Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,949 Members 43,571 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[APP][KitKat/Android L] GMD Full Screen Immersive Mode - NO root

Tip us?

StupidIdea
Old
(Last edited by StupidIdea; 23rd August 2014 at 01:11 AM.)
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 1,302

DONATE TO ME
Default [APP][KitKat/Android L] GMD Full Screen Immersive Mode - NO root

Immersive full screen mode for KitKat and Android L. Root NOT required.

Play Store:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gmd.immersive

Features:
- Hide or show navigation bar with simple swipe
- Hide or keep status bar
- Stock navigation bar
- Notification widget allows to easily change mode anywhere
- Per application settings
- Autohide navigation bar

Known issues:
- Keyboard does not work while in full screen - please restore navigation bar to use keyboard. [Probably won't be fixed]
- 3rd party apps cannot trigger Back while navigation bar is hidden. [Probably won't be fixed]

Please let me know if you like the app and if you have any suggestions
Attached Files
File Type: apk Immersive_1.0-beta2.apk - [Click for QR Code] (1.34 MB, 587 views)
File Type: apk Immersive_1.1-beta.apk - [Click for QR Code] (1.34 MB, 180 views)
File Type: apk Immersive_1.1.1-beta.apk - [Click for QR Code] (1.34 MB, 1167 views)
File Type: apk Immersive_1.1.2-beta.apk - [Click for QR Code] (1.34 MB, 1266 views)
File Type: apk Immersive_1.1.4.apk - [Click for QR Code] (1.21 MB, 1128 views)
Developer of: GMD Full Screen Immersive Mode (no root)
Developer of: GMD GestureControl - multitouch iPad like gestures for Android (XDA thread)
Developer of: GMD SPen Control - create custom S Pen gestures for your Note. Supports all custom ROM's.
Developer of: S Pen Toolbox - Screen Off on S Pen attach and more.
Developer of: GMD Auto Hide Soft Keys - no system modifications, no reboot. Keeps notification bar.
Follow me on Google+
JOIN GMD apps beta testing community on G+
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to StupidIdea For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

StupidIdea
Old
Thanks Meter 1,302

DONATE TO ME
Reserved...
Developer of: GMD GestureControl - multitouch iPad like gestures for Android (XDA thread)
Developer of: GMD SPen Control - create custom S Pen gestures for your Note. Supports all custom ROM's.
Developer of: GMD Auto Hide Soft Keys - no system modifications, no reboot. Keeps notification bar.
Follow me on Google+
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to StupidIdea For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

StupidIdea
Old
Thanks Meter 1,302

DONATE TO ME
Reserved 2...
Follow me on Google+
The Following User Says Thank You to StupidIdea For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Jimmy34742
Old
(Last edited by Jimmy34742; 29th June 2014 at 04:21 AM.)
Thanks Meter 224
Some quick feedback:

1) I swipe the trigger to exit full screen, no problem. But the trigger doesn't let me enter full screen mode. It would be useful to have the trigger toggle between the last full screen mode and normal mode. I did program a Gesture Control gesture to toggle Immersive, so maybe that's a good enough workaround.

2) I'm able to use the keyboard if it was already open before I entered full screen mode. I can't dismiss the keyboard due to the back button limitation, but the keyboard does work. Also, DocsToGo's context menu has a "Toggle Keyboard" item, so I'm able to open and close and use the keyboard in that app. But I'm unable to change the cursor position in a document while in full screen mode.

3) Not being able to use the back button or execute a "back" gesture in Gesture Control when in immersive mode is really annoying. You also can't use the menu button. But I think enabling the "back" function is the #1 feature I'd like to have.

4) I can't open the notifications when in immersive mode. If I execute my Gesture Control gesture to open notifications, nothing happens, and when I exit immersive mode, the notifications are already opened. Force Immersive Mode has the same limitation, and the dev hasn't been able to solve it.
Galaxy S 4 I9500 (CM 11.0 ROM (Android 4.4.4), PhilZ Touch CWM 6.0.4.7)
Galaxy Note 2 N7100 (CM 11.0 ROM (Android 4.4.4), PhilZ CWM Touch 6.0.4.5)

past: Galaxy 7.7, Galaxy Note 1, Galaxy S 3, Galaxy S 2, iPhone 3GS, Motorola Milestone

StupidIdea
Old
(Last edited by StupidIdea; 29th June 2014 at 12:24 PM.)
Thanks Meter 1,302

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy34742 View Post
Some quick feedback:

1) I swipe the trigger to exit full screen, no problem. But the trigger doesn't let me enter full screen mode. It would be useful to have the trigger toggle between the last full screen mode and normal mode. I did program a Gesture Control gesture to toggle Immersive, so maybe that's a good enough workaround.

2) I'm able to use the keyboard if it was already open before I entered full screen mode. I can't dismiss the keyboard due to the back button limitation, but the keyboard does work. Also, DocsToGo's context menu has a "Toggle Keyboard" item, so I'm able to open and close and use the keyboard in that app. But I'm unable to change the cursor position in a document while in full screen mode.

3) Not being able to use the back button or execute a "back" gesture in Gesture Control when in immersive mode is really annoying. You also can't use the menu button. But I think enabling the "back" function is the #1 feature I'd like to have.

4) I can't open the notifications when in immersive mode. If I execute my Gesture Control gesture to open notifications, nothing happens, and when I exit immersive mode, the notifications are already opened. Force Immersive Mode has the same limitation, and the dev hasn't been able to solve it.
You have to swipe trigger downwards. You cannot touch above trigger. You have to touch exactly on trigger (or some 1 mm above) red line. Just do light touch an swipe. You can increase trigger sensitivity in settings to you comfort level. It actually works quite well when you get used to where to touch. There is also TOUCH mode (instead of SWIPE) available in settings.
Trigger allows you to toggle last fullscreen mode on/off. Thats the idea.

2,3,4 - cant fix in app but I will look if I can find some workaround with root in Gesture Control.
Follow me on Google+

Jimmy34742
Old
Thanks Meter 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by StupidIdea View Post
You have to swipe trigger downwards. You cannot touch above trigger. You have to touch exactly on trigger (or some 1 mm above) red line. Just do light touch an swipe. You can increase trigger sensitivity in settings to you comfort level. It actually works quite well when you get used to where to touch. There is also TOUCH mode (instead of SWIPE) available in settings.
Trigger allows you to toggle last fullscreen mode on/off. Thats the idea.
TOUCH mode works great toggling in either direction, even with sensitivity reduced to 3. It has nice feel, and you've done a great job providing just the right customizations for the trigger location and appearance.

For SWIPE mode, I swipe up to exit immersive, no problem. But when I swipe down to enter immersive, it never works no matter what setting I try. I think I do like TOUCH better, and now that TOUCH works, I don't need the GC gesture. But I'm just letting you know that SWIPE isn't working properly on my S4.

By the way, the home button also doesn't work in immersive mode. But I have "home" programmed to a GC gesture, and it works. So I'm hoping the "back" function can be made to work with a GC gesture.

past: Galaxy 7.7, Galaxy Note 1, Galaxy S 3, Galaxy S 2, iPhone 3GS, Motorola Milestone

StupidIdea
Old
Thanks Meter 1,302

DONATE TO ME
Published to Play Store:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....gmd.immersive

Features:
- Hide or show navigation bar with simple swipe
- Hide or keep status bar
- Stock navigation bar
- Notification widget allows to easily change mode anywhere
- Per application settings
- Autohide navigation bar
Follow me on Google+
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to StupidIdea For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Jimmy34742
Old
Thanks Meter 224
I've installed Pro, rebooted, and am testing with XPrivacy turned off.

1) As with the experimental version, you can't use the BACK button or a GC BACK gesture while immersed. We really need a workaround for the BACK function to make this app useful.

2) It FC's every time I tried to change Auto Hide Delay, Trigger Width, Trigger Position, or Trigger Sensitivity. These didn't have a problem in the first experimental version. Then, when I unchecked "Show in Fullscreen (PRO)," it allowed me to change those settings. I'm actually not sure what "Show in Fullscreen" does, so I rechecked it after adjusting the other settings.

3) If I switch to an un-immersed app, then when I leave that app I'm still not immersed and the trigger bar does not appear and I have to re-immerse via the notifications. Sometimes, though, this problem doesn't happen and it un-immerses/re-immerses correctly.

4) I'm able to use the keyboard while immersed by opening the keyboard before immersing. But then you have to un-immerse to dismiss the keyboard due to not having a BACK function.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy34742 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

StupidIdea
Old
Thanks Meter 1,302

DONATE TO ME
Thank you so much for trying it.

Quote:

1) As with the experimental version, you can't use the BACK button or a GC BACK gesture while immersed. We really need a workaround for the BACK function to make this app useful.
I'm looking how to work around it next. I understand you are just testing it as you have exposed and you can use Force IM module . I also plan to add xp module into GC and AHSK to toggle full screen properly with root.

Quote:
2) It FC's every time I tried to change Auto Hide Delay, Trigger Width, Trigger Position, or Trigger Sensitivity. These didn't have a problem in the first experimental version. Then, when I unchecked "Show in Fullscreen (PRO)," it allowed me to change those settings. I'm actually not sure what "Show in Fullscreen" does, so I rechecked it after adjusting the other settings.
That happens when you code at 4a.m . Fixed and uploaded new version. Should appear in a couple of hours.

Quote:
3) If I switch to an un-immersed app, then when I leave that app I'm still not immersed and the trigger bar does not appear and I have to re-immerse via the notifications. Sometimes, though, this problem doesn't happen and it un-immerses/re-immerses correctly.
The idea was that apps that do not have saved setting do not change it automatically so if you left unimmersed app then this is not changed unless you have saved setting for the next app.
Unimermsed mode basically turns everything off and removes trigger so yes you have to use notification again. If you want to have trigger then you should show navigation bar with trigger instead. You can turn off Autohide but it is global. Do you think it is needed to have per app option to turn on/off autohide for app?

Quote:
4) I'm able to use the keyboard while immersed by opening the keyboard before immersing. But then you have to un-immerse to dismiss the keyboard due to not having a BACK function.
You can call keyboard when navigation bar is visible (even if you triggered it with trigger). Once visible it will work even if navbar hides. Just swipe the trigger then click input box.
Follow me on Google+
The Following User Says Thank You to StupidIdea For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Jimmy34742
Old
Thanks Meter 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by StupidIdea View Post
The idea was that apps that do not have saved setting do not change it automatically so if you left unimmersed app then this is not changed unless you have saved setting for the next app.
Unimermsed mode basically turns everything off and removes trigger so yes you have to use notification again. If you want to have trigger then you should show navigation bar with trigger instead. You can turn off Autohide but it is global. Do you think it is needed to have per app option to turn on/off autohide for app?
I'm actually not sure what you mean by, " If you want to have trigger then you should show navigation bar with trigger instead." I made a setting for each app individually instead of just leaving them blank, and that gives the behavior I expect. But per app is a pro feature, so not everyone will be able to do this.