5,814,863 Members 49,239 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Noticed something strange with battery level

Tip us?

NewSPV
Old
(Last edited by NewSPV; 13th October 2006 at 07:26 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Noticed something strange with battery level

Hi

I have noticed something strange happening with my phone. I have started charging it every night now so that it will be fully charged the next day.

When it is fully charged, I turn it off completely to save the battery, and to stop noisy email alerts. In the morning I turn the phone back on and it says 73% battery level, despite being turned off overnight, so nothing should be draining the battery.

If I leave the phone on Standby overnight the battery level is always 90%+ the next morning.

What the hell is going on? Does anyone else notice this quirk?

da_mayhem
Old
Thanks Meter 6
You can try another battery and oberve if the problem would still occur..

whizz
Old
Thanks Meter 10
It could have something to do with the difference in temperature? In the morning it's coooled off and maybe that does something with the measurement?

nvgear
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Did you put ur fone into flight mode.

Matterhorn
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewSPV View Post
Hi

I have noticed something strange happening with my phone. I have started charging it every night now so that it will be fully charged the next day.

When it is fully charged, I turn it off completely to save the battery, and to stop noisy email alerts. In the morning I turn the phone back on and it says 73% battery level, despite being turned off overnight, so nothing should be draining the battery.

If I leave the phone on Standby overnight the battery level is always 90%+ the next morning.

What the hell is going on? Does anyone else notice this quirk?
Huh, I've never heard of that before, but then I never turn mine off. When you say "turn it off" I am assuming it is when you hold down the off button for a few seconds and answer yes to "really" turn it off. I think its very strange that it uses more power off than in standby. Maybe you have come across a nasty hardware bug. Keep us posted.
_/\_ Matterhorn

Nexus 7 OTG USB adapter, 32gb micro SD
Galaxy Nexus GSM, Jawbone Era BT
Asus Transformer + Dock, 32GB SD, 32GB micro SD
Nexus One 16gb 10x microSD

NewSPV
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matterhorn View Post
Huh, I've never heard of that before, but then I never turn mine off. When you say "turn it off" I am assuming it is when you hold down the off button for a few seconds and answer yes to "really" turn it off. I think its very strange that it uses more power off than in standby. Maybe you have come across a nasty hardware bug. Keep us posted.
Yes I do mean holding down until it tells you data may be lost are you sure.

And it is still doing it. If I fully charge my phone at night and then leave it on standby the next morning the battery gauge will say something like 96%.

If I turn it off, it is always under 80% the next morning, this makes no sense. I leave the phone in standby now with the volume off, and the backlight and power set to switch off.

I keep it in a cradle now, this is a stock photo, not my phone in the cradle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cradle.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	31031  

nvgear
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Charge your battery to FULL, then take it out of the phone when going to sleep, when you WAKE up, put the battery in, if it's at 100% or 99% then it's your PHONE. If it's at 96% like you said before then it's your BATTERY.

Knocksock
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Memory card draining power

This was a ROM bug on i-mate JAMin on the first ROM versions that was available. A memory card inserted will drain power from the device. What brand do you have and do you have a memory card inserted ?