S5 rooted, now what?

Tip us?

mkitchin
Old
(Last edited by mkitchin; 18th June 2014 at 05:57 PM.) Reason: More info
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 27
Default S5 rooted, now what?

I have never run a stock OS rooted. Always AOKP or CM. What should we do now?
-How to we protect it to make sure VZW doesn't somehow patch it?
-Tethering without Foxfi now possible. See below.
-SuperSu info - see below.
-What will we need to do about updates?
-What else?

Read below. I'm adding helpful info as it is collected.

GeoHot (and others), you are the man (men). Thanks guys. All bounty pledgers, pay up!

If you need to root your S5, go here. Donate as well! http://towelroot.com/

** No, Root does not allow us to unlock the bootloader. They are entirely different. I personally have not heard of anyone working on that. Most knowledgeable people I have heard say it would require a leak of the keys from Verizon. **

***Below are apps and/or tweaks (not obvious ones) known to work by me or someone else that has tested***
-Xposed Framework
----X Tether (Free tethering)!
----Wanam Xposed - Free tethering option does NOT work for me. Others report it does.
-Super SU 2.0 in Play store now works. Link below no longer needed.
----use this version http://download.chainfire.eu/447/Sup...SU-v1.99r4.zip
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mkitchin For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kilroy1stcav
Old
Thanks Meter 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkitchin View Post
-I assume we can enable native tethering without FoxFi?
-I know there is some chatter about SuperSu. It fails to update. Need a new version from Chainfire?
-What else?

GeoHot (and others), you are the man (men). Thanks guys. All bounty pledgers, pay up!
Did you install SU before or after rooting? Or had that problem, stupid me in the antisapation of having root I installed SU last night and after rooting just now could not for the life of me get it to update SU, after multiple reboots I finally uninstalled it after clearing the cache and app settings in app manager, rebooted then reinstalled, then ran root checker, it failed then it asked for root, granted, rechecked, and it passed!
Samsung S5 ROOTED, thank you @geohot.

Motorola Xoom Stingray, unlocked
Motorola RAZR MAXX HD, UNLOCKED bootloader

GlitchMob
Old
Thanks Meter 25
Quote:
-I know there is some chatter about SuperSu. It fails to update. Need a new version from Chainfire?
-What else?

logically, you should avoid any vzw updates. SU may fail, but it still works. try running a rooted app. it will ask you to grant permission. I just removed over 12 apps that vzw forced on my phone.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Backwardsblade
Old
Thanks Meter 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlitchMob View Post
logically, you should avoid any vzw updates. SU may fail, but it still works. try running a rooted app. it will ask you to grant permission. I just removed over 12 apps that vzw forced on my phone.

can you share what was safe to remove so far without messing up any framework dependencies?

elliwigy
Old
Thanks Meter 917
chainfire needs to update app before well b able to update it.. it still has root and works so be patient.. we cant keep vzw/samsung from patching it on future devices but it will take them a bit of time so id imagine later updates and newer phones yet to come out would be patched.. now we enjoy root until someone down the road (hopefully) gets us custom recovery for custom roms but lets not jump the gun here, we just got root so let the devs enjoy that feat lol

Sent from my SM-G900V using XDA Premium HD app

Misterxtc
Old
(Last edited by Misterxtc; 16th June 2014 at 04:41 AM.)
Thanks Meter 936
Default Disable OTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliwigy View Post
chainfire needs to update app before well b able to update it.. it still has root and works so be patient.. we cant keep vzw/samsung from patching it on future devices but it will take them a bit of time so id imagine later updates and newer phones yet to come out would be patched.. now we enjoy root until someone down the road (hopefully) gets us custom recovery for custom roms but lets not jump the gun here, we just got root so let the devs enjoy that feat lol

Rename SDM.apk and SDM.odex. to .bak files and VZW can't use the OTA updater anymore. The software updater in settings will be gone too. You will need a file explorer like fx and the root add on for this, it's free.

EDIT: SDM.apk is in the system/app driectory.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Misterxtc For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

s44
Old
Thanks Meter 189
Safestrap is next: you'll be able to run custom ROMs but not custom kernels, so TW builds but not AOSP (unless the S5 GPE is built on a TW kernel, as the original 4.2.2 S4 GPE ROM was). I wouldn't actually delete any APKs from your device; just freeze them with Titanium.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to s44 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

GlitchMob
Old
Thanks Meter 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwardsblade View Post
can you share what was safe to remove so far without messing up any framework dependencies?

Sure, but I cannot guarantee you won't have any issues. I managed to remove a decent amount of bloat apps and rebooted successfully. I will list them below.

- Google +
- Google Books
- Google Play Music
- Audible
- VZW protection
- Messaging +
- Amazon
- Kindle
- Amazon Appstore
- IMDB
- VZW ringtones
- VZW protection and support
- Isis Wallet

and a few more that I cannot remember. I hope this helps.

---------- Post added at 07:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:28 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by s44 View Post
Safestrap is next: you'll be able to run custom ROMs but not custom kernels, so TW builds but not AOSP (unless the S5 GPE is built on a TW kernel, as the original 4.2.2 S4 GPE ROM was). I wouldn't actually delete any APKs from your device; just freeze them with Titanium.
Wouldn't the bootloader need to be unlocked first?
The Following User Says Thank You to GlitchMob For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

elliwigy
Old
Thanks Meter 917
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlitchMob View Post
Sure, but I cannot guarantee you won't have any issues. I managed to remove a decent amount of bloat apps and rebooted successfully. I will list them below.

- Google +
- Google Books
- Google Play Music
- Audible
- VZW protection
- Messaging +
- Amazon
- Kindle
- Amazon Appstore
- IMDB
- VZW ringtones
- VZW protection and support
- Isis Wallet

and a few more that I cannot remember. I hope this helps.

---------- Post added at 07:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:28 PM ----------

Wouldn't the bootloader need to be unlocked first?
no.. safestrap doesnt change or effect bootloader which is why youd only be able to install roms compatible with the locked bootloader

The Following User Says Thank You to elliwigy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kilroy1stcav
Old
Thanks Meter 19
Quote:

He already updated SU HERE: http://download.chainfire.eu/447/Sup...SU-v1.99r4.zip

---------- Post added at 12:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:30 PM ----------

Quote:

Quote:
-What else?

SU updated here: http://download.chainfire.eu/447/Sup...SU-v1.99r4.zip
Samsung S5 ROOTED, thank you @geohot.

Motorola Xoom Stingray, unlocked
Motorola RAZR MAXX HD, UNLOCKED bootloader

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kilroy1stcav For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Tags
root verizon galaxy s5