Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,985 Members 54,271 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Slower Charging Good?

Tip us?

gtmaster303
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 399

DONATE TO ME
Question Slower Charging Good?

I wanted your input on the better charging habits for our phone, considering the battery can't be easily replaced.
The general consensus is you should keep the phone between 40 and 80% all the time, right?

One thing I've been doing is using a slow charger (350 mAh) to charge my phone overnight. Although this takes much longer (probably 5-6hrs), the battery still gets charged over night but stays between 40-80% for longer. A standard charger takes about 1-2hrs to charge depending on capacity (most are 1 or 2 amp)

What do you think? Am I wasting my time, or is this a good idea?
Androids since September 2010
Cliq, 3G Slide, G2, 4G Slide, Captivate Glide, Galaxy S Relay, Droid Razr M

lem22
Old
(Last edited by lem22; 28th June 2014 at 11:58 AM.)
Thanks Meter 19
Yes, you're wasting your time with everything under 1A. It can even wear your battery more than a charger with higher current, especially if the phone isn't switched off, so you're achieving the precise opposite.

The best thing you can do is not charging to 100%, but just to 80%-90%. This could minimize the wear level of tithium batteries. But then again, I wouldn't be too worried about it.
And don't use cheap/no-name chargers, as they can kill you.