MultiROM Once Again Available for the Galaxy S4

Multiboot, or the ability to select betweenmultiple operating systems on a single device at … more

Build an Impractical But Awesome Lego Mindstorm Dock

The vast majority of what we cover here on the XDA-Developers News Portal relates to … more

MultiROM Makes its Way Over to the HTC One (M8)

While browsing our forum, you will undoubtedly find more than a few enticing ROMs available … more

Welcome to the New XDA-Developers Portal!

You may recall that a few weeks ago, we opened up the XDA-2015 forum themesto intrepid users … more

Micro SD not recognised on insertion!!!

13th December 2006, 03:29 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

3 posts
Hi All,

Wonder if this is common or should I return the unit now. Had my Dopod 838 Pro for a week now. Great phone/PDA but since new, it does not always recognise a Micro SD card at first insertion. Tried 1x512 Sandisk and 2x1gb Ultra II cards with same issue. Phone has latest ROM from factory, 1.03.707.4. The insertion seems "clunky" too, that is, it doesn't go in smoothly like regular SD and Mini SD devices I have got.

What I have noticed is that if I only insert just enough to lock the card in it seems okay, but if I push it firmly home, it is more likely to remain unrecognised.

In every case, once recognised, it runs, saves, reads from the card flawlessly so it does seem like this is a hardware issue. But if all the Hermes phones are similar, it may be just one of those characteristics of the phone and nothing too much to worry about. Just like to know so I can relax or act as the case may be.

Thanks for any feedback guys...

John
13th December 2006, 09:22 AM   |  #2  
london

7 posts
Yes, I have found a similar issue. If I remove and re-insert the card a few times it eventually gets noticed.

It's the only glitch I have had on the device after 3 flawless months
13th December 2006, 10:22 AM   |  #3  
Forum Administrator
Thanks Meter: 3,762

11,346 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkD

Yes, I have found a similar issue. If I remove and re-insert the card a few times it eventually gets noticed.

It's the only glitch I have had on the device after 3 flawless months

Quite a few seem to take a few goes before recognised but usually seem to work fine once recognised.

Might be a bit concerned about jpfe8851's clunky slot and if it seems to go past the normal stopping point - Have not seen reports about this and mine does not do this.

Mike
13th December 2006, 11:16 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 1

194 posts
I've noticed that it works everytime for me if I insert the card with the device turned off.

Martin
13th December 2006, 11:29 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 2

86 posts
If you use your camera application to save the pictures on a memorycard, try to run the camera after inserting the card if it doesn't detect it. The camera app. then informs you that there's a new memcard inserted and do you wanna use it to save the files on.

Not so much of an hasle, considering how often you really remove/insert memory cards and the hermes has the camera button just opposite to card slot. And the application doesn't stay on the process list if you close it from the X (cross on upper right corner). The OK button doesn't completely close the application.
13th December 2006, 04:07 PM   |  #6  
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 221

2,187 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inc

I've noticed that it works everytime for me if I insert the card with the device turned off.

Martin

Same with me I turn it off to remove and then turn it off to insert and it will pick up the card
13th December 2006, 04:37 PM   |  #7  
Forum Administrator
Thanks Meter: 3,762

11,346 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2whisper

Same with me I turn it off to remove and then turn it off to insert and it will pick up the card

This sounds like good practice and I'm sure for most folks this works. I think though there some people that struggle to get Hermes to recognise the card even when inserting it when off. Generally it does recognise it in the end but there could be a few reasons for these issues (formatting, fragmentation, poor physical contact and so on).

I think your advice is good though and should become routine whenever the card is removed/inserted.

Mike
13th December 2006, 06:27 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 7

158 posts
More
I've used a 1GB PQI, a 2GB normal Sandisk, and a 2GB Sandisk Ultra, and all have worked fine. Except one of the 2GB doesn't like my card reader
13th December 2006, 10:34 PM   |  #9  

43 posts
i found formatting the card help. Originally it would only be detected if the phone was turned off.

Unfortunately I didn't have a card reader, so used an adapter to format it in my digital camera and have no idea how it formatted it. But it now works everytime without fail!
14th December 2006, 02:08 AM   |  #10  
OP Junior Member

3 posts
Wink
Thanks Guys...

Sounds like this is fairly common. I've found even since I posted the original question, that provided I just push the card until it clicks, it starts up every time. With my old Axim x50v and Atom, I had to really push the SD cards as far as possible to engage the lock whereas the Dopod clicks just after the edge of the card is past flush. Gently does it seems the rule.

Mike, I appreciate your concern but the clunkiness I think is more related to the card design, having the bumps along one side, than the slot. Also, these things are all rated as hot swappable, so we should all not have to turn off just to change a card. I don't change cards that often, but when I travel, I swap cards a bit as I take a couple cards with music on to listen to while flying.

For all with the issue, I suggest you do as I said in the first paragraph as that seems to be the clue, just press the card until you feel it engage the lock and see what happens.

Thanks all for your feedback. I'll carry on without a visit to service as the phone is terrific and the keyboard (my reason to replace the Atom) is superb.

Best regards,

John

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread