Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,728,959 Members 44,998 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Terrible 4.4.3 and 4.4.4 radio on Sprint network (LTE only lasts 2 mins)

Tip us?

Merudo
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Default [Q] Terrible 4.4.3 and 4.4.4 radio on Sprint network (LTE only lasts 2 mins)

When I am on 4.4.3 and 4.4.4 radio, my LTE connection is absolutely terrible. It has pitiful speed, and typically only last 2 minutes or less before reverting back to 3G.

Did anyone find a way to make these radios work? As far as I can tell, the only answer is to downgrade by flashing a 4.4.2 radio.

I heard something is wrong with band 26. Maybe it would be possible to disable that?

roirraW "edor" ehT
Old
Thanks Meter 1305
I haven't heard of any 4.4.3 or 4.4.4 radio/modem for the SPH-L710. ND8/NDC are the newest, both for the latest official stock ROM which is 4.4.2.

Could it be you were flashing modems not meant to be flashed on our phone? If so, you're lucky the phone wasn't bricked. You should flash the NDC modem or re-Odin the stock ND8 tar.

[BATTERY] Plasma Battery! 🆕🆒🆓 & wickeddecimalbarwide_colors

Charging still shot

n00b-xda-disciple's Wicked X Video review

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy SIII on TouchWiz 4.4.2 with Conquest: Singularity v2.2, Ktoonsez' latest kernel and the latest Philz Touch Recovery.
The Following User Says Thank You to roirraW "edor" ehT For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

beezie42
Old
Thanks Meter 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merudo View Post
When I am on 4.4.3 and 4.4.4 radio, my LTE connection is absolutely terrible. It has pitiful speed, and typically only last 2 minutes or less before reverting back to 3G.

Did anyone find a way to make these radios work? As far as I can tell, the only answer is to downgrade by flashing a 4.4.2 radio.

I heard something is wrong with band 26. Maybe it would be possible to disable that?
I know this isn't much of a fix but I have a similar problem. I always loose 4g even when I know it's there.

I just switch the phone into LTE only mode and it stays connected none stop, well unless you move out of a coverage area.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to beezie42 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jdsingle76
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merudo View Post

@roirraW "edor" ehT may be right. There are no 4.4.3 or 4.4.4 radios for the SIII. Did you flash ROMs that were AOSP that were "4.4.3" or "4.4.4"? If so, you didn't change your modem, because they don't flash modems. You were still on the 4.4.2 modem. With the SIII, there is no way to disable the bands. Tri-band is out for the S5, which if you have your MSL you can disable different bands, but if you go into your ##DATA# settings for the SIII, it's simply LTE enabled/disabled. What you may want to try is flash back to complete stock, run ##72786# to reactivate, update PRL and PROFILE, and see if that helps. Also, if you need 4G LTE and it's not coming up, and you know you're in a 4g area, then toggle airplane mode and it should re-lock into 4g once you turn airplane mode off. Good luck.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jdsingle76 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Merudo
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsingle76 View Post
@roirraW "edor" ehT may be right. There are no 4.4.3 or 4.4.4 radios for the SIII. Did you flash ROMs that were AOSP that were "4.4.3" or "4.4.4"? If so, you didn't change your modem, because they don't flash modems. You were still on the 4.4.2 modem. With the SIII, there is no way to disable the bands. Tri-band is out for the S5, which if you have your MSL you can disable different bands, but if you go into your ##DATA# settings for the SIII, it's simply LTE enabled/disabled. What you may want to try is flash back to complete stock, run ##72786# to reactivate, update PRL and PROFILE, and see if that helps. Also, if you need 4G LTE and it's not coming up, and you know you're in a 4g area, then toggle airplane mode and it should re-lock into 4g once you turn airplane mode off. Good luck.
That is probably what happened. I had no idea which radio I was on, but getting the ND8 radio fixed the issue.

Thanks!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Merudo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]