Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,501 Members 45,958 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Share reverse tethered via wifi?

Tip us?

DavidTiger
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 41

DONATE TO ME
Default Share reverse tethered via wifi?

Hey, wondering if it would be possible to share the internet connection via wifi from reverse tether?
PC > Android > Wifi Hotspot > Other Device

Basically my 3G internet plan doesn't include tethering so I'm looking for a way to get internet on other devices in the room via wifi...
Though the computer does not have a wifi card so wondering if it would be possible to use the android device as a wifi switch?
I can connect my device to the internet through the PC connection via ADB Reverse USB Tunnel.. But then can I then enable wifi tethering to use that connection to share across the wifi for other devices to connect to and then share the same PC connection?

If its not possible I'm sure I'd be able to install drivers for one of my USB wifi cards, not ideal but if its the only way then I guess I'd have to.

Cheers, Dave
Phone: Sony Xperia S - Unlocked Bootloader
ROM: SlimBean 4.2.2 Weekly.6.5
Kernel: SlimBean Kernel
The Following User Says Thank You to DavidTiger For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

JediNinjafication
Old
Thanks Meter 1186
I also scoured everywhere and only thing i found was an app that allowed phone to use computer internet but don't think it broadcasted like Wi-Fi to other devices. I'll look in my Google play and try to locate it.

*Shaolin Shadowboxing*
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c106/slappin510/JediNinjafication_zps68eeef25.png%5B/IMG%5D

DavidTiger
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 41

DONATE TO ME
I have my phone using the PC connection okay, but was looking to then share that through the phone wifi.. but I guess that wouldn't work.
I have a USB wifi adapter that I can setup to share the connection.
The Following User Says Thank You to DavidTiger For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Reilly1812
Old
Thanks Meter 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTiger View Post
I have my phone using the PC connection okay, but was looking to then share that through the phone wifi.. but I guess that wouldn't work.
I have a USB wifi adapter that I can setup to share the connection.
How is the pc connected to the internet?

Still Charged Up

JediNinjafication
Old
Thanks Meter 1186
Yes. Search reverse tether in play store.

*Shaolin Shadowboxing*
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c106/slappin510/JediNinjafication_zps68eeef25.png%5B/IMG%5D

DavidTiger
Old
(Last edited by DavidTiger; 12th September 2012 at 10:41 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 41

DONATE TO ME
Connected via cable, there's no other connections available hence I was using USB Tethering on my Android phone..
Since there's no wifi available I'm just looking for a way to share it to others and my iPod etc..

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediNinjafication View Post
Yes. Search reverse tether in play store.
I have reverse tethering working fine, Looking to see if it would be possible to then share that via wifi from the device.

Though I guess that would just slow things down and strain the phone a bit. I'll just setup the USB WiFi Adapter to share the connection

CypherDroid
Old
Thanks Meter 1

DONATE TO ME
Phone FOund Anything

HEy am trying to share my reverse tethering connection with another android phone. i successfully connected the android phone pop with my pc internet connection using usb tunnel (Reverse tethering). now i need to use the hotspot function on this phone to share the reverse tethered connection with other phones. IS THAT POSSIBLE ???:confus ed:
The Following User Says Thank You to CypherDroid For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Straw Hat
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Reverse USB Tethered Connection Sharing via wifi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CypherDroid View Post
HEy am trying to share my reverse tethering connection with another android phone. i successfully connected the android phone pop with my pc internet connection using usb tunnel (Reverse tethering). now i need to use the hotspot function on this phone to share the reverse tethered connection with other phones. IS THAT POSSIBLE ???:confus ed:
Hey anyone found something for this issue ???

ankostis
Old
(Last edited by ankostis; 11th February 2014 at 05:01 PM.)
Thanks Meter 1
Default Managed to share reverse-tethered viw wifi-HotSpot!

I have managed to do it (provide access to PC's internet through android's wifi-hotspot) with linux-PC & Cyanogen-11 (hence "rooted") on a GS4 (i9505) with the following script. I had to manually set DNS at the bottom.

Code:
Select Code
## 0.a. Connect android-phone to PC through USB.
## 0.b Enable Settings|...|Tethering 
##  (so that the device gets detected by the PC's kernel, you should see the following with 'dmsg':
##         [    3.976599] rndis_host 1-1:1.0 usb0: register 'rndis_host' at usb-0000:00:0b.0-1, RNDIS device, 4e:d5:8c:7b:4f:5a
## Enable Settings|...|Wifi-Hotspot

## Setup usb reverse-tethering.
#  from: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2287494
#
#  Yours device might be 'rndis0' or something else.  Check by just typing 'netcfg'.
#
netcfg usb0 dhcp
busybox route add default gw 10.42.0.1 dev usb0

## Disable mobile-data.
#
busybox ifconfig rmnet_usb0  0.0.0.0

## Masquerade through USB.
#
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
iptables -t nat -F
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o usb0 -j MASQUERADE
iptables -P FORWARD ACCEPT

## Set DNS (if neccessary).
#
setprop net.dns1 XX.YY.ZZ.WW

Miki800
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankostis View Post
I have managed to do it (provide access to PC's internet through android's wifi-hotspot) with linux-PC & Cyanogen-11 (hence "rooted") on a GS4 (i9505) with the following script. I had to manually set DNS at the bottom.

Code:
Select Code
## 0.a. Connect android-phone to PC through USB.
## 0.b Enable Settings|...|Tethering 
##  (so that the device gets detected by the PC's kernel, you should see the following with 'dmsg':
##         [    3.976599] rndis_host 1-1:1.0 usb0: register 'rndis_host' at usb-0000:00:0b.0-1, RNDIS device, 4e:d5:8c:7b:4f:5a
## Enable Settings|...|Wifi-Hotspot

## Setup usb reverse-tethering.
#  from: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2287494
#
#  Yours device might be 'rndis0' or something else.  Check by just typing 'netcfg'.
#
netcfg usb0 dhcp
busybox route add default gw 10.42.0.1 dev usb0

## Disable mobile-data.
#
busybox ifconfig rmnet_usb0  0.0.0.0

## Masquerade through USB.
#
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
iptables -t nat -F
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o usb0 -j MASQUERADE
iptables -P FORWARD ACCEPT

## Set DNS (if neccessary).
#
setprop net.dns1 XX.YY.ZZ.WW
I have been looking for something like for .. forever, I am truely amazed to have finally find something that hints that it was done
did you really get it to work properly?
I have rooted 2.3 and xp,
if I have busy box installed and I run these via ssh server on my droid, should it work for my setup as well with no changes?

I am really surprised nobody ever made an app that does that automatically, this stuff is so basic and actually super useful and needed!