Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] No Root Checker Tool (rctd) in 4.4.2 ?

OP Drachenminister

31st March 2014, 01:46 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 66

82 posts
More
Now that root for 4.4.2 is available I rooted and looked into the filesystem and processes and found that there seems to be no more root checker tool in 4.4.2.

ps | grep rctd shows no process with that name
in /persist there is no more rct.cfg
hidden menu (3845#*802#) LG RCT shows LG RCT Check disabled
download mode showed unrooted in 4.2.2. and showes rooted since I flashed the 4.4.2 kdz (d80220b-german-open) with LG Mobile Support Tool

Can anybody confirm these findings? Is there a new root checking mechanism?

Phone is a D802.A6DEWH running D80220b-EUR-XX

follow up with a detailed analysis
Last edited by Drachenminister; 2nd April 2014 at 06:16 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drachenminister For This Useful Post: [ View ]
1st April 2014, 09:21 PM   |  #2  
OP Member

82 posts
More
UPDATE

Another interesting find:

The reason why on 4.4.2 my phone showed ROOTED in download mode was obviously the absence of the root ckecker. To be more specific it was the absence of the two status files:
/persist/rct
/persist/rct.cfg

Luckily a had those saved back from 4.2.2 from an unrooted state and simply copied them over.

And guess what - now my phone shows UNROOTED in download mode though it really isn't.

If needed I can provide those two files. (pm me with your email)

follow up with a detailed analysis
Last edited by Drachenminister; 2nd April 2014 at 06:17 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Drachenminister For This Useful Post: [ View ]
1st April 2014, 09:27 PM   |  #3  
Flag Delhi
Thanks Meter: 747

3,084 posts
More
i have 4.4.2 and it shows rooted in download mode

i used kdz file method

i dont care if it shows rooted or not because i know if i flash kdz file again without root then it will show unrooted.

we purchased this mobile and now its our, so dont want to cry over these stupid things when we can claim back warranty
1st April 2014, 09:41 PM   |  #4  
OP Member

82 posts
More
If it's a 4.2.2 kdz it will, but if it's a 4.4.2 kdz and what I found is correct it won't.

Appart from that, I totally agree @mor_1228
1st April 2014, 09:44 PM   |  #5  
Flag Delhi

3,084 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drachenminister

If it's a 4.2.2 kdz it will, but if it's a 4.4.2 kdz and what I found is correct it won't.

Appart from that, I totally agree @mor_1228

u can try it will show rooted
1st April 2014, 09:48 PM   |  #6  
OP Member

82 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mor_1228

u can try it will show rooted

I'm not sure if I understand exactly what you mean - when will it show rooted?
2nd April 2014, 08:17 AM   |  #7  
Flag Delhi

3,084 posts
More
Quote:

I'm not sure if I understand exactly what you mean - when will it show rooted?

when u flash with kdz file and after factory reset then root ur device and then check
2nd April 2014, 02:24 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 91

319 posts
More
Quote:

UPDATE

Another interesting find:

The reason why on 4.4.2 my phone showed ROOTED in download mode was obviously the absence of the root ckecker. To be more specific it was the absence of the two status files:
/persist/rct
/persist/rct.cfg

Luckily a had those saved back from 4.2.2 from an unrooted state and simply copied them over.

And guess what - now my phone shows UNROOTED in download mode though it really isn't.

If needed I can provide those two files. (pm me with your email)

How to save those files from Unrooted state? I am on 4.4.2 and now it's Unrooted because I went the hard way.
Flashed 4.2.2 did a factory reset and took OTA Kitkat update and finally I have Unrooted in Download mode.

Are those files device specific that is will your files work on my D802?
Last edited by sanke1; 2nd April 2014 at 02:33 PM.
2nd April 2014, 02:42 PM   |  #9  
OP Member

82 posts
More
[CLARIFICATION] and [CONCLUSION]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mor_1228

when u flash with kdz file and after factory reset then root ur device and then check

I still sense a bit missunderstanding, so I try to clarify what I have found on my phone. (D802.A6DEWH)

The phone came with stock 4.2.2 (d80210d-EUR-XX)
Took the OTA to d80210e-EUR-XX (still 4.2.2)
As there was no rooting done whatsoever the phone showed UNROOTED in download mode

then I rooted only the adb shell by copying over the g2_security file from ioroot as described in the manual method.
As this doesn't trip the root checker phone still showed UNROOTED

I investigated the whole root checker tool stuff using that adb root shell and found out, that there's a process called rctd (root checker tool daemon) using two files:
/persist/rct and /persist/rct.cfg

/persist/rct is a binary file containing only 4 bytes:
Code:
40 42 0f 00
/persist/rct.cfg is a text file and in my case contained:
Code:
Not rooted

[g2:0197ec3553924872:4.16]
at this point I made a backup of those two files
then I remounted /system in rw mode knowing that this would probably trip the rct
after that /persist/rct.cfg contained something like
Code:
rooted

21.03.2014 19:56
remounted system read/write

[g2:0197ec3553924872:4.16]
and as expected download mode showed ROOTED

then I copied over a file named rct_security containing "forel.lee" as described here http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...4&postcount=21 and rebooted
After the reboot the rct_security was gone and download mode showed UNROOTED again

After that I upgraded to 4.4.2 by flashing a kdz for some d802 using the R&D Tool offline mode as described in method two here http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2432476

Looking again into download mode it showed ROOTED although it clearly wasn't
I then thought that maybe that was because of the g2_security file still on the phone or maybe the fact that the rom was not made for exactly my device version or the fact that i had used R&D tool.
As I didn't have root then (not even in adb) I could not check the /persist/rct.cfg becaus I couldnt even ls /persist/

So when the update for my phone finally arived in normal LG Support Tool

I first flashed back to 4.2.2 using R&D offline and did a factory reset
download mode showed UNROOTED once more

Then again i updated to 4.4.2 (d80220b-EUR-XX), this time using stock LG Mobile Support tool (as I remember I didn't do a factory restet then)
looking into download mode showed ROOTED like after the first update to KitKat
still without root I couldn't investigate further.

Then root for 4.4.2 arived

Once rooted again I found that at least in my phone there was no process nor binary called "rctd" anymore and also no /persist/rct or /persist/rct.cfg

Then I copied over those two files from my backup from 4.2.2 and after that download mode finally shows UNROOTED once more (despite the fact that this time the phone really is fully rooted)

MY CONCLUSIONS ARE AS FOLLOWS

Download mode only looks into /persist/rct and /persist/rct.cfg and shows ROOTED or UNROOTED acordingly (and ROOTED if the files are missing)

Stock 4.2.2 has rctd so when you flash back a 4.2.2 kdz root is removed and /persist/rct and /persist/rct.cfg get created UNROOTED

Stock 4.4.2 has no rctd (at least when flashed through kdz) and by flashing 4.4.2 kdz /persist/rct and /persist/rct.cfg get erased -> ROOTED because files are missing)

Doing the OTA from 4.2.2 to 4.4.2 maybe just doesent touch the whole /persist partition and therefor leaves those two files the way they where thus stating UNROOTED in 4.4.2 if that has been the case in 4.2.2

If taking the OTA like flashing the kdz too has no rctd then rooting the phone after the OTA should still keep showing UNROOTED in download mode.
Last edited by Drachenminister; 2nd April 2014 at 05:59 PM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Drachenminister For This Useful Post: [ View ]
2nd April 2014, 02:54 PM   |  #10  
OP Member

82 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanke1

How to save those files from Unrooted state? I am on 4.4.2 and now it's Unrooted because I went the hard way.
Flashed 4.2.2 did a factory reset and took OTA Kitkat update and finally I have Unrooted in Download mode.

Are those files device specific that is will your files work on my D802?

I don't really know, there is a number in /persist/rct.cfg that could be related to a serial of some sort,

you would need to copy them when you're on 4.2.2 and you only have rooted adb shell (no full root)

but If I guess correctly doing the OTA like flashing the 4.4.2 kdz does not really have a root checker anymore and so rooting your phone now would still leave you with a download mode saying UNROOTED

read this post for more details http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...57&postcount=9
Last edited by Drachenminister; 2nd April 2014 at 02:58 PM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
4.4.2, kitkat, rct, rctd
Previous Thread Next Thread