[Q] Mic problem during calls
New to this forum. Hope someone can help me out. I've got a new Samsung Galaxy S3 T999 unlocked running Android 4.3, and I've got a problem with the mic. I can hear the other person during calls, but they can't hear me, unless I put my mouth directly over the mic hole and speak into it (so I have to be holding the phone perpendicular to my mouth and speak to the bottom of the phone). Even putting my mouth close to the home button doesn't work; the phone has to be perpendicular to my mouth. I'm getting same issue with Voice recording (ie. no sound recorded unless I put my mouth directly over the mic hole at the bottom), but the phone has no problems picking up audio when I record videos.
Things I've tried that don't work:
- Soft reset, and hard factory reset
- Turning off Motion completely (so proximity sensors everything are blanked out anyway or off)
- Noise reduction is off
- TTY is off
- Turn all sounds off (under Accessibility) is unselected
- Wifi calling is off
- Using speakerphone doesn't work (they can't hear me either)
- No pinky or anything blocking the mic
- I've tried cleaning out the mic hole with a needle but nothing comes out. Not sure if there's a specific way of doing it, but I gently put the needle in and jiggle it about, then withdraw it, but nothing comes out. For reference, I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 that's 2 years old with dust around its mic hole and I have no problems whatsoever with calls on that).
I can't downgrade to any other firmware cos mine is stuck on Android 4.3, and I'm just short of disassembling my phone and seeing if there really is anything physically blocking the mic hole that the needle maybe didn't clear. What I don't get is, if it were really a physical blockage of the mic hole, wouldn't that also affect the audio recording when I take a video? Audio is loud and clear when I record a video and narrate with the phone at half-arm's length from me...
Any help most appreciated!