Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,782,725 Members 37,978 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[N900W8] Safely upgrade to Kit Kat without blocking flash back to 4.3 and retain 0x0

Tip us?

polish_pat
Old
(Last edited by polish_pat; 17th February 2014 at 08:43 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 346

DONATE TO ME
Default [N900W8] Safely upgrade to Kit Kat without blocking flash back to 4.3 and retain 0x0

This is reserved for W8 only! If you have any other model, this will not work

Whats different from the other other upgrade threads? This one doesn't block you from going back to 4.3, it allows you to retain knox 0x0 and it's safe.

Just tried this, worked perfectly. I came from X-Note 7.0 and did this on my friends Note 3 and he was on stock. I already had knox 0x1 but i was alble to keep his at 0x0.

As of now, this has only been tested on W8 model as it takes the files from the Telcel firmware (mexico). You can use this method on any W8 model, the only thing you will have to change is substitute my modem (CP) by the modem from the latest 4.3 firmware of your carrier. It seems as the MD5 from all modems for all canadian carriers match exactly, so the model for rogers also applies to Bell and Telus

If you are coming from a non-canadian W8, you can extract your modem directly from stock firmware. Here is how:
Quote:
This is just an example on how to extract a modem from a stock firmware:

Use winrar to:
1- extract firmware downloaded on sammobile.com or other (please use latest firmware), should output an MD5 file.
2- Rename that file from xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.tar.md5 to xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.tar
3- extract .tar firmware and locate modem.bin file
4- compress the modem.bin, it should give you a modem.zip
5- rename that modem.zip to modem.tar
6- You not have your flashable odin modem

Upgrading to Kit Kat and downgrading back to 4.3 does not trip knox, and rooting using my instructions either. Be sure to turn off reactivation lock before flashing this. This method gives you an easy way to official 4.4.2, once you're there, you can flash any 4.4 rom.

Also, and this is an important factor for a lot of people, this doesn't block you from going back to 4.3. If ever you want to go back to Jelly Bean 4.3, just flash back to it via ODIN

Download all the files, PIT, BL, AP. CP and CSC, the flash via ODIN 3.09. Then flash CF-Root and CWM if you wish. I did not check re-partition in ODIN, it worked for both of my Notes, most users didn't check it either, but a small few said the flash failed until they checked re-partition, either way, it should not brick your device.

Here are the links to the files:

PIT: http://pc.cd/K7H (MD5: e2dba603c963443660b369e04b07d574)

BL: http://pc.cd/gXH (MD5: 1bce2f5a137901e2fb206379d3e7ae11)

AP: http://pc.cd/7kH (MD5: 08443eb20702a975fc0be85f7e9c439d)

CSC (this one is for Canada only, if you have any other carrier please download yours): http://www.mediafire.com/download/xn...+Multi+CSC.tar
(MD5: beae61ca1628b303657c40e14cac3fb6)

CP: http://www.mediafire.com/download/1o...m+%28CP%29.tar (MD5: 45522799eb027108fa1c493cbd83abf5)

ODIN: http://uploaded.net/file/hwtdrpll

CF-Root: http://download.chainfire.eu/352/CF-...etrieve_file=1 Don't use included ODIN in CF-Root, use 3.09 and flash via AP

CWM: http://d-h.st/gb3 (MD5: 31e4a86b58837ba87bfa1bf2073371db)

Enjoy!

Thanks to Oogar for a more complete version of this process. This method does break WiFi and NFC so head over to his thread for the patch and a proper thanks
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to polish_pat For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

radicalisto
Old
Thanks Meter 1,403

DONATE TO ME
I can confirm after testing this a few times on the N9005 that it is only working on the N900w8.
// LG G3 (D855) // Stock // Stock //

S3(White) > M7(Red) > Note 3(Black) > Nexus 5(Black) > M8(Gunmetal) > LG G3 (Titan Grey)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to radicalisto For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

polish_pat
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 346

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by radicalisto View Post
I can confirm after testing this a few times on the N9005 that it is only working on the N900w8.
That's too bad, but at least there are other ways for you guys!
The Following User Says Thank You to polish_pat For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

radicalisto
Old
Thanks Meter 1,403

DONATE TO ME
There will be a way around it I think, especially as the w8 can do it. Shows it's possible somehow

S3(White) > M7(Red) > Note 3(Black) > Nexus 5(Black) > M8(Gunmetal) > LG G3 (Titan Grey)

polish_pat
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 346

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
There will be a way around it I think, especially as the w8 can do it. Shows it's possible somehow
is there any official 9005 firmware? I saw today that besides poland, russia also got the firmware which is exynos based, also deployment in eastern europe is under way, can't we apply this method to the 9005?
The Following User Says Thank You to polish_pat For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

radicalisto
Old
Thanks Meter 1,403

DONATE TO ME
Only the .pl firmware currently, status on sammobile shows AFG (Afghanistan) region is pending apparently, so I expect a wide roll out any time soon.

polish_pat
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 346

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Only the .pl firmware currently, status on sammobile shows AFG (Afghanistan) region is pending apparently, so I expect a wide roll out any time soon.
in that case, can we apply this method and substitute the mexican files for the polish ones? It seems technically possible
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to polish_pat For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Canadoc
Old
Thanks Meter 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by polish_pat View Post
Whats different from the other other upgrade threads? This one doesn't block you from going back to 4.3 and it's safe.

Just tried this, worked perfectly. I came from X-Note 7.0 and did this on my friends Note 3 and he was on stock.

As of now, this has only been tested on W8 model as it takes the files from the Telcel firmware (mexico). You can use this method on any W8 model, the only thing you will have to change is substitute my modem (CP) by the modem from the latest 4.3 firmware of your carrier. You can take the official tar file and extract the modem.bin and re-zip it back to a tar file and use that.

This does not trip knox, be sure to turn off reactivation lock before flashing this. This method gives you an easy way to official 4.4.2, once you're there, you can flash any 4.4 rom.

Also, and this is an important factor for a lot of people, this doesn't block you from going back to 4.3. If ever you want to go back to Jelly Bean 4.3, just flash back to it via ODIN

Enjoy!
Rogers user here. Stock. To clarify.
Can I flash these files and well be in 4.4.2? Without tripping Knox? And can go back to 4.3?

Will this reset my phone?or will my data and apps still be intact?

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

polish_pat
Old
(Last edited by polish_pat; 21st January 2014 at 01:36 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 346

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadoc View Post
Rogers user here. Stock. To clarify.
Can I flash these files and well be in 4.4.2? Without tripping Knox? And can go back to 4.3?

Will this reset my phone?or will my data and apps still be intact?

I hope you,re kidding for this "Can I flash these files and well be in 4.4.2? Without tripping Knox? And can go back to 4.3?" If you were not able to confirm this information while reading the OP, i'm not sure anything else but a drawing will help you. No offence

And as for your last question, yes, your phone will be wiped clean
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to polish_pat For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Canadoc
Old
Thanks Meter 101
Well I was under impression that flagging would upgrade the bootloader from which you couldn't go back.
Also wanted to be sure the included files were good for Rogers without me needing to separately including my own modem