New Cingular ROM upgrade for Palm Treo 750 (2006-10-21)

Search This thread

pof

Retired Moderator
Mar 18, 2005
Barcelona
pof.eslack.org
Here is the first ROM update for the Palm Treo 750 (HTC Cheetah) from the still unreleased Cingular branded device!

As no one has started a wiki page for this device yet I did it myself, but I am not willing to mantain it as I don't have a Treo, so take this as a call to Treo750 wiki editors :)

Treo750 wiki page on XDA-Developers

Here's the link to the ROM upgrade files on XDA-Developers ftp:

Treo750_Cingular_ROM.zip
(Moderator NOTE: Sorry guys, we had to remove the file from the FTP since we've been told that it violates Palm's Intellectual Property rights.)

Upgrading instructions:

EDIT: Seems that "Step 1" is only a diagnostics image, and is not needed to perform the upgrade, go straight to "Step 2".

Insert the reader w/card into your USB, after the PC recognizes the card right click on the drive letter. Select Format from the options and make sure FAT32 is selected as the file system then select start.

Also, you need to copy the files to the memory card one at a time; DIAG file first and then delete the DIAG prior to loading the IMG file second.

Step 1:

-Copy the ‘CheeDIAG.nbh’ file to the root directory of a miniSD card. Note: Windows Mobile recognizes updates only from FAT32 formatted cards.
-Insert the card into the device.
-Press and hold both the PTTApp Button (lowest button on left side of device) + Pin Reset (next to miniSD card slot). You will be prompted to press the ‘End’ (red power) key to start the update. This step takes only a few seconds to complete. Once the flash is done, you will see: ‘Model ID: Palm Treo 750’ displayed by the device.

Step 2:

-Copy the ‘CHEEIMG.nbh’ file to the root directory of a miniSD card. Note: Windows Mobile recognizes updates only from FAT32 formatted cards.

-Insert the card into the device.
-Press and hold both the PTTApp Button (lowest button on left side of device) + Pin Reset (next to miniSD card slot). You will be prompted to press the ‘End’ (red power) key to start the update. This step takes about 5 minutes to complete.
-Hard reset the device once the device indicates the upgrade has been completed. To hard-reset, hold the ‘End’ (red power) key while pressing the pin reset button. Answer “yes” to “Erase all data” prompt.

Step 3:

Verify the device software via the device <start><settings><system tab><about><phone tab> The device should display firmware version on the resulting screen.

For all those anxious minds who haven't still showed up here, (Treo750 upgrading forum still empty, wtf?!?) I can tell you that the upgrade comes in NBH file format as in the Hermes, and the same tools can be used to extract the ROM parts ;)

Enjoy!
icon6.gif

Last edited:

pof

Retired Moderator
Mar 18, 2005
Barcelona
pof.eslack.org
Dont forget that the 750 (or Knight Rider as Palm call it) doesnt have a Extended ROM :(

From the CHEEIMG.nbh you can extract 5 components:

- SPL (0x200)
- GSM (0x300)
- OS (0x400)
- SplashImage (0x600)
- uP (0x800)

From the CheeDIAG.nbh you can extract only the Diag part (0x500).

Is this a newer rom than the vodafone rom and does it have hsdpa enabled anyone know

It is newer than the Voda rom, build date is Oct 12 2006.

Last edited:
Didn't seem to work for me. I'm stuck at red text at the top of the screen that says '00058002' and below it says 'Loading...' but nothing happens after that.

This was using the first file on a 1 GB card. I formatted it FAT32 and copied only the first file to it.

Mashie

Feb 21, 2005
Didn't seem to work for me. I'm stuck at red text at the top of the screen that says '00058002' and below it says 'Loading...' but nothing happens after that.

This was using the first file on a 1 GB card. I formatted it FAT32 and copied only the first file to it.

So are you stuck with a bricked 750? I just got mine this morning but won't try this update until I see it successfully done a few times :)

sizzlerecords

Sep 27, 2004
Well your right it didnt seem like it was reading, and soft-reset powered on fine, I then copied the actual image file over, and its updating now, looks fine...will post results

sizzlerecords

Sep 27, 2004
card was formatted in FAT32 by the way...Ok, just finished upgrade it worked with no problems OS is running smooth! Hmm, radio seems a lot more powerful with Cingular update

Last edited:

wardy

Jun 8, 2005
Hi I'm in the UK will this upgrade work for me or is it just for Cingular ? I'm with T-Mobile.

pof

Retired Moderator
Mar 18, 2005
Barcelona
pof.eslack.org
What do you mean you copied over the file? How did you end up loading the file if the card wasn't reading like mine?

I don't own a treo750 and I can't test, but from what I've extracted from the upgrade files I can see that the 1st step is only a diagnostics SD card wich is *probably* not needed to perform the update... this means that you can go straight into step 2 of the upgrade process: copy the CHEEIMG.nbh file in the root folder of your FAT32 formated sd-card, this should start the upgrade.

Did it! Worked perfectly. I'm loading up things right now...so far, so good. My firmware went from 1.12.0a.00 to 1.17.20.00

You'll loose your Vodaphone Business theme but get the Cingular ringtone...lol

Goodlink loaded on it just fine. I'm letting it finish syncing all my data again before I shut the phone down to see if there are Cingular splash screens. The beginning tutorial after the hard reset shows a picture of a Cingular manual on the last step talking about reading the docs for more info.

If you're going to do it, like pof said, the first file I guess is a diagnostic. I didn't load that one and just did the actual image.

Mashie

Feb 21, 2005
Did it! Worked perfectly. I'm loading up things right now...so far, so good. My firmware went from 1.12.0a.00 to 1.17.20.00

You'll loose your Vodaphone Business theme but get the Cingular ringtone...lol

Goodlink loaded on it just fine. I'm letting it finish syncing all my data again before I shut the phone down to see if there are Cingular splash screens. The beginning tutorial after the hard reset shows a picture of a Cingular manual on the last step talking about reading the docs for more info.

If you're going to do it, like pof said, the first file I guess is a diagnostic. I didn't load that one and just did the actual image.

Any idea if this rom has HSPDA enabled? Also did you still have the ability to synch the device time to the network time?

hannip

Jun 7, 2006
Can't you use itsutils pdocread to dump your rom? There are a few on the ftp server already.