Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,761 Members 41,649 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Rooting question with not fully loaded OTA update

Tip us?

quietlyreading
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Rooting question with not fully loaded OTA update

I own a Verizon SCH-I535 that had version 4.1.2 and after months of avoiding the Verizon update I stupidly pressed install now instead of later. I did have enough mind to take the battery out before it could reboot but my question is can I still root? And can I still use the 4.1.2 method? I don't want to install any roms just wish to uninstall any bloat apps.

vax1170
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I had a very similar issue some time ago. Check out my thread at http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2607252

I went in a few circles, soft bricked my phone, but was able to recover. I think the important thing is to verify if your bootloader has been locked or not; boot into odin/recovery mode and checkout the messages posted in my thread. If the bootloader is not locked yet then you have options. If it is locked, you should probably just reboot the phone and let it do it's thing as the locked bootloader cannot be reverted.

Depends on how important this is to you. My wife got the 4.3 update and loves it, but she is not the type to do any customization. I now have a CM 10 d2vzw and am happy. It I were to do this again, I would probably verify you have an unlocked bootloader and re-flash the complete stock 4.1.2 image as I did. Issue is, you will probably lose a lot of data & settings, but things like pictures, etc. should sitll be there. Once the stock 4.1.2 is there you will want to root and disable updates, or else flash a new rom.

doncaruana
Old
Thanks Meter 113
The 4.3 update (and anything after it) locks the bootloader. If that's a big deal to you, then you need to push some custom roms. If not, towelroot works on everything so far, so you'd be able to reroot (pretty hassle free) and do what you want.