Happy with your TF700?

Search This thread

nola mike

Aug 8, 2011
Looking for a new tab for ~$200. 2 on my radar are the TF700 and the Galaxy tab 3. All the "official" reviews of the ASUS are great, but a lot of the real world reviews complain that it's sluggish, poor battery life, poor build quality. Don't know if the sluggishness is cured by a new ROM or not. I'm not sure which is faster--hard to compare specs between 2 chip architectures, although the samsung is newer. I don't need a dock. So which would you get?

ikkeT

Aug 22, 2011
TF700 is sluggish even with custom rom. I would not spend my money again on this. After every wifi connect it takes minutes the device responds hardly at all. Some times it takes minutes to wake from sleep. Any app using flash memory blocks the device for the time, e.g. play store updates.

This is even after the custom modders hard work in effort to make it better. I`m on cromix 5.4.

Reactions: HSuke

_that

Recognized Developer / Inactive RC
Oct 2, 2012
TF700 is sluggish even with custom rom.

True. Sometimes. Slow storage cannot be fixed by software workarounds.

After every wifi connect it takes minutes the device responds hardly at all. Some times it takes minutes to wake from sleep.

In my experience, connecting to wifi causes about 3 seconds of lag where the device is unusable. And I become impatient when it takes more than 3 seconds to wake up, because usually it takes 1-2 seconds. All that without any special tweaks and keeping fsync on.

I don't use a lot of apps that run on wake up (like Google Now) though.

Any app using flash memory blocks the device for the time, e.g. play store updates.

True, sometimes. That's why I turn off auto-update.

Reactions: HSuke

ikkeT

Aug 22, 2011
It seems people are able to get the device responsive. The root failure is the known flash issue. I have plenty of apps installed, including the google services. I should really try to find and disable the services that start syncing while waking up and getting internet connection.

But still, comparing to other devices I have, they are cheaper and don`t have the same issues. I was cheated by asus while buying a top of the line price device, and not getting a device worth the money.

On the other hand, you are buying a second hand device, and not paying that much. The best thing about the device is the custom roms and tweaks that sdbags, _that and co. are doing. They keep the device software fresh, and try to tackle the issues. Thanks for that!

Don't buy the Tab series. It's rubbish. Sluggish, laggy and the hardware is something that makes an iPad look high-end.

The TF700 has serious I/O issues (which a few lads here have done a marvellous job of making bearable, provided you're willing to waive your warranty.)

Don't know if you've got some money to spare, but if you're intending to last a few years with a tab, save some more quid and look into the TabPro series.

yohojones

Dec 23, 2010
I have to agree with everyone and avoid the TF700. I have a first gen Samsung Tab 10.1 and even though it's plastic and feels cheap in your hand it runs circles around the TF700.
I upgraded last year to a Note 10.1 (2014) P600. It's been very good imo. The plastic housing turns some people off though.

If you want a cheap quick tablet the Tab 3 might not be a bad choice.

HSuke

Aug 24, 2012
TF700 is sluggish even with custom rom. I would not spend my money again on this. After every wifi connect it takes minutes the device responds hardly at all. Some times it takes minutes to wake from sleep. Any app using flash memory blocks the device for the time, e.g. play store updates.
I bought mine refurbished from a Woot! deal earlier this month. The TF700 is slow as molasses. It probably runs as smoothly as the original Samsung Nexus Galaxy smartphone. Every minute of regular use, it'll hang for a few seconds on some random action.

I have to agree with everyone and avoid the TF700. I have a first gen Samsung Tab 10.1 and even though it's plastic and feels cheap in your hand it runs circles around the TF700.
In hindsight, I probably should've bought that instead. :rolleyes:

ikkeT

Aug 22, 2011
I must take some of my words back. Now I updated to chromix-kk. While at it, I didn't install all the apps I had previously, and disabled some bells and whistles that check things from net while wlan connects. This is way better to use now.

Never the less, still mad at Asus...

nola mike

Aug 8, 2011
I must take some of my words back. Now I updated to chromix-kk. While at it, I didn't install all the apps I had previously, and disabled some bells and whistles that check things from net while wlan connects. This is way better to use now.

Never the less, still mad at Asus...

Thanks for the input. Bought a tf700 from new egg, but they ended up dicking me around and never shipped it. Found a galaxy note 10.1, and am happy enough with it that I haven't bothered rooting/installing a new rom...

bplzip

Sep 4, 2013
Rochester
Very happy now

I bought a TF700 in December 2012 after reading many positive reviews which were obviously written by people who never spent much time actually using one. I suffered though a year of using it with the stock ASUS ROM.
December 2013...out of warrenty...time to be daring...nothing to lose...before buying a Nexus 7, I decided to unlock & install CROMi-X...like night & day...I actually enjoyed using my TF700... don't need a Nexus 7 anymore.
Spring 2014...tried CROMBi-KK on ROM2SD...liked KitKat...CROMBi-KK got better with every new release...very stable now.
September 2014...tried f2fs format for data partition...even better!!!
Like I said...VERY happy NOW...sbdags and crew are miracle workers...their efforts made it possible to transform a device that I was ready to trash into a device that I use throughout the day and is a pleasure to use.

If you're stuck with a TF700 on stock ASUS, give CROMBi-KK or ZOMBi-X a try...they're still under development, so I think the best is yet to come:D

lj50036

Feb 14, 2013
FUXDA
I bought a TF700 in December 2012 after reading many positive reviews which were obviously written by people who never spent much time actually using one. I suffered though a year of using it with the stock ASUS ROM.
December 2013...out of warrenty...time to be daring...nothing to lose...before buying a Nexus 7, I decided to unlock & install CROMi-X...like night & day...I actually enjoyed using my TF700... don't need a Nexus 7 anymore.
Spring 2014...tried CROMBi-KK on ROM2SD...liked KitKat...CROMBi-KK got better with every new release...very stable now.
Like I said...VERY happy NOW...sbdags and crew are miracle workers...their efforts made it possible to transform a device that I was ready to trash into a device that I use throughout the day and is a pleasure to use.

If you're stuck with a TF700 on stock ASUS, give CROMBi-KK or ZOMBi-X a try...they're still under development, so I think the best is yet to come:D

WOW.. :D

So much love for crombi zombi cromi :good: check this out team ...

@sbdags @hardslog @_that

So much love for our many hours spent.... :p

Thx Josh

Mordred69

Jun 20, 2011
San Juan, PR
www.hammedsilva.com
I really am not happy with mine. I was happy with Cromi-x but started to get laggy out of the blue. Currently trying Zombi and Cromi, see which one is better for this piece of junk.

Thanks for the hard work!:good:

Abisoxth

Jan 27, 2010
Very Unhappy

Happy?? NOT AT ALL, this was a waste of money, what a piece of crap. Design is good, is aluminum, nothing really fancy, I don't care if a product is made out of plastic if runs smoothly. Is VERY sluggish overall, but... playing games is perfect, the Tegra4 shines in that area. So.. if you want to waste your money in junk, go for it and buy a TF700.

berndblb

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 22, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Happy?? NOT AT ALL, this was a waste of money, what a piece of crap. Design is good, is aluminum, nothing really fancy, I don't care if a product is made out of plastic if runs smoothly. Is VERY sluggish overall, but... playing games is perfect, the Tegra4 shines in that area. So.. if you want to waste your money in junk, go for it and buy a TF700.
Ahhh, don't wanna rain on your parade, but the TF700 has the Tegra 3...
Try a custom rom - makes a hell of a difference!

Reactions: Ozark_8125

shonkin

Oct 15, 2012
Happy? Overall, yes.

