Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,728,302 Members 51,287 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

kitkat update is just a junk... don't update.

Tip us?

amitsharma.atc
Old
(Last edited by amitsharma.atc; 29th June 2014 at 07:22 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Default kitkat update is just a junk... don't update.

Hello friends

Many note 10.1 owners were waiting for kitkat update
Now its available...
But its a total junk
I would recommend pls don't update it
Its trim down many of its essential features for nothing

1. Lock screen is ugly now there is no option to reduce size of giant missed notifications,
app shortcuts is on right side only not in canter like before,
only right hand can be use to swipe unlock, swiping on left side can't unlock

2. S pen detach menu options has been gone... now there is no options when you pull out s pen... its a total shame Samsung

3. OS UI is just like phone not like tablet... there are only 3 soft buttons on bottom now just like nexus phone and upper part is just like mobile notification bar and also very tiny its very hard to use it like a tablet...

4. Air view in gallery is very tiny... don't know what the f**k they hv done to it...
Same problem also with video air preview and massages n emails app ... very tiny..

5. Almost All apps are same **** like before no update at all
only very few apps like calculator dealing app etc. are slightly changed

But worth update in my opinion....... NOOOOOOOOOOOO

And if you just want kitkat which is another junk from Google

I think jelly bean was also very stable n yes its work on tablet UI...

but now I hv 10.1 screen n hv to tap here n there just to operate this....

Thanks
Sorry for my bad English
N someone pls tell me how to revert back to jellybean official Indian firmware
Thanks

One more new problem I found today: keyboard has lost its gesture control to change keyboard's layouts
you hv to set it up manually...

update : no more floting windows option in multi windows just 2 fixed windows..... helllllllll
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to amitsharma.atc For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

AndriiG
Old
Thanks Meter 2
I agree with you that Samsung's implementation of 4.4 and Android in general sucks. But that is where agreement stops. Original Google 4.4 and actually 4.3 as well as 4.2 are very usable and nice looking operational system. And pretty functional too. I feel sorry for all of this millions of Samsung's that stuck with what ever company put on their tablets and phones that are very nicely designed hardware but software Samsung is using not a much for hardware. If you are brave root your device and install one of the non- official close to real Google KitKat firmware and you will be shocked how much better it is. Just mine 2cc. Note 10.1 Original 2012 with OmniROM.

Sent from my GT-N8000 using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AndriiG For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

link6155
Old
Thanks Meter 34
1. I would disagree with you, I think it's an improvement over the old lockscreen: https://hostr.co/file/bRNkmTritpRP/1401072520160.png

2. You can use GMD S Pen to get back the menu that shows up when you pull out the s pen. For me, I found it pointless because it wasn't very customizable nor convenient for me.

3. That's Android's fault, buttons are center now, even on stock AOSP rom.

4. I agree with you that the air view is not that great, but for me this isn't a deal breaker.

5. Not necessarily a bad thing, people have already ported many apps from the Note 10.1 (2014) and other newer devices onto our note.

Google isn't to blame for the issues you have, Samsung is. KitKat actually has many great improvements on our Note 10.1 (being able to move apps to SD Card, more apps are compatible, and overall better performance.

If you insist on going back, you need to flash the old rom via Mobile Odin, but you won't be able to flash the bootloader because of KNOX.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to link6155 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kable
Old
Thanks Meter 60
Works Great for me.....
Sony Xperia Z Ultra C6806 Android 4.4.3 GPe
Sony Smartwatch 2
Samsung Galaxy Gear w/ Tizen
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 N8013 4.2.2

jebll
Old
Thanks Meter 4
I'm just waiting to see he they make an update that posts out the mess or if one of the many custom roms comes up to the mark soon ie. With all the features working and the original interface.

Sent from my GT-N8000 using xda app-developers app

jdgreat4
Old
Thanks Meter 18
>Use Gnabo stock rom v3
>Profit
In my own personal experience I've seen that the performance improvement is leaps and bounds over the 4.1.2 any day and that's all I really care about.

Sent from my HTC One using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jdgreat4 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

filchi756
Old
Thanks Meter 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdgreat4 View Post
>Use Gnabo stock rom v3
>Profit
In my own personal experience I've seen that the performance improvement is leaps and bounds over the 4.1.2 any day and that's all I really care about.

Sent from my HTC One using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
100% agreed!

---------- Post added at 02:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:54 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by link6155 View Post
1. I would disagree with you, I think it's an improvement over the old lockscreen: https://hostr.co/file/bRNkmTritpRP/1401072520160.png

2. You can use GMD S Pen to get back the menu that shows up when you pull out the s pen. For me, I found it pointless because it wasn't very customizable nor convenient for me.

3. That's Android's fault, buttons are center now, even on stock AOSP rom.

4. I agree with you that the air view is not that great, but for me this isn't a deal breaker.

5. Not necessarily a bad thing, people have already ported many apps from the Note 10.1 (2014) and other newer devices onto our note.

Google isn't to blame for the issues you have, Samsung is. KitKat actually has many great improvements on our Note 10.1 (being able to move apps to SD Card, more apps are compatible, and overall better performance.

If you insist on going back, you need to flash the old rom via Mobile Odin, but you won't be able to flash the bootloader because of KNOX.
If I'ved helped you, please press thanks.

krid.of-k
Old
(Last edited by krid.of-k; 21st June 2014 at 10:01 AM.) Reason: Specialy
Thanks Meter 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitsharma.atc View Post
Hello friends

Many note 10.1 owners were waiting for kitkat update
Now its available...
But its a total junk
Hallo,

That my mine.

KitKat Update for the Flagship Device, Note 10.1 (2012), is a Shame, a Quick and dirty Update, only they can say we update to Kitkat.

No new Feature (Air Command), Old Software (Weather) convert to new ROM.

The Center Buttons and the Lockscreen come from Google.

In the Future i don't buy any Flagship Device from Samsung, i buy any Budget Device and after 12 Month i drop it into the Trash and buy a newer, but not from Samsung.
Quote:
so long
Dirk K. aka krid.of-k

Quote:
Samsung Galaxy S2
Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Samsung Galaxy 10.1
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to krid.of-k For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

enigma_x
Old
(Last edited by enigma_x; 21st June 2014 at 09:43 AM.)
Thanks Meter 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by krid.of-k View Post

In the Future i don't buy any Flagship Device from Samsung, i buy any Budget Device and after 12 Month i drop it into the Trash and buy a newer.
This is exactly what they want you to do. Buy and consume... unfotunately we have money to consume and pollute environment for nothing.

I have begun thinking to get Surface for my next tablet when my N8000 is end of its life. Allthought three things was necessary to me - a tablet, phone and a pen - to have in one package, i need to think it all over again. And probably need to have a phone and a tablet in the future (which i dont like, but Samsung cant offer reliable support for its devices).

Sent from my phone - Note 10.1 (N8000)
The Following User Says Thank You to enigma_x For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Sam7777777
Old
(Last edited by Sam7777777; 21st June 2014 at 10:17 AM.) Reason: Word error
Thanks Meter 9
Default Agreed with OP with some points

Go for omni if you don't need camera and screen recording features
Omni offers latest kitkat 4.4.3 and gets updated everyday (Delta updates), super smooth, customisable etc.
I installed Touchwiz because i need to use video and screen recording otherwise i would have never updated to touchwiz again, but one good news for touchwiz kitkat is that someday in future out tablet has touch to wake functionality through boeffla kernal.....

The Following User Says Thank You to Sam7777777 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]