Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,777,659 Members 44,457 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Activate & Unlock International GSM for Unactivated Sprint Galaxy S5

Tip us?

ignaciogh
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Activate & Unlock International GSM for Unactivated Sprint Galaxy S5

Hello everyone!

Im Argentinian and bought by accident a Sprint Galaxy S5 (no contract) on Amazon instead of buying a factory unlocked version.

The thing is I live in Argentina and it seems I have to activate the phone with Sprint in order to use it.

IŽd like to know:
1) what is this activation process? is it really necesary? I ovbiously cant do it from Argentina.
2) i need to use the phone with an argentinian carrier, gsm. is there any process to allow it? Currently the phone says "Invalid SIM Card".

Thanks in advance!

2nIce
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Default Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignaciogh View Post
Hello everyone!

Im Argentinian and bought by accident a Sprint Galaxy S5 (no contract) on Amazon instead of buying a factory unlocked version.

The thing is I live in Argentina and it seems I have to activate the phone with Sprint in order to use it.

IŽd like to know:
1) what is this activation process? is it really necesary? I ovbiously cant do it from Argentina.
2) i need to use the phone with an argentinian carrier, gsm. is there any process to allow it? Currently the phone says "Invalid SIM Card".

Thanks in advance!
Hello there
I have got a question for you, I am myself am curious to find out if this phone can be unlocked for use aborad.
My question to you, when you put in your foreign card, do you get a window prompting you to Enter an Unlock Code??
Do let me know

bryanu
Old
Thanks Meter 29
If you paid full non-contract price for it Sprint will give you the unlock code, though not sure if they will make you activate it first :/

That said, if you've not activated it the phone is still considered new. Have you checked if Amazon will allow you to exchange it?

Epix4G
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 1034
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanu View Post
If you paid full non-contract price for it Sprint will give you the unlock code, though not sure if they will make you activate it first :/

That said, if you've not activated it the phone is still considered new. Have you checked if Amazon will allow you to exchange it?
If it's like the note 3 ....there is no unlock code you have to have sprint unlock it ....it's even encrypted and have to be done through international dept ....they have learned their lesson from s4 and htc one .... it's not a easy one

Sent from my SM-G900P using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

ignaciogh
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nIce View Post
Hello there
I have got a question for you, I am myself am curious to find out if this phone can be unlocked for use aborad.
My question to you, when you put in your foreign card, do you get a window prompting you to Enter an Unlock Code??
Do let me know
No, I dont get that promp. It just says "Invalid SIM Card".

ignaciogh
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epix4G View Post
If it's like the note 3 ....there is no unlock code you have to have sprint unlock it ....it's even encrypted and have to be done through international dept ....they have learned their lesson from s4 and htc one .... it's not a easy one

I asked in this thread. Someone told me to try that.

Are you saying Sprint Note 3 is impossible to unlock?

Im starting to think my only chance is getting the phone to the US (i have family there), activate it with a prepaid SIM card, wait 90 days and them unlock it for international usage.

Do you know if for the international unlock part the phone needs to be in the US?

Thanks!

Epix4G
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 1034
Quote:
Originally Posted by ignaciogh View Post
I asked in this thread. Someone told me to try that.

Are you saying Sprint Note 3 is impossible to unlock?

Im starting to think my only chance is getting the phone to the US (i have family there), activate it with a prepaid SIM card, wait 90 days and them unlock it for international usage.

Do you know if for the international unlock part the phone needs to be in the US?

Thanks!
I know it's done over the air ...I was told they have to manually release the imei in their system and then the ota is encrypted and it's stored in nv ram in phone ... so far there is no way to unlock note 3 without sprint doing it

eyecon82
Old
Thanks Meter 1649
call sprint and ask for their world/international department

some give you crap saying you need to own the phone for a certain amount of time, but just ask for a supervisor and they will put in an unlock request code for you

you can also reach the international dept via chat at www.sprint.com/chat

just use a VPN and connect to the USA so they think you are in the states

xxdjhugoxx
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epix4G View Post

whats the code for the note3?

jodhaaa
Old
Thanks Meter 7
any luck with unlocking the phone?

Tags
galaxy s5, samsung, sprint, unactivated, unlock