Speed Up Deodexing with JoelDroid Batch Deodexer

Android 5.0 Lollipop brings many under-the-hood changes like changing the default compiler … more

Top 5 Apps for 2014 + Top Xposed Mod of 2014 – XDA TV

Its that time of year where you look back and remember the things that happened … more

NVIDIA SHIELD Tablet Gets Android 5.0.1, OTA Available

The NVIDIA SHIELD Tablet is the latest Android-powered device released by famed GPU … more

FXP Team Delivers Lollipop to Various Xperia Devices!

From all of us here at XDA-Developers, we’d like to wish you Happy Holidays! If … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[Q] New GTP 8.4. Should I let it update itself?

OP stuartv

30th June 2014, 01:26 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 48
 
346 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2012
I got a new Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 (SM-T320) on Friday. $249 at Best Buy finally pushed me over the edge (yay!).

The current build that is on it is T320UEU1ANAI.

It has an OTA update available that it wants to install, but, of course, it doesn't tell me what the new build is. I have been clicking on Later, so far.

I expect that I will want to use TowelRoot to root this without tripping Knox, and I'll want to install at least a custom recovery and some Xposed modules. I may want to try a custom ROM in the future, and I understand that that will trip Knox no matter what. But, from what I read, as long as I use TowelRoot and just root and install a recovery, I won't trip Knox.

Is all that correct?

If I let this pending OTA go ahead and install, will I still be able to use TowelRoot and install a custom recovery without tripping Knox?

TIA!
30th June 2014, 02:44 AM   |  #2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 3,035
 
1,932 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2011
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartv

I got a new Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 (SM-T320) on Friday. $249 at Best Buy finally pushed me over the edge (yay!).

The current build that is on it is T320UEU1ANAI.

It has an OTA update available that it wants to install, but, of course, it doesn't tell me what the new build is. I have been clicking on Later, so far.

I expect that I will want to use TowelRoot to root this without tripping Knox, and I'll want to install at least a custom recovery and some Xposed modules. I may want to try a custom ROM in the future, and I understand that that will trip Knox no matter what. But, from what I read, as long as I use TowelRoot and just root and install a recovery, I won't trip Knox.

Is all that correct?

If I let this pending OTA go ahead and install, will I still be able to use TowelRoot and install a custom recovery without tripping Knox?

TIA!

Installing a custom recovery will trip knox.
The Following User Says Thank You to crpalmer For This Useful Post: [ View ]
30th June 2014, 03:37 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 48
 
346 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2012
Thanks, crpalmer. I read that TowelRoot doesn't trip it, but I was definitely still uncertain about installing a recovery and tripping Knox. Good to know.

So, anyway, if I take this OTA, will I still be able to root and install a custom recovery if I want? I've rooted and ROMed other devices in the past. But, I have a Verizon S4 and I already got burned with it by taking an OTA without researching thoroughly first. Now, my S4 is totally locked down and looks like it'll never be cracked. I definitely want to avoid that happening with this GTP.
30th June 2014, 05:14 AM   |  #4  
drmacrofish's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 249
 
565 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartv

Thanks, crpalmer. I read that TowelRoot doesn't trip it, but I was definitely still uncertain about installing a recovery and tripping Knox. Good to know.

So, anyway, if I take this OTA, will I still be able to root and install a custom recovery if I want? I've rooted and ROMed other devices in the past. But, I have a Verizon S4 and I already got burned with it by taking an OTA without researching thoroughly first. Now, my S4 is totally locked down and looks like it'll never be cracked. I definitely want to avoid that happening with this GTP.

Yes, let it update. Towelroot works with the update perfectly and than you can do twrp or just have root access and keep Knox intact if you need it for some reason.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk
30th June 2014, 05:17 AM   |  #5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 26
 
212 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartv

Thanks, crpalmer. I read that TowelRoot doesn't trip it, but I was definitely still uncertain about installing a recovery and tripping Knox. Good to know.

So, anyway, if I take this OTA, will I still be able to root and install a custom recovery if I want? I've rooted and ROMed other devices in the past. But, I have a Verizon S4 and I already got burned with it by taking an OTA without researching thoroughly first. Now, my S4 is totally locked down and looks like it'll never be cracked. I definitely want to avoid that happening with this GTP.

I used towel root on a newer version as mine was already on the latest.

My future plans are much like yours. Stock rooted for a while, then custom recovery and roms.

Cheers,
Rich
30th June 2014, 05:33 AM   |  #6  
metaldood's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Bay Area
Thanks Meter: 71
 
1,049 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rholm

I used towel root on a newer version as mine was already on the latest.

My future plans are much like yours. Stock rooted for a while, then custom recovery and roms.

Cheers,
Rich

Hi I just bought the Tab Pro from BestBuy. Is towelroot enough to root AND not to trip knox? Or do we have to flash the kernel from this thread?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2786800
30th June 2014, 06:30 AM   |  #7  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 26
 
212 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by metaldood

Hi I just bought the Tab Pro from BestBuy. Is towelroot enough to root AND not to trip knox? Or do we have to flash the kernel from this thread?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2786800

That's all I needed on the latest US rom. No kernel update needed.

Cheers,
Rich


Sent from my BN NookHD+ using Tapatalk
30th June 2014, 06:31 AM   |  #8  
metaldood's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Bay Area
Thanks Meter: 71
 
1,049 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rholm

That's all I needed on the latest US rom.

Cheers,
Rich


Sent from my BN NookHD+ using Tapatalk

Towelroot worked on latest firmware.

However it did not work on the previous firmware. Tablet rebooted everytime.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes