Widcomm stack for Hermes development thread
Hellow all, as noticed in the thread
we have pledged to ghather some 500$ and give it to some developer/hacker that is willing to port for us the latest version of the Widcomm stack for the Hermes. The reason for this is basically that the MS one simply has way too many bugs and lacks a lot of functionality.
I have contacted mikelspikel from aximsite and he agreed to try and help us. This will be the thread where we will discuss the porting efforts.
I will begin by posting mikelspikel's message :
I'd be delighted if I could help you but it's very difficult without having a device to test. I can give you some guidelines for you to test. You'll need a registry editor such as Resco Explorer registry add-in.
The package we built is completely oriented to the X50 / X51, but maybe it can be adapted to work with other devices easily, so I'd start installing our package. But be careful! Do it only if you don't mind having to hard-reset your device! You'll probaly need to.
The first thing we must make work is the communication between the main processor and the BT chip. This is done through a serial port. In the Axim, this port in COM5 and it's referenced in the registry in [HKLM\Drivers\BuitIn\BTUart]. This driver can be different in other devices, but usually it isn't difficult to figure it out from a [HKLM\Drivers\BuitIn\] branch registry dump (you can send me a dump of this branch if you want me to have it a look). Once we have the correct COM port, we have to modify [HKLM\Software\Widcomm\BTConfig\SerialTransport]. In Axim, as the BT port is COM5, we have to set Device=COM and Port=5.
The BT chip of our device defaults to a baudrate of 115200 bps, so we set BaudRate=115200. With ShiftSpeed and ShiftCommand we increase the port speed after connecting at 115200. In order to test safely in your device, i'd delete or rename these two keys and i'd keep BaudRate at 115200.
These two settings (COM port and BaudRate) are the two that use to make the stack startup fail with the out of memory message.
Other keys key I'd change at the beginning of the test process are, in [HKLM\Software\Widcomm\BTConfig\General], I'd delete or rename RadioInitLibrary and RadioInitPostLoadScript.
It's important to know that there's a log where we can find sometimes useful information about what's going on. This log is located in registry too, in [HKLM\Software\Widcomm\BTConfig\Debug\Log].
I think this is enough to start the tests. Let me know your results or any question you have. I'll try to do my best to help you. You can use my email if you prefer (*******@gmail.com).
I edited the e-mail as i rahter we post all our findings in this thread in order to avoid spamming him
So whoever feels brave enough to do some testing, go right ahead. I'm unfortunetly still busy these days but i'll be dropping by from time to time to hopfully post my findings.
Once again a BIG BIG thank you to mikelspikel for helping us and let the testing BEGIN!