Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,305 Members 42,297 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Root Question

Tip us?

2001400ex
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Root Question

I had my phone rooted with towel root and the only thing I did was fix the hot spot provisioning so I can use Foxfi. I did a factory reset last night, and the weird thing is, I still have root and Foxfi still works. I figured that when I did the factory reset, I would have to reroot and fix the hot spot again.

I guess, I am wondering why that happened? It's good actually, saved me a half hour of work. But was that because I used the factory reset in the settings rather than through a reboot?

Please educate me. LOL

Magic2010
Old
Thanks Meter 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001400ex View Post
I had my phone rooted with towel root and the only thing I did was fix the hot spot provisioning so I can use Foxfi. I did a factory reset last night, and the weird thing is, I still have root and Foxfi still works. I figured that when I did the factory reset, I would have to reroot and fix the hot spot again.

I guess, I am wondering why that happened? It's good actually, saved me a half hour of work. But was that because I used the factory reset in the settings rather than through a reboot?

Please educate me. LOL
After you root, the phone stays rooted, simples as that.
To unroot you have to flash stock rom I guess, till then, the phone will continue rooted.
If you want to send to warranty, you have to unroot and go stock.
LG G2 [D802]
ROM: Cloudy G3
REC: TWRP 2.7.0.0
KERNEL: Stock

Don't write thanks.... Hit THANKS button instead!!

2001400ex
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic2010 View Post
After you root, the phone stays rooted, simples as that.
To unroot you have to flash stock rom I guess, till then, the phone will continue rooted.
If you want to send to warranty, you have to unroot and go stock.
Yeah I guess. Lol I haven't rooted a phone since the OG droid. I thought that one you had to re root, but it's been a few years.

simon_lefisch
Old
Thanks Meter 322
Quote:

Please educate me. LOL
I dont believe a factory reset will unroot the phone. It will remove the superuser app, but the exploit will still be there. To completely unroot, you need to flash you variants tot/kdz file using the LG flash tool. That will delete and replace all files in every partition and show that your phone is unrooted. It will be exactly as it was when you opened the box.

2001400ex
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon_lefisch View Post
I dont believe a factory reset will unroot the phone. It will remove the superuser app, but the exploit will still be there. To completely unroot, you need to flash you variants tot/kdz file using the LG flash tool. That will delete and replace all files in every partition and show that your phone is unrooted. It will be exactly as it was when you opened the box.
Yeah I don't have SU right now, just need root for foxfi. And I've read about the process to return to stock, I thought that was necessary for the other root methods.

simon_lefisch
Old
Thanks Meter 322
Quote:
Yeah I don't have SU right now, just need root for foxfi. And I've read about the process to return to stock, I thought that was necessary for the other root methods.
you should be able to download supersu from the play store and root for apps should be restored without having to return to stock.