Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,779,227 Members 47,121 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Widcomm stack for Hermes development thread

Tip us?

adisor19
Old
(Last edited by adisor19; 6th December 2006 at 12:54 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Exclamation Widcomm stack for Hermes development thread

Hellow all, as noticed in the thread

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=284329

we have pledged to ghather some 500$ and give it to some developer/hacker that is willing to port for us the latest version of the Widcomm stack for the Hermes. The reason for this is basically that the MS one simply has way too many bugs and lacks a lot of functionality.

I have contacted mikelspikel from aximsite and he agreed to try and help us. This will be the thread where we will discuss the porting efforts.

I will begin by posting mikelspikel's message :

"Hi!

I'd be delighted if I could help you but it's very difficult without having a device to test. I can give you some guidelines for you to test. You'll need a registry editor such as Resco Explorer registry add-in.

The package we built is completely oriented to the X50 / X51, but maybe it can be adapted to work with other devices easily, so I'd start installing our package. But be careful! Do it only if you don't mind having to hard-reset your device! You'll probaly need to.

The first thing we must make work is the communication between the main processor and the BT chip. This is done through a serial port. In the Axim, this port in COM5 and it's referenced in the registry in [HKLM\Drivers\BuitIn\BTUart]. This driver can be different in other devices, but usually it isn't difficult to figure it out from a [HKLM\Drivers\BuitIn\] branch registry dump (you can send me a dump of this branch if you want me to have it a look). Once we have the correct COM port, we have to modify [HKLM\Software\Widcomm\BTConfig\SerialTransport]. In Axim, as the BT port is COM5, we have to set Device=COM and Port=5.

The BT chip of our device defaults to a baudrate of 115200 bps, so we set BaudRate=115200. With ShiftSpeed and ShiftCommand we increase the port speed after connecting at 115200. In order to test safely in your device, i'd delete or rename these two keys and i'd keep BaudRate at 115200.

These two settings (COM port and BaudRate) are the two that use to make the stack startup fail with the out of memory message.

Other keys key I'd change at the beginning of the test process are, in [HKLM\Software\Widcomm\BTConfig\General], I'd delete or rename RadioInitLibrary and RadioInitPostLoadScript.

It's important to know that there's a log where we can find sometimes useful information about what's going on. This log is located in registry too, in [HKLM\Software\Widcomm\BTConfig\Debug\Log].

I think this is enough to start the tests. Let me know your results or any question you have. I'll try to do my best to help you. You can use my email if you prefer (*******@gmail.com).

Greetings,

Mikel"

I edited the e-mail as i rahter we post all our findings in this thread in order to avoid spamming him

So whoever feels brave enough to do some testing, go right ahead. I'm unfortunetly still busy these days but i'll be dropping by from time to time to hopfully post my findings.

Once again a BIG BIG thank you to mikelspikel for helping us and let the testing BEGIN!

Adi

superdave
Old
Thanks Meter 91

DONATE TO ME
I'm making some pretty good progress here.
I have the existing stack disabled and the widcomm stack enabled and discovery works fine.

I have the following profiles tested so far.

A2DP - works very good, much better then the ms stack.
Active Sync - works good.
File Transfer- works good.
Serial - works good.

These are just the ones I have tested so far, others probably work fine too. The main issue right now is the headset profile is not working. That is what I am focusing on. Once that is done I will just have to put a cab together.

,Dave

adisor19
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdave View Post
I have the existing stack disabled and the widcomm stack enabled and discovery works fine.

Serial - works good.

These are just the ones I have tested so far, others probably work fine too. The main issue right now is the headset profile is not working. That is what I am focusing on. Once that is done I will just have to put a cab together.

,Dave
Cool, what version of the stack are you testing ?

Also, you can download the Widcomm for Win CE (aka mobile) SDK and tools at http://www.broadcom.com/products/bluetooth_sdk.php for free.(registration required)

Adi

jasjamming
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Let the hacking begin...... mwuahahahahahahahahahahahaaaa.

Ok, im getting ahead of myself now but this is good news thus far.
HTC Touch HD (BLAC120)
HSPL1.56 OliNex
ROM: Black Martini v1.1 (its quicker than my Focus ST 300+ HP)

superdave
Old
Thanks Meter 91

DONATE TO ME
I am using 1.7, the same as the axim version.

,Dave

Arktronic
Old
Retired Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 55

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasjamming View Post
this is good news thus far.
Good? I'd say it's great! And I don't even have a TyTN yet.
Phones: Nokia 6800 Typhoon (SMT5600) ► Hermes (TyTN) ► Raphael (Fuze) ► Samsung Focus Flash + Lumia 710
Tablets: B&N NOOKcolor
Tweet @Arktronic

Want to ping or do DNS and WHOIS lookups on WP7? Get my Network Suite app! Want to have self-updating code in your own WP7 apps? Check out LiveLibs.

"Ну, чумадан, погоди!"

El_Mar1ach1
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdave View Post

Serial - works good.

,Dave
Is it possible to enable and disable Wdcomm bluetooth from commManager?
And it supports PAN profile, doesn't it?

luminus
Old
Thanks Meter 15
great, looking forward in the progress of this hack.

mikelspikel
Old
Thanks Meter 40
Hi!

Glad of the progress so far! Superdave, are you interested in sharing your settings/progress?

In the Axim, one of the most difficult tasks was making HFP and HSP work. They need some vendor specific HCI commands to be sent to the BT chip (Texas Instruments BRF6150 in the Axim). Does anybody know which is the BT chip in the Hermes? Maybe we can get some info about HSP/HFP from the documentation of that chip.

BTW, Dave, have you tested BT and WiFi toghether? Does it work? That was another problem we found in the Axim. It requires some vendor specific commands too.

Sleuth255
Old
Retired Senior Moderator
Thanks Meter 39
The Hermes uses the same BRF6150 chip.

ROM: rooted/deodexed 4.1.1 (JRO03O)
Kernel: Franco Dailies: r295
Baseband: FF02/FG02
Follow my Ramblings: blog.kwilcox.org