Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
View Poll Results: How's your GPS on your G2?
It works great! 0 0%
Not so good... 3 100.00%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

[Q] GPS lock is awful

OP DJMaj07

29th June 2014, 03:46 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 20

178 posts
More
I'm currently on Optimus DE v2.3 with Sprint as my carrier. I've tried multiple ROMs, including stock, and the GPS is wildly inaccurate. Sometimes it'll get a good enough fix to navigate, and other times it'll get confused and freeze my location or be really inaccurate. I honestly think these problems started after the KitKat update because it wasn't quite this bad on Jelly Bean. This makes me think it's software related, not hardware related. Take a look at this picture below, I have an S3 on the left and the G2 on the right:

Any ideas on possible fixes? I really don't want to downgrade to Jelly Bean just because of this. I've tried using GPS apps from the Play Store, such as GPS Status and Toolbox, GPS Test, etc. but they haven't made any difference.
The Following User Says Thank You to DJMaj07 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
29th June 2014, 08:11 AM   |  #2  
Flag Los angeles
Thanks Meter: 171

678 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJMaj07

I'm currently on Optimus DE v2.3 with Sprint as my carrier. I've tried multiple ROMs, including stock, and the GPS is wildly inaccurate. Sometimes it'll get a good enough fix to navigate, and other times it'll get confused and freeze my location or be really inaccurate. I honestly think these problems started after the KitKat update because it wasn't quite this bad on Jelly Bean. This makes me think it's software related, not hardware related. Take a look at this picture below, I have an S3 on the left and the G2 on the right:

Any ideas on possible fixes? I really don't want to downgrade to Jelly Bean just because of this. I've tried using GPS apps from the Play Store, such as GPS Status and Toolbox, GPS Test, etc. but they haven't made any difference.

Guessing you already have it on high accuracy? Might have to flash a stock ROM and get a good GPS lock then reflash again
29th June 2014, 03:46 PM   |  #3  
Flag City of Angels
Thanks Meter: 272

273 posts
More
I had the same issue. Let me tell you absolutely no stock ROMs helped either. Oddly enough only aosp is 100% accurate and gives me zero gps issues. I'm running paranoid android and while it does have it's issues like volumes are a tad too high and there are wakelock issues.... Having the ability to use my GPS far outweighs that. I need to use GPS quite a lot.

Try out paranoid android and let me know if you see the same.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk
29th June 2014, 05:01 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 660

2,258 posts
Have you tried FasterGPS from the play store?

made a world of difference on my n5
29th June 2014, 06:50 PM   |  #5  
Flag Beneath the sea
Thanks Meter: 41

100 posts
More
Try this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdDJqFxpRy8
29th June 2014, 08:10 PM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member

178 posts
More
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll try all of them and report back
30th June 2014, 12:56 AM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member

178 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeestaAytch

I had the same issue. Let me tell you absolutely no stock ROMs helped either. Oddly enough only aosp is 100% accurate and gives me zero gps issues. I'm running paranoid android and while it does have it's issues like volumes are a tad too high and there are wakelock issues.... Having the ability to use my GPS far outweighs that. I need to use GPS quite a lot.

Try out paranoid android and let me know if you see the same.

Which PA version are you on? I want the exact build so I can flash it and know that I have better chances of the GPS working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meangreenie

Have you tried FasterGPS from the play store?

made a world of difference on my n5

Didn't help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightbeat

Try this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdDJqFxpRy8

Interesting. Had high hopes for it, but it didn't help either, or only helped marginally.
30th June 2014, 01:39 AM   |  #8  
Flag City of Angels

273 posts
More
I've tried all that as well, only aosp works for me.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2502789

That's where I got it. OP has all the info to download it for our variant. Also find out if you're LGD or JDI panel so you can use the necessary kernel.

30th June 2014, 03:49 AM   |  #9  
OP Senior Member

178 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeestaAytch

I've tried all that as well, only aosp works for me.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2502789

That's where I got it. OP has all the info to download it for our variant. Also find out if you're LGD or JDI panel so you can use the necessary kernel.

Edit: Back on Stock and idk what I did differently but it's good now! Thanks everyone!
Last edited by DJMaj07; 30th June 2014 at 05:31 PM.
30th June 2014, 04:07 AM   |  #10  
Flag City of Angels

273 posts
More
I did nothing special. I was official stock ZVC. Did root via ioroot then autorec then flashed PA and been using it for a while.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread