Slimport adapter (Micro usb to HDMI)

6th June 2014, 05:57 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 26

230 posts
Does anyone know where to buy a good quality Slimport adapter from? I have an official Samsung MHL 2.0 cable but unfortunately LG phones don't support MHL MHL supports 4K output and Slimport doesn't. Really don't know why they don't go with MHL especially since the g3 has a 2K screen. Slimport can not output any higher than 1080p... makes the 4K video recording capability useless on the g3. I also wonder how the phones 2k screen output will look on 1080p tvs

Sent from my GT-I9505 using XDA Free mobile app
6th June 2014, 11:59 AM   |  #2  
Account currently disabled
Flag phoenix
Thanks Meter: 1,035

2,634 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggazee

Does anyone know where to buy a good quality Slimport adapter from? I have an official Samsung MHL 2.0 cable but unfortunately LG phones don't support MHL MHL supports 4K output and Slimport doesn't. Really don't know why they don't go with MHL especially since the g3 has a 2K screen. Slimport can not output any higher than 1080p... makes the 4K video recording capability useless on the g3. I also wonder how the phones 2k screen output will look on 1080p tvs

You need a mhl 3.0 for this phone like the note 3

Sent from my SM-G900P using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2
6th June 2014, 02:35 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member

230 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epix4G

You need a mhl 3.0 for this phone like the note 3

Sent from my SM-G900P using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

This phone doesn't support MHL 3.0 like the z2. It uses Slimport which is a different technology. MHL adapters won't work with this phone.

8th June 2014, 10:08 PM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member

230 posts
Thank you for your query regarding your LG G3.

I have read through your email and I can confirm that you can output 4K from your G3 to your 4K TV using a MHL 3.0 adapter connected from the phone to your TV.

Depending on the 4K TV you have this may be automatically output to 4K or you may need to change the resolution settings to show a 4K video.

I hope my email has answered your query and assisted you today; I would really appreciate your feedback. Please help us to improve our customer service by completing the short survey after this email.

Thank you in advance.

Kind regards
Dean
LG Electronics UK Help desk

This is the email I received from LG. But clove have said the phone uses Slimport in their review and they listed it as one of the phones downside. But Engadget said it uses MHL. I'm pretty sure it's Slimport as clove review shows them using it and the Slimport official website says lg g3 support Slimport. http://us.slimportconnect.com/slimpo...orted-devices/

But it's not so bad as Slimport has been updated to support 4k.
Last edited by ziggazee; 8th June 2014 at 10:23 PM.
9th June 2014, 01:26 AM   |  #5  
Account currently disabled
Flag phoenix
Thanks Meter: 1,035

2,634 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggazee

Thank you for your query regarding your LG G3.

I have read through your email and I can confirm that you can output 4K from your G3 to your 4K TV using a MHL 3.0 adapter connected from the phone to your TV.

Depending on the 4K TV you have this may be automatically output to 4K or you may need to change the resolution settings to show a 4K video.

I hope my email has answered your query and assisted you today; I would really appreciate your feedback. Please help us to improve our customer service by completing the short survey after this email.

Thank you in advance.

Kind regards
Dean
LG Electronics UK Help desk

This is the email I received from LG. But clove have said the phone uses Slimport in their review and they listed it as one of the phones downside. But Engadget said it uses MHL. I'm pretty sure it's Slimport as clove review shows them using it and the Slimport official website says lg g3 support Slimport. http://us.slimportconnect.com/slimpo...orted-devices/

But it's not so bad as Slimport has been updated to support 4k.

I have seen both mhl and slimport... I think it's slimport also but don't know ...A couple of the reviews stated multiple TV out .... But I know the g pro g2 flex use slimport

Sent from my SM-N900P using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2
10th June 2014, 11:38 PM   |  #6  
Flag santa clara, CA
Thanks Meter: 4

2 posts
More
SlimPort info
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epix4G

I have seen both mhl and slimport... I think it's slimport also but don't know ...A couple of the reviews stated multiple TV out .... But I know the g pro g2 flex use slimport

Sent from my SM-N900P using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

As a SlimPort spokesperson (and a new xda member), I can help to clarify the video output features for the G3. LG switched from MHL to SlimPort with the launch of the Nexus 4 in November 2012. All subsequent LG mobile devices are SlimPort-enabled. The G3 can shoot 4K videos. However, LG chose to not support the 4K output direct to the TV. The G3 will output full bandwidth 1080p video via the SlimPort/HDMI dongle. When connected to a 4K TV, the TV will detect the 1080p signal and properly scale it to 4K. To view the 4K content, the video must be transferred via USB to a media player that supports 4K. FYI there are no devices that support both MHL and SlimPort.

