FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Phone permanently locked to AT&T and need help!

11 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By he.spinal, Junior Member on 14th June 2013, 08:41 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I stupidly wrote down the wrong sim unlock code given to me by ATT on my phone and I guess I entered the wrong code too many times. I called ATT tech support and they said that my phone is locked permanently ATT now.

Is there a fix around this or am I screwed?

Thx

14th June 2013, 09:15 PM |#2  
Quote:
Originally Posted by he.spinal

I stupidly wrote down the wrong sim unlock code given to me by ATT on my phone and I guess I entered the wrong code too many times. I called ATT tech support and they said that my phone is locked permanently ATT now.

Is there a fix around this or am I screwed?

Thx

As far as I know, you are SOL and is locked permanently to ATT, unless theres a way to unlock it via the service menu after a code has been inputted wrong.
14th June 2013, 10:08 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 836

More
Go to Cellunlocker.net and talk to someone in support about getting a code that unlocks your sim-locked status. It's not the code to unlock your phone, it's the code that resets the perma-lock state of the phone.
14th June 2013, 10:34 PM |#4  
OP Junior Member

More
I guess i am SOL i called cell unlocker and they said they dint have the software to do it
14th June 2013, 10:58 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 58

More
Did you try the method listed for unlocking your phone from the service menus - without an unlock code?

I have not seen it explained, but it appears to me that by disabling the SHA256 network lock, you are basically getting rid of the requirement for the unlock code that is cryptographically dependent on the IMEI.

I did it on my AT&T phone and plopped in a T-mo sim and it worked fine:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2285431

I am not responsible for anything you may mess up though.
14th June 2013, 10:59 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 836

More
Quote:

I guess i am SOL i called cell unlocker and they said they dint have the software to do it

You might have one other option that I know of that might work, might not work, or might make things worse. It is the "Free unlock" menu method in the general section. I am assuming you haven't tried it already. Normally I tell people to stay clear of it because of the slim chance it could screw your phone up, but in your case, I'd say it's already screwed up.

Follow the directions and see if restoring your "Golden backup" (NV restore) resets the cell locks on your phone. You can also try thing like turning SHA256 "On", or "Off" and see if it makes a difference. The reason the free unlock method works for some and not others all depends on what info resides in your phones NV backup. For some, it restores full phone functionality without network locks (sim unlocked), for others, it restores exactly what is already on the phone's NV memory (still network locked), and for others, it restores a backup that screws the phone up. There is a slim possibility that if you restore the NV data via the hidden menu, you might restore your phones original sim locked state and then be able to use the code with SHA256ON or maybe Off.

The risk you take if you try it is completely yours.

It might help, it might not help, or it could make it worse. Good luck.
15th June 2013, 12:48 AM |#7  
OP Junior Member

More
Would flashing back to stock rom work? I am still fairly new with android devices coming from iphones so i dont want to mess with it if it has absolutely no chance of working. The phone is still working fine just can't unlock it.

Thx for the suggestions tho
15th June 2013, 01:19 AM |#8  
Recognized Contributor
Minnetonka, MN
Thanks Meter: 5,033

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Would flashing back to stock rom work? I am still fairly new with android devices coming from iphones so i dont want to mess with it if it has absolutely no chance of working. The phone is still working fine just can't unlock it.

Flashing back to stock is not going to cure your problem. You're kind of hosed at this point. Scott's suggestion is probably your best bet, BUT you could end up with no phone working at all. If you can still get phone service I'd leave it as is and give up ever unlocking.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using xda app-developers app

---------- Post added at 07:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:01 PM ----------

TO ANYONE WHO IS FOLLOWING THIS THREAD, PLEASE DON'T DO ANY THING TO YOUR PHONE BECAUSE YOU THINK IT MAY BE COOL. Really know what your doing and why before you do try it. You can really mess up your phone. There a lot of good info in this forum, use it. And take your time, read, study, and read some more.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using xda app-developers app
17th October 2013, 11:00 PM |#9  

More
about permanent unlock!!
hello buddy , did you found any solution for the permanently lock to att? im having the same problem! thanks

Quote:

17th October 2013, 11:30 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 101

More
I wasn't able to unlock my AT&T GS4 via the service menu methods, nor with an unlock code I bought online. I was finally able to unlock it via the USB program at FastGSM. It seemed kind of shady but it worked for me...
15th November 2015, 05:05 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoide_

I wasn't able to unlock my AT&T GS4 via the service menu methods, nor with an unlock code I bought online. I was finally able to unlock it via the USB program at FastGSM. It seemed kind of shady but it worked for me...

Which Version worked for you? Their download page has several but none of them say Fire Phone.
I bought this phone for my mom and sent her the unlock code... but she missed it 5 times.. LOL now it is permanently locked to At&t
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)