Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,731 Members 50,353 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] SideSync and debloating / custom kernel

Tip us?

büscher
Old
(Last edited by büscher; 22nd June 2014 at 09:37 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 473
Default [Q] SideSync and debloating / custom kernel

hello everyone

I bought a gtab pro 8.4 and first thing to do was to root, install a proper recovery and of course a custom kernel. After that I debloated my stock rom but I deleted nothing I would call important.

this is my first upper class samsung device since years (I own a galaxy nexus) and I have a question that may some of you could answer:

Does SideSync:

- need KNOX to work?
- depend on other preinstalled apps?
- not work if binary counter for custom roms or kernel is increased?

I can't get it to work, neither with USB nor over Wifi...

Thank you all

edit: or is sidesync on our tabs only to control the mobile phone and not to be controlled by a computer?

stuartv
Old
Thanks Meter 48
I have a GTP 8.4 and an S4 phone. I have SideSync 3.0 setup with them paired.

1) I believe SideSync is only between phone and tablet - no PC involved or supported.

2) After playing with it for 30 minutes or so, SideSync looks completely useless to me.

- SideSync will only connect the devices when they are both on the same WiFi network. So, if you're out and about, you can use it. If you're using your phone as a hotspot and the tablet connected to the Internet via the hotspot, you also can't use SideSync.

- There is a free app for Verizon customers called Verizon Messages, which I already have on my tablet, It gives me full SMS/MMS mirroring between my phone and tablet - without having to pair the devices.

- Leaving SideSync running all the time is a battery hog, so you wouldn't want to do that. So, when you DO want to use it, you have to start it on both devices. Well, if I'm going to pick up my phone to start SideSync, just to control it with my tablet, what's the point? I can just do whatever I need to do on my phone when I pick it up.

- Being able to place/receive calls using my tablet, with it actually going through the phone might be cool sometimes, but, as I said, if I have to grab my phone and start SideSync first, I'm probably just going to make the call using the phone. Alternatively, I'd try to figure out a way to pair my tab to the phone using Bluetooth and use the tablet as a handsfree device instead, leaving SideSync out of it.

If anyone can tell me something useful about SideSync, I'd love to hear it. I may have tried it and totally missed some cool use case.