Smile [GUIDE] Installing a Custom Recovery and Rooting the Developer Edition Galaxy S5

OP timeToy

10th May 2014, 12:39 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 191

265 posts
Installing a Custom Recovery and Rooting the Verizon Developer Edition Galaxy S5

This only applies to the Verizon Developer Edition Galaxy S5, NOT the regular Retail Verizon Galaxy S5.
Given that is a Developer Edition device I would assume a basic understanding of Android, adb and other tools needed.

Let’s install a custom recovery (in our case TRWP), then install Root (in our case SuperSU), then make sure we do a backup of the whole device, just in case.
  1. Install Samsung USB drivers. (They are on the “CD-ROM” that mounts when you plug in the phone in the computer, or can be found here).
  2. Turn off "Reactivation Lock" in Settings > General > Security
  3. Download Odin 3.07 here.
  4. Download the .tar version of TWRP from here.
  5. Download the .zip file for the SuperSU install from here and copy it somewhere on your phone.
  6. Select Odin, click the right button and select “Run as Administrator” (Just to be on the safe side).
  7. Power Off the Phone and reboot in Download Mode (hold the menu button and volume down buttons then press the power button until the device reboots).
  8. Make sure the phone is detected, then click the PDA button, select the .tar file downloaded on Step 4. Make sure that only “Auto reboot” and “F. Reset Time” are selected. Click the “Start” button. The Phone should reboot once finished.
  9. Power Off the Phone and reboot in Recovery Mode (hold the menu button and volume up buttons then press the power button until the device reboots).
  10. Install the SuperSU .zip file from step 5.
  11. Now it is also a good time to make full backup of the phone from TWRP. Reboot when done.
  12. ?
  13. Profit

Once Rooted you can use Xposed installer, AdAway, Root explorer and Titanium Backup to clean up personalize your phone (See next post).
Last edited by timeToy; 15th May 2014 at 05:28 PM.
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to timeToy For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th May 2014, 12:41 AM   |  #2  
OP Senior Member

265 posts
Customization with Xposed installer, AdAway, Root explorer and Titanium Backup.

• Data Icons from the Xposed module "Samsung Data Connection Icon Fix"
  • Color Changes and Reboot menu from "Wanam Xposed".
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by clemson91

I got the Native hotspot working great using the Xposed Framework, then download X Tether in the Xposed app, and works perfectly. You can also add the hotspot toggle to the quick settings

• If you are a Beautiful Widgets user, I have made a Galaxy S5 Lockscreen clock (Look for "Galaxy S5 Lockscreen" by timetoy; You'll have to set the background to Transparent; There is a bug with the dots, this is as big as they get)

• Here are some Recovery-installable recoveries (oh so meta...)
    Philz touch 6.41.6
    TWRP 2.7.0.0
    TWRP 2.7.1.0

• Know issues:
    Here how to get S Health and Xposed to work together: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...8&postcount=26
Attached Files
File Type: zip philz_touch_6.41.6-klte.zip - [Click for QR Code] (9.22 MB, 210 views)
File Type: zip TRWP_2.7.0.0-klte.zip - [Click for QR Code] (10.94 MB, 30 views)
File Type: zip TRWP_2.7.1.0-gt-klte.zip - [Click for QR Code] (10.95 MB, 104 views)
Last edited by timeToy; 6th June 2014 at 07:10 PM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to timeToy For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th May 2014, 01:23 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 33

198 posts
1st one to thank!
10th May 2014, 04:46 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 82

214 posts
Thanks I was hoping for a guide just like this. My DevS5 comes in Monday, I guess by next day delivery they mean the next 5th day delivery, but I'm going to test out some mods for other carriers S5's, and hopefully we can get a nice list of working mods going.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to clemson91 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th May 2014, 02:49 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 59

398 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by clemson91

Thanks I was hoping for a guide just like this. My DevS5 comes in Monday, I guess by next day delivery they mean the next 5th day delivery, but I'm going to test out some mods for other carriers S5's, and hopefully we can get a nice list of working mods going.

No one under the verizon Samsung galaxy s5 subforum has a Verizon Samsung galaxy s5 developer edition phone..........

Why are the admins allowing this to continue?
13th May 2014, 04:03 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 587

824 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewebsiteisdown

No one under the verizon Samsung galaxy s5 subforum has a Verizon Samsung galaxy s5 developer edition phone..........

Why are the admins allowing this to continue?

Because you are wrong. The Verizon s5 and verizon dev s5 are the same forum. You'd know that if you read the other threads.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ks3rv3rg For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th May 2014, 04:19 AM   |  #7  
Flag Texoma
Thanks Meter: 312

455 posts
Donate to Me
More
Has anyone tested this?

13th May 2014, 04:59 AM   |  #8  
Flag Ukiah
Thanks Meter: 42

108 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by timeToy

Installing a Custom Recovery and Rooting the Verizon Developer Edition Galaxy S5

This only applies to the Verizon Developer Edition Galaxy S5, NOT the regular Retail Verizon Galaxy S5.
Given that is a Developer Edition device I would assume a basic understanding of Android, adb and other tools needed.

Let’s install a custom recovery (in our case TRWP), then install Root (in our case SuperSU), then make sure we do a backup of the whole device, just in case.
  1. Install Samsung USB drivers. (They are on the “CD-ROM” that mounts when you plug in the phone in the computer, or can be found here).
  2. Download Odin 3.07 here.
  3. Download the .tar version of TWRP from here.
  4. Download the .zip file for the SuperSU install from here and copy it somewhere on your phone.
  5. Select Odin, click the right button and select “Run as Administrator” (Just to be on the safe side).
  6. Power Off the Phone and reboot in Download Mode (hold the menu button and volume down buttons then press the power button until the device reboots).
  7. Make sure the phone is detected, then click the PDA button, select the .tar file downloaded on Step 3. Make sure that only “Auto reboot” and “F. Reset Time” are selected. Click the “Start” button. The Phone should reboot once finished.
  8. Power Off the Phone and reboot in Recovery Mode (hold the menu button and volume up buttons then press the power button until the device reboots).
  9. Install the SuperSU .zip file from step 4.
  10. Now it is also a good time to make full backup of the phone from TWRP. Reboot when done.
  11. ?
  12. Profit

Once Rooted you can use Xposed installer, AdAway, Root explorer and Titanium Backup to clean up personalize your phone (See next post).

Nice straight forward guide. Oden 3.09 Worked well too. It has AP instead of the PDA field.

Thanks,
13th May 2014, 05:36 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 82

214 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile1

Has anyone tested this?

Yes it works perfectly, and takes no time at all. Also this is my first experience with Xposed, and it's incredible how many options you have and how it well it works universally on many devices.
14th May 2014, 10:00 PM   |  #10  
OP Senior Member

265 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile1

Has anyone tested this?

Everything I post, I personally have testing it.

The Following User Says Thank You to timeToy For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread