Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,733,547 Members 43,397 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum
View Poll Results: How's your GPS on your G2?
It works great! 0 0%
Not so good... 3 100.00%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

[Q] GPS lock is awful

Tip us?

DJMaj07
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 20
Default [Q] GPS lock is awful

I'm currently on Optimus DE v2.3 with Sprint as my carrier. I've tried multiple ROMs, including stock, and the GPS is wildly inaccurate. Sometimes it'll get a good enough fix to navigate, and other times it'll get confused and freeze my location or be really inaccurate. I honestly think these problems started after the KitKat update because it wasn't quite this bad on Jelly Bean. This makes me think it's software related, not hardware related. Take a look at this picture below, I have an S3 on the left and the G2 on the right:

Any ideas on possible fixes? I really don't want to downgrade to Jelly Bean just because of this. I've tried using GPS apps from the Play Store, such as GPS Status and Toolbox, GPS Test, etc. but they haven't made any difference.
Current Device: LG G2

Past Devices:
The Following User Says Thank You to DJMaj07 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

RubbleTea
Old
Thanks Meter 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJMaj07 View Post
I'm currently on Optimus DE v2.3 with Sprint as my carrier. I've tried multiple ROMs, including stock, and the GPS is wildly inaccurate. Sometimes it'll get a good enough fix to navigate, and other times it'll get confused and freeze my location or be really inaccurate. I honestly think these problems started after the KitKat update because it wasn't quite this bad on Jelly Bean. This makes me think it's software related, not hardware related. Take a look at this picture below, I have an S3 on the left and the G2 on the right:

Any ideas on possible fixes? I really don't want to downgrade to Jelly Bean just because of this. I've tried using GPS apps from the Play Store, such as GPS Status and Toolbox, GPS Test, etc. but they haven't made any difference.
Guessing you already have it on high accuracy? Might have to flash a stock ROM and get a good GPS lock then reflash again

MeestaAytch
Old
Thanks Meter 232
I had the same issue. Let me tell you absolutely no stock ROMs helped either. Oddly enough only aosp is 100% accurate and gives me zero gps issues. I'm running paranoid android and while it does have it's issues like volumes are a tad too high and there are wakelock issues.... Having the ability to use my GPS far outweighs that. I need to use GPS quite a lot.

Try out paranoid android and let me know if you see the same.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

meangreenie
Old
Thanks Meter 617
Have you tried FasterGPS from the play store?

made a world of difference on my n5

Nightbeat
Old
Thanks Meter 15
Try this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdDJqFxpRy8

DJMaj07
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 20
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll try all of them and report back

Past Devices:

DJMaj07
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeestaAytch View Post
I had the same issue. Let me tell you absolutely no stock ROMs helped either. Oddly enough only aosp is 100% accurate and gives me zero gps issues. I'm running paranoid android and while it does have it's issues like volumes are a tad too high and there are wakelock issues.... Having the ability to use my GPS far outweighs that. I need to use GPS quite a lot.

Try out paranoid android and let me know if you see the same.

Which PA version are you on? I want the exact build so I can flash it and know that I have better chances of the GPS working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meangreenie View Post
Have you tried FasterGPS from the play store?

made a world of difference on my n5
Didn't help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightbeat View Post
Interesting. Had high hopes for it, but it didn't help either, or only helped marginally.

Past Devices:

MeestaAytch
Old
Thanks Meter 232
I've tried all that as well, only aosp works for me.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2502789

That's where I got it. OP has all the info to download it for our variant. Also find out if you're LGD or JDI panel so you can use the necessary kernel.

DJMaj07
Old
(Last edited by DJMaj07; 30th June 2014 at 04:31 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeestaAytch View Post
I've tried all that as well, only aosp works for me.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2502789

That's where I got it. OP has all the info to download it for our variant. Also find out if you're LGD or JDI panel so you can use the necessary kernel.

Edit: Back on Stock and idk what I did differently but it's good now! Thanks everyone!

Past Devices:

MeestaAytch
Old
Thanks Meter 232
I did nothing special. I was official stock ZVC. Did root via ioroot then autorec then flashed PA and been using it for a while.