Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,801 Members 44,220 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Just wondering what my options are

Tip us?

roostishaw
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Just wondering what my options are

I have the GS4 (I545.06 if it matters), build ME7, on Verizon, Android 4.2.2, with root.

I've been trying to read through threads about upgrading and keeping root, installing CM, etc., but I'm honestly just lost.

So here's what I'm wondering:
  1. Is the latest version of Android for this device on Verizon 4.4.3? If so, can I upgrade with OTA updates to that version and keep (or regain) root somehow? If not, what is the latest version of android that I can upgrade to and still keep root?
  2. It seems very difficult or impossible to install a normal, up-to-date, functioning version of CM on this phone due to bootloader issues. Is this correct?

I gained root on this device so long ago that I'm not even 100% sure what I did to get root or keep it. I think I used Titanium Backup to "freeze" the system apk that checks for OTA updates from Verzion, and that is why I am still on 4.2.2.

Anyway, I'm super confused and just wondering what my options are as far as upgrading to the latest version of Android or CM at this point from the state my phone is currently in. If I left out some necessary info please let me know.

Thanks in advance!

decaturbob
Old
Thanks Meter 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by roostishaw View Post
I have the GS4 (I545.06 if it matters), build ME7, on Verizon, Android 4.2.2, with root.

I've been trying to read through threads about upgrading and keeping root, installing CM, etc., but I'm honestly just lost.

So here's what I'm wondering:
  1. Is the latest version of Android for this device on Verizon 4.4.3? If so, can I upgrade with OTA updates to that version and keep (or regain) root somehow? If not, what is the latest version of android that I can upgrade to and still keep root?
  2. It seems very difficult or impossible to install a normal, up-to-date, functioning version of CM on this phone due to bootloader issues. Is this correct?

I gained root on this device so long ago that I'm not even 100% sure what I did to get root or keep it. I think I used Titanium Backup to "freeze" the system apk that checks for OTA updates from Verzion, and that is why I am still on 4.2.2.

Anyway, I'm super confused and just wondering what my options are as far as upgrading to the latest version of Android or CM at this point from the state my phone is currently in. If I left out some necessary info please let me know.

Thanks in advance!
did you read the links and look at youtube videos listed in this thread? Remember modding your phone is not for the faint of heart and you need to understand and be able to use odin and be familiar with ADB as well.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2606501
so long Verizon and my awesome S4 , hello TMO G3