XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Need help, my phone died, HTC wants to rip me off

Tip us?

J0ro
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Need help, my phone died, HTC wants to rip me off

Hello, first of all I want to make it clear that my model is HTC One Mini (M4) and I'm posting here because I will get response faster, because m4 forums are pretty dead at the moment. My phone is three months old, so it roughly had like an year and nine months guarantee left. I had rooted my device and flashed CM11-nightly. Suddenly one morning the phone literally died in my hand with no reason at all. I have never dropped it, neither water damage it or something like that. I've tried everything to get it working again, with no luck. I've sent it to service through my carrier. They told me the phone will be sent to Germany (I guess HTC have service center there). I've waited almost a month and finally I got response. They told me that I've rooted and want me to pay 300$ for a new motherboard and I'm not gonna have any warranty left after paying. I've found few posts with almost identical problem, but people state that HTC fixed their devices for free. Here's one post for example: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...5&postcount=13

For me this is ridiculous - it is like getting a new laptop, installing some linux distro on it, because you just don't like WIndows (HTC Sense for my example) and then get billed for faulty hardware. I really need your help folks, as this phone is on leasing and I am still paying it. I really can't afford these 300$ now and I have no guarantee that HTC's own hardware won't fault again and I will have to pay again. I really need an advice how to proceed. Should I try get my phone and try to send it to some other service center again and hoping for a miracle? Do I have any rights after hardware malfunction that I'm not responsible of, even after rooting? Yeah, I'm that desperate.

One thing I am sure of - I am never buying HTC's products again. After buying it had gaps of imperfections, had lights coming out of these gaps ( reference - http://i.imgur.com/4lXWWth.jpg ). They didn't want to swap the device. Now this.

EddyOS
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,051
1. Is there not an RUU you can use to back to stock?
2. Regardless of whether the forum is dead, you've still posted in the wrong place so it will get closed/moved eventually
OnePlus One A0001 (Sandstone Grey) 64GB
ROM: CyanogenMod 11S (XNPH33R) | Bootloader: Stock | Recovery: TWRP 2.8.0.1 | Radio: Stock | Kernel: Franco Kernel r20

Google Nexus 5 D821 (Black) 32GB
ROM: Android 4.4.4 (KTU84P) | Bootloader: HHZ11K | Recovery: Stock | Radio: 2.0.50.1.16 | Kernel: Stock

If you have a question, great - but DO NOT PM ME WITH IT!!! | [GUIDE] Return your EU M8 to 100% Stock (S-OFF Required) | [GUIDE] Return your OPO to 100% Stock

J0ro
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
It's HTC regarding problem, not HTC One in general. No I cannot get back to stock, because phone just can't boot as it's motherboard is dead, like I wrote in the OP.

shrirang44
Old
Thanks Meter 0
How did the came to know u rooted ur phone!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

J0ro
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
I don't know. I knew it was obvious it was a hardware failure when I've sent it and thought that they will just give me a new device.

Andy
Old
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 5,301

DONATE TO ME
Moved to HTC One Mini Q&A.

Devices have their own specific fora for a reason, you might get faster advice, but it may be wrong.
-
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
"Tech support PMs will be ignored" - Andy

LQi
Old
Thanks Meter 17
And again someone with cm11 flashed... i havent found a single person with this problem with a custom sense rom

RuffBuster
Old
Thanks Meter 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by LQi View Post
Could you ask your carrier what exactly caused it and why the motherboard had to be replaced?
If your gonna be charged $300 you have the right to know why and in DETAIL! I'm currently dealing with HTC with another hardware issue. And i've found them to be pretty lazy checking there phones. I've sent my phone in twice now for a faulty usb port. The first time they didn't even look at it and sent it back saying there was nothing wrong with it ...right. The point is they most likely didn't even test it and decided to put the blame on you because they can... As much as I like my phone I don't think i'd go HTC again. You want to get on to your version of trading standards.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2
Daily Driver
Samsung Galaxy S moviNAND
CreedROM v8 JellyBean 4.1.2
6 SEP 2014

Test Phone
Samsung Galaxy S iNAND
Mackay CM9 2014 1.7
21 AUG 2014

AnGrY sCoTsMaN
Old
Thanks Meter 114
@J0ro have a read of this mate... if it will help but http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2666925
Candy Rom | PhilZ Touch Recovery 6.48-4 | HBoot 2.22 | S-OFF | SuperCID | PA PICO Gapps | TBO Apps
The Following User Says Thank You to AnGrY sCoTsMaN For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

RuffBuster
Old
Thanks Meter 119
@Braddison Thanks for info.

Just recieved an email from the HTC repair centre regarding my phone repair, for my loose USB port, and I'm pissed!!!

In the email HTC has said that the loose USB port isn't covered by the warranty and they want to charge me to replace the main board?! 130!!! which I guess is near $300? Absolute bull! How can HTC charge me for USB port becoming loose after only 3 months? The phone should last the 2 years for which I am contracted! The USB/charger port should last the wear of time, or at least my contract!

Soon as I wake tomorrow I ringing them to tell them exactly this, and if they don't listen I'm going straight to Trading Standards. I'm not gonna let them cheat me on this. .....130! 130???? seriously?!

I think this will be my first and last HTC phone EVER!
Daily Driver
Samsung Galaxy S moviNAND
CreedROM v8 JellyBean 4.1.2
6 SEP 2014

Test Phone
Samsung Galaxy S iNAND
Mackay CM9 2014 1.7
21 AUG 2014