaxy S4 Mini (LTE/GT-I9195): Rooting FAQ | CM11 | CM10.2 | Link2SD
Latest GApps
The Following User Says Thank You to Whosat For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

danyznd123
Old
Thanks Meter 108
Nice guide,very interesting...
Thank you

Current Device:Rooted Galaxy S IV mini GT-I9190 with official Android 4.2.2:
MY WORK GOR GALAXY ACE + :
(DELETED)Jelly PLUS ROM HERE
ROOT BY ME HERE
FIX BOOTLOOP HERE

[BEGINNERS]HOW TO CONTACT A MODERATOR :Click Here
Just Hit Thanks!!
The Following User Says Thank You to danyznd123 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

danyznd123
Old
Thanks Meter 108
*This is an automated message,No need to Respond
Nice guide,very interseting
Thank you

Current Device:Rooted Galaxy S IV mini GT-I9190 with official Android 4.2.2:
MY WORK GOR GALAXY ACE + :
(DELETED)Jelly PLUS ROM HERE
ROOT BY ME HERE
FIX BOOTLOOP HERE

[BEGINNERS]HOW TO CONTACT A MODERATOR :Click Here
Just Hit Thanks!!
The Following User Says Thank You to danyznd123 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ExiLeX420
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whosat View Post
Thanks for contributing to the community

The guide looks pretty much set just you might want to start your thread title with something like [SGH-I257M].

You can also mention which of the two ROMs you used and have tested with and if possible just inform readers to use that one (arco68 did mention that the GT-I9195 was the one that the SGH-I257M is identical to and not the GT-I9190) to avoid confusion.

Cheers!
You are very welcome!

Thanks for the feedback, I have fixed some errors i found as well as what you said

Hopefully it makes a bit more sense now!

Cheers!

Davis4ever
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Angry Many Thanks!!!

This is an awesome thread! Thank you SO much for the work you put into this for the many Canucks up here with Bloated i257m's.

I have been waiting for 6 months for a detailed guide for the Canadian s4m . woohoo!
Phone: Samsung Galaxy S (i9000)
ROM: SlimBean 4.2.2 (Build 7)
Kernel: Devil 4.2

Tablet: Nexus 7
ROM: SlimBean 4.2.2 - (Build 7)
Kernel: Franco r65

ExiLeX420
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10

DONATE TO ME
@Davis4ever

You are very welcome!

Im glad I was able to help out with your phone.

Feel free to share with others!

Enjoy your new phone: D

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Tapatalk
Check out my guide to rooting the CANADIAN SGH-I257M Version of the S4 Mini!

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini CANADIAN Variant ROOTED running CyanogenMod 11 Nightly
Model: SGH-I257M
Network: FIDO
Knox Flag: TRIPPED

"Donít say you donít have enough time. You have exactly the same number of hours per day that were given to Helen Keller, Bill Gates, Michelangelo, Mother Teresa, Leonardo da Vinci, Thomas Jefferson, and Albert Einstein." - Unknown

Omega2513
Old
Thanks Meter 119
Now we need someone to build an I257M rom

ExiLeX420
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10

DONATE TO ME
Unfortunately I am not qualified to do that

Check out my guide to rooting the CANADIAN SGH-I257M Version of the S4 Mini!

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini CANADIAN Variant ROOTED running CyanogenMod 11 Nightly
Model: SGH-I257M
Network: FIDO
Knox Flag: TRIPPED

"Donít say you donít have enough time. You have exactly the same number of hours per day that were given to Helen Keller, Bill Gates, Michelangelo, Mother Teresa, Leonardo da Vinci, Thomas Jefferson, and Albert Einstein." - Unknown

civicsr2cool
Old
(Last edited by civicsr2cool; 2nd April 2014 at 01:48 PM.)
Thanks Meter 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExiLeX420 View Post
Hey There!!

Just a little guide I threw together for all the new CANADIAN SGH-i257m S4 Mini owners out there who are looking to join the world of modded Androids

I found it quite difficult to track all the info down on Google over the last couple of weeks and have yet to find a CLEAR guide as to how to go about modding this specific model of phone, and unlocking its true potential so I figured I'd throw one up on here since everyone has been so helpful, so here it is!

* If anyone notices anything wrong or changes I need let me know!*

*Disclaimer*

First off I would like to say that I in NO WAY had anything to do with developing ANY of these methods that I am about to explain here, they are property of their respective owners, I am just placing them in a clear order for new users to follow so if anyone has any issues with this please let me know and i will fix it ASAP!

I also assume that you have backed up all of your contacts ETC on the phone to either the sim card or google or something. Its always safer to start from scratch and restore a backup right?

Also, PLEASE READ THE WHOLE GUIDE, and ANY linked posts. They have some good answers to a lot of peoples issues with rooting and whatnot

WARNING:

!*!*!*!THE METHODS EXPLAINED BELOW DO TRIP THE KNOX 0X1 WARRANTY FLAG!*!*!*!

If you are at all afraid of tripping the flag and voiding your warranty the please DO NOT continue as I, nor anyone else here are responsible for ANY damage or warranty issues you may run into after this. You are still able to flash a STOCK ROM back onto the phone but the 0x1 flag will always be there.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

Another thing I should mention is that although these posts/files are technically for the GT-i9195(LTE) model, I have tested this on my personal phone (SGH-i257m) and I assure you it works GREAT with no problems if you follow the instructions given.

If you DONT want CyanogenMod 11 and want to roll with the stock ROM, you can refer to THIS post. Just follow the instructions as if your phone is the GT-i9195

HERES HOW TO INSTALL CyanogenMod 11 and recovery-clockwork on your SGH-i257m:
Heres the Original Post By arco68 if your interested!

1.You need to download 4 files to your computer (linked below) and move gapps and CM 11 over to your phones internal storage
!!MAKE SURE YOU GET THE LATEST ABOVE VERSION OF CYANOGEN! IT IS THE GT-I9195 VERSION AND IS REQUIRED FOR YOUR PHONE TO WORK PROPERLY!! YOU MAY BRICK YOUR PHONE OTHERWISE

Now the fun part! After you have installed Odin and extracted recovery-clockwork-6.0.4.6-serranoltexx.tar.md5 somewhere on your pc :

2. Turn off the phone.
-Press and hold home, volume down and power. A "Download" screen should appear (a big yellow triangle, youll know when you see it)
-Connect your USB cable, and press volume up to continue.
-Start Odin, and uncheck "F. Reset Time", and then click AP button.
-Select "recovery-clockwork-6.0.4.6-serranoltexx.tar.md5" file that you previously downloaded and extracted, and press Start button (Odin might seem like it hung up when you first load the file but just let it do its thing!! It eventually let you press start). The phone will reboot when finished.
-After the phone resets (it wil vibrate) IMMEDIATELY hold volume up and home buttons to boot into recovery mode. if you miss it dont worry you can always try again.

3. Once your in recovery your going to want to wipe data/factory reset and wipe cache
4. Now choose install from sdcard and navigate to the files we put on there earlier, and install cm-11
5. When that is complete install gapps the same way you installed cm-11
6. REBOOT PHONE AND PROFIT!

Thats basically it people. After that is HIGHLY suggest going and reading the ORIGINAL posts where i got all of this info from, so you can be familiar yourselves Feel free to post any feedback or questions and ill get back to you ASAP!

Enjoy your new rooted and amazingly awesome SGH-i257m

SIDE NOTES:

1.Be sure to use the built in updater for Cyanogen! I have it set to check for updates DAILY (because its still in daily duuuuh :P ) and everything will work beautifully!

2.I DO NOT recommend restoring your apps data etc from your old rom using google backups, as it re-installs ALL the bloatware that is removed when you install CM11. Instead use an app like AppBak to give you a list of what you had so you can choose

Original Posts:

[GT-I9195][ROM][Official][4.4.2] CyanogenMod 11.0 Nightlies for S4 Mini LTE
[GT-I9190][ROM][Official][4.3.1] CyanogenMod 10.2 Nightlies for S4 Mini 3G
[RECOVERY][ROOT] Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini LTE (GT-I9195)

STOCK i257m ROMS for ALL Canadian Carriers
Sammobile Firmware List for SGH-i257m

You should help these folks that stumble upon this from google as well to show them how to unlock the phone to use in the States on ATT or Tmobile. When I unlocked mine I used the regionlockaway app after rooting using the s4 mini rootkit and was on stock rom. Was painless and smooth. Link: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2470551

Also you could inform them that all lte roms work for our phone as in 9195 roms. BUT there kernels DO NOT work.

And just another thing about roms, Cyanogenmod is a basic AOSP with very little customizbility, Liquidsmooth is the best option for AOSP on our phones, Ive always hated basic cyanogenmod builds link: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2676053 and also ive never liked clockworkmod recoveries as well lol.. we have twrp touchscreen recovery as an option on our phone: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2589011

EDIT: also if anyone is looking for stock rom firmwares to flash to odin they can be found here: http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/ by searching for i257m and picking which carrier you want.

---------- Post added at 08:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:33 AM ----------

[/COLOR]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega2513 View Post
Now we need someone to build an I257M rom

All LTE roms work on our device. look for 9195 roms, there are plenty!

Tags
canadian, rooting, s4 mini, sgh-i257m