Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,619 Members 52,290 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Get Around

Tip us?
 
marxses
Old
(Last edited by marxses; 3rd July 2014 at 07:32 AM.)
#1  
marxses's Avatar
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Posts: 30
Join Date: Apr 2013
Default Get Around

No doubt most users are happy using the standard capacitive and home keys to navigate their tablet but there are definitely more ways than one to get around and I thought it would be interesting to share our ideas and preferences that make using this (and other) tablet quick and easy.

I read and edit documents a lot so most of the time I prefer to have the tablet in portrait mode. I find the capacitive keys annoying as they are always get touched unintentionally by myself and especially when handing the tablet to someone else when trying to show them something.

So I decided to disable them by editing the generic.kl file in system/user/keylayout and putting an # before keys 139 & 158 then rebooting.

To the replace those keys I use GMD gesture control with some simple and easy to use gestures.

Pretty difficult to show exactly how well this works but first a screenshot showing the gestures paths and action. Dots are the fingers and lines the path they take.



And a video..... I put this together in a hurry so it looks pretty clunky. Recording video over ADB makes it look pretty slow too.



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKCZ7LjAFBE
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to marxses For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
marxses
Old
(Last edited by marxses; 30th June 2014 at 09:03 PM.)
#2  
marxses's Avatar
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Posts: 30
Join Date: Apr 2013
Quick Search and Lux are two other apps that I can highly recommend........ Rotation Lock is just a simple tasker task that uses the Ultimate Rotation app/plugin. Swiping rotation lock simply toggles between auto 0, 90, 180, 270 and swiping again locks in the desired orientation.
 
bdneuman
Old
#3  
Member
Thanks Meter 6
Posts: 52
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by marxses View Post
No doubt most users are happy using the standard capacitive and home keys to navigate their tablet but there are definitely more ways than one to get around and I thought it would be interesting to share our ideas and preferences that make using this (and other) tablet quick and easy.

I read and edit documents a lot so most of the time I prefer to have the tablet in portrait mode. I find the capacitive keys annoying as they are always get touched unintentionally by myself and especially when handing the tablet to someone else when trying to show them something.

So I decided to disable them by editing the generic.kl file in system/user/keylayout and putting an # before keys 139 & 158 then rebooting.

To the replace those keys I use GMD gesture control with some simple and easy to use gestures.

Pretty difficult to show exactly how well this works but first a screenshot showing the gestures paths and action. Dots are the fingers and lines the path they take.



And a video..... I put this together in a hurry so it looks pretty clunky. Recording video over ADB makes it look pretty slow too.

Thanks for this! I LOVE GMD - very snappy and hitting the capacitive buttons while reading was driving me nuts.
 
marxses
Old
(Last edited by marxses; 3rd July 2014 at 07:44 AM.)
#4  
marxses's Avatar
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Posts: 30
Join Date: Apr 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdneuman View Post
Thanks for this! I LOVE GMD - very snappy and hitting the capacitive buttons while reading was driving me nuts.
No probs and yeh GMD is definitely handy.

If anyone is having trouble with the way GMD functions with certain apps or in general tweak some of the advanced and touch consumption settings and you should be able to get it working flawlessly.
 
bdneuman
Old
#5  
Member
Thanks Meter 6
Posts: 52
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by marxses View Post
No probs and yeh GMD is definitely handy.

If anyone is having trouble with the way GMD functions with certain apps or in general tweak some of the advanced and touch consumption settings and you should be able to get it working flawlessly.
Good point - I had to do the screen calibration (super easy) in order to get the swipe from borders to work.

I agree though - I am surprised at how responsive this app is. How have I not been using this!?!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes