Log file: UNLOCKED, HBOOT 2.09, S-ON, Software 3.17 to MeanBean

Search This thread

SethW

Jan 7, 2014
The back story...
I had to ditch Verizon. I didn't want to fork over $300 for a Republic Wireless phone only to be stuck with their crappy ROM, and the only 4G LTE android phone supported by Ting is the Evo 4G LTE; picked one up for $50 on ebay. I installed Cyanogenmod on a half dozen devices, newer and older than this phone, and thought this HTC Evo 4G LTE would be as easy as they were to unlock, root, S-OFF and flash. I've been more wrong before, but not without resulting in bodily harm. A hearty 'get stuffed' to HTC for this, and a plea for future rooters to have a concise guide on how to repair their phone under these circumstances.

The flawed process...
I went through HTC's unlock method to unlock the phone. Then I installed the latest TWRP via fastboot command line (2.7.1.0b as I found in a thread somewhere). No problems so far... I then went to install the latest CM build for Jewel (10.2.0 ) through TWRP 2.7.1.0b and it failed. This marked the first time I'd ever seen a fail message in TWRP. I thought no big deal, I'll restore the backup... The backup was gone. Now we have problems; phone is stuck in a bootloop. After reading many threads stating that S-OFF is required to flash their ROM, I tried to achieve that in Windows 7 to no avail through all available means. I then tried the closest RUU for my phone, and it failed. I then tried every RUU I could find, all failed. I tried a full firmware update to 4.13 via PJ75IMG.zip on the SD card, which failed.

The repair process that worked for my situation...
Once I focused on the HBOOT as a potential issue, I found this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=40848479#post40848479
Quite simply, MeanBean 3.09 worked as advertised, and my phone has booted into a ROM for the first time in days! A HUGE thanks to both Magnum_Enforcer and mikeyxda.

Specific phone information
TAMPERED
UNLOCKED
JEWEL PVT SHIP S-ON RL
HBOOT-2.09.0000
RADIO-1.13.11.0830
OpenDSP-v31.1.0.45.0815
eMMC-boot
Oct 18 2012, 15:46:20

IMAGE CRC
rpm: 0xBC1CB8D
sbl1: 0x507A9B32
sbl2: 0xEAF345D0
sbl3: 0xD5BB18AD
tz: 0xFB084399
radio: 0xC78A66EB
boot: 0xB683E2D
recovery: 0xB47A92E4
system: 0x376A0C9B

Software Version Reported by RUU: 3.17.651.5

SethW

Jan 7, 2014
I'm going to keep this log going, since I think quite a few people will follow a similar path as I'm following.

Just tried to achieve S-OFF with the new MeanBean ROM I'm running.

First attempt: Firewater
All of the steps went exactly as expected. The command line dialog was amusing, and ended in "nasty, needs a chaser" or something and rebooted to the ROM. Once rebooted into recovery to verify s-off status, S-ON is reported.

Second attempt: Rumrunner
More interesting dialog in the process, and it, too, went smoothly. Rebooted into bootloader and voila...S-OFF achieved.

Installed Dirty Unicorns 4.4.4
So, after the first day's use I've come to realize that my PRL needs updating and the Dirty Unicorn 4.4.4 ("du_jewel_4.4.4_20140621-0657") ROM doesn't have a 'Update PRL' function as far as I can tell. I backed up DU 4.4.4 and restored MeanBean, updated the PRL, and restored back into DU 4.4.4 with ease.
After using DU for a week, I've come to realize it's fairly unstable. I'll be looking for a different rom soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: airdog99

airdog99

Jul 8, 2014
Chicago
OMG!!!! FINALLY!!!

I've been reading and reading and pulling my hair out for 3 days after attempting to load a custom Rom on my Evo 4G LTE.
I have almost exactly the same situation/experience as you did. I was able to get the CyanogenMod to load but for the life of I can't get any gapps installed. I've tried loading from TWRP and the SDcard to no avail. It looks like it flashes fine but when I reboot the phone no apps are installed. I like CM 10.2.0 but I need the Google apps. Right now I'm missing so many things like contacts, etc. I've tried to install Google Play and just download each app individually but it crashes on start. I'm really feeling lost here and helpless. I never had problems like this with my original EVO or EVO 3D. Tried to go back to stock using Sprint RUU's but nothing works...
I've highlighted my differences in RED.

Is there anyway you could explain your method to get your EVO S-off in more detail? Is this the problem?

The flawed process...
I went through HTC's unlock method to unlock the phone. Then I installed the latest TWRP via fastboot command line (2.7.1.0b as I found in a thread somewhere) (I loaded TWRP 2.7.1.0 which seemed to work) . No problems so far... I then went to install the latest CM build for Jewel (10.2.0 ) through TWRP 2.7.1.0b and it failed (I was able to load CM 10.2.0 through Fast Boot boot.img command) . This marked the first time I'd ever seen a fail message in TWRP. I thought no big deal, I'll restore the backup... The backup was gone (Same here, Backup gone). Now we have problems; phone is stuck in a bootloop (I watched the CyanogenMod screen spin for 2 hours). After reading many threads stating that S-OFF is required to flash their ROM, I tried to achieve that in Windows 7 to no avail through all available means (same here, tried several ways but nothing worked for Windows 7). I then tried the closest RUU for my phone, and it failed (same here). I then tried every RUU I could find, all failed. ( I tried a full firmware update to 4.13 via PJ75IMG.zip on the SD card, which failed.

Specific phone information My Info is exactly the same
TAMPERED
UNLOCKED
JEWEL PVT SHIP S-ON RL
HBOOT-2.09.0000
RADIO-1.13.11.0830
OpenDSP-v31.1.0.45.0815
eMMC-boot
Oct 18 2012, 15:46:20

Software Version Reported by RUU: 3.17.651.5

Last edited:

SethW

Jan 7, 2014
Is there anyway you could explain your method to get your EVO S-off in more detail? Is this the problem?

I just ran the program as it specified. Make sure your drivers are installed correctly... that step usually caught me up because some Android device drivers conflicted with some of my other Android device drivers.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Glad to help:thumbup:

Sent from my HTC device
    I'm going to keep this log going, since I think quite a few people will follow a similar path as I'm following.

Just tried to achieve S-OFF with the new MeanBean ROM I'm running.

First attempt: Firewater
    All of the steps went exactly as expected. The command line dialog was amusing, and ended in "nasty, needs a chaser" or something and rebooted to the ROM. Once rebooted into recovery to verify s-off status, S-ON is reported.

Second attempt: Rumrunner
    More interesting dialog in the process, and it, too, went smoothly. Rebooted into bootloader and voila...S-OFF achieved.

Installed Dirty Unicorns 4.4.4
    So, after the first day's use I've come to realize that my PRL needs updating and the Dirty Unicorn 4.4.4 ("du_jewel_4.4.4_20140621-0657") ROM doesn't have a 'Update PRL' function as far as I can tell. I backed up DU 4.4.4 and restored MeanBean, updated the PRL, and restored back into DU 4.4.4 with ease.
    After using DU for a week, I've come to realize it's fairly unstable. I'll be looking for a different rom soon.