I bought my 2012 TF700, with keyboard dock, for 230 bucks off ebay just about two months ago. I like my hardware older, cuz it means I can afford it. Could have gotten one even cheaper, but this guy had really cared for his -- had the original packing materials, manuals, and the whole nine yards. Since I had a tF101 with Timduru's superb ROM (KatKiss), I'd been to the ROM flashing rodeo before. And immediately I went for Crombi-KK, Zombi-X, Crombi-KK again and so on. Two big snags up to that point... Chrome browser just dogged it sometimes, suddenly and without wraning. And the whole thing seemed -- sigh -- laggy some times.

Enter in the ROM2SD / DATA2SD options via sdbags _that and the crazy ROM roasting crew. The tablet went from slow to medium to very fast. I monkeyed with varioius settings in the cpu profiles as well. I went for f2fs format on the data partition. In short, I made it a hobby to get this baby working smoothly and well. And ya know what? I'm about 90 percent or better there. Chrome, I must say, does NOT impress me as a browser. The best one? That little funky android browser that doesn't get much love yet is packed in with the operating system. I also suspect the gmail app of being a major player in slowing my system down sometimes. But overall, as a user who really wants to use this baby as a productive laptop and not as much a gaming tablet, I am finding it quite nice indeed. If I'd had more money, I'd have gone for the TF701. But for 230 bucks plus 30 more for a 64 gig micro-sd card of quality to use via data2rom, this baby is nearly a third to even one half faster than it was before.

Hacker mentality? You can have a lot of fun with this tab. But if you want things to work right out of the box, better go for a TF701 or (gag!) even a Winduhs tablet. But don''t get me started on my loathing of win 8.1....

Blessings. Happy (almost) all the time w/ my Asus Transformer TF700. Now, if only I could turn that annoying mouse pad off!

:victory:

agentkalaw

Jul 22, 2009
Short answer is yes.

But it depends on why I chose to get a tablet in the first place. I really have no need for a tablet. My phone was giving me everything I needed for anything mobile and my laptop was perfect for daily computing. I recently needed to read massive amounts of PDF books and although my laptop was available, I realized a tablet would help me out a lot. So I knew I needed a screen with good resolution. I was about to buy a generic tablet that for the bill for 100 but soon realized that there wasn't much development for these generic tablets. I found the tf700 had an awesome screen resolution and big development support. I got it for 150 refurbished and I can't find a better deal considering the tablet's screen resolution.

TBH I think that there are better buys out there if you want a tablet that will be quick, will have future support, will be used with all the bells and whistles of android. But for my needs I can't find a tablet that's running a very stable kk ROM with this resolution for 150. I'll probably sell it next year for 100 bucks? Not bad depreciatio

brit_ped

Sep 28, 2012
Copenhagen

My experience is much the same as yours. I found myself rarely using my tf700 because of its sluggishness, and when one evening I needed it for a simple skype call and it wouldn't perform, I decided it was either the bin or try to do my first ever unlock, install twrp and crombi-kk. I went for the latter. Everything went smoothly, and I now have a tablet that actually works, and even works quite smoothly. Thanks to sbdags &Co.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

"Making the TF700 suck less since 2012". :)

( however, currently working on making TWRP suck less :))
    Very happy now

WOW.. :D

So much love for crombi zombi cromi :good: check this out team ...

@sbdags @hardslog @_that

Thx Josh

This is even after the custom modders hard work in effort to make it better. I`m on cromix 5.4.
    TF700 is sluggish even with custom rom.

True. Sometimes. Slow storage cannot be fixed by software workarounds.

After every wifi connect it takes minutes the device responds hardly at all. Some times it takes minutes to wake from sleep.

In my experience, connecting to wifi causes about 3 seconds of lag where the device is unusable. And I become impatient when it takes more than 3 seconds to wake up, because usually it takes 1-2 seconds. All that without any special tweaks and keeping fsync on.

I don't use a lot of apps that run on wake up (like Google Now) though.

Any app using flash memory blocks the device for the time, e.g. play store updates.

True, sometimes. That's why I turn off auto-update.