Current certified SlimPort dongles on the market work with any SlimPort enabled phones. As mentioned, you can check with the SlimPort web site to get a current list of devices that support the format and of locations to order dongles. Last February, the SlimPort 4K receiver chip (used in the dongles), ANX7738, was introduced and you should see 4K dongle products on the market later this year.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zumashark For This Useful Post: [ View ]
12th June 2014, 06:05 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 22

45 posts
So it is confirmed the g3 won't work on the MHL 3.0 despite the LG staff confirmed that in the email?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
24th June 2014, 03:24 AM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 33

53 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by claud0902

So it is confirmed the g3 won't work on the MHL 3.0 despite the LG staff confirmed that in the email?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Does seem odd that they said it supports 4k mhl, when the newer lg flagship phones claim to have ditched mhl in favor of slimport, maybe they know something we dont know, but i reckon it was a misunderstanding only. If it does support Mhl 3.0, this implies that the lg flagship series phones support usb 3.0, which we all know it doesnt simply because it does not have the 11 pin micro usb mhl connector, like samsung.

But interestingly enough, I do know that lg is considering usb 3.0 for g2 g3 and flex, simply because they actually HAVE added a NEW proprietary 11pin micro usb 3.0 port on all of these phones (take a look, you will see 3 extra pins on each side of the standard microusb tongue, deeper inside the connector, these are usb 3.0 lines!). Although this new connector is not compatible with mhl 3.0 connector, which implies it will likely support a different video out protocol like slimport 4k or 3.0 if you will.

Slimport 4k requires a higher bandwidth interface like usb 3.0, and since recent lg schematic drawings prove that they have wired up the new connector to handle usb 3.0, then once someone makes the 4k adapter and a mating 11 pin connector, we will then hopefully see all these phones capable of supporting 4k soon, in addition to usb 3.0 fast charging, and maybe even support usb 3.0 OTG interface!
The Following User Says Thank You to 1branchonthevine For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th June 2014, 03:45 AM   |  #9  
OP Senior Member

230 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1branchonthevine

Does seem odd that they said it supports 4k mhl, when the newer lg flagship phones claim to have ditched mhl in favor of slimport, maybe they know something we dont know, but i reckon it was a misunderstanding only. If it does support Mhl 3.0, this implies that the lg flagship series phones support usb 3.0, which we all know it doesnt simply because it does not have the 11 pin micro usb mhl connector, like samsung.

But interestingly enough, I do know that lg is considering usb 3.0 for g2 g3 and flex, simply because they actually HAVE added a NEW proprietary 11pin micro usb 3.0 port on all of these phones (take a look, you will see 3 extra pins on each side of the standard microusb tongue, deeper inside the connector, these are usb 3.0 lines!). Although this new connector is not compatible with mhl 3.0 connector, which implies it will likely support a different video out protocol like slimport 4k or 3.0 if you will.

Slimport 4k requires a higher bandwidth interface like usb 3.0, and since recent lg schematic drawings prove that they have wired up the new connector to handle usb 3.0, then once someone makes the 4k adapter and a mating 11 pin connector, we will then hopefully see all these phones capable of supporting 4k soon, in addition to usb 3.0 fast charging, and maybe even support usb 3.0 OTG interface!

I had initially asked them if to confirm whether it uses MHL or Slimport and then got the email stating it supports MHL. I then replied requesting clarification as the official Slimport website has listed the lg g3 as a supported device and have not received a reply. Also the Xperia z2 has mhl 3.0 but as far as I'm aware it uses usb 2.0?

24th June 2014, 03:47 AM   |  #10  
OP Senior Member

230 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zumashark

As a SlimPort spokesperson (and a new xda member), I can help to clarify the video output features for the G3. LG switched from MHL to SlimPort with the launch of the Nexus 4 in November 2012. All subsequent LG mobile devices are SlimPort-enabled. The G3 can shoot 4K videos. However, LG chose to not support the 4K output direct to the TV. The G3 will output full bandwidth 1080p video via the SlimPort/HDMI dongle. When connected to a 4K TV, the TV will detect the 1080p signal and properly scale it to 4K. To view the 4K content, the video must be transferred via USB to a media player that supports 4K. FYI there are no devices that support both MHL and SlimPort.

Current certified SlimPort dongles on the market work with any SlimPort enabled phones. As mentioned, you can check with the SlimPort web site to get a current list of devices that support the format and of locations to order dongles. Last February, the SlimPort 4K receiver chip (used in the dongles), ANX7738, was introduced and you should see 4K dongle products on the market later this year.

Thank you for clarifying that. As you have stated that slimport 4k adapters will be released some time this year, can you confirm if the g3 will support these and be able to output in 4k rather than upscale?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread

Top Threads in G3 Accessories by ThreadRank