[TOOL] Vox Remover

Search This thread

bgiesing

Team Voxive Presents: Vox Remover [DISCONTINUED]

[CROSS-POSTED from old Voxive GApps thread, some doesn't apply]
Long time no see, huh? Well, contrary to the Post title, I am back but it's different now! Why?

THESE GApps ARE NOW APART OF Open GApps!
I wanted to cover a few things about this package real quick though!

First, the source code has been moved and updated (the old actually was missing the newer releases!) onto GitLab. One note though is that the APKs themselves are managed using Git-Annex, so you will need that to "complete" your repo. Find the source code here: http://gitlab.com/TeamVoxive/vox_gapps/

Second, Open GApps includes a AROMA version too that will be easy for you guys to migrate over to!

Third, my other project, Vox Remover is on hiatus as it is semi-replaced by Open GApps as not only it includes more removals than the original PA/TK Gapps these were based on but it also includes the ability to remove ANY app (have to configure in config file).

Lastly, I want to mention my "other" project that I am still working on. Vox Variety is a 24-hour variety station playing a lot unique stuff!

You can find Open GApps at http://opengapps.github.io/opengapps/ with daily, auto-generated builds for 4.4x to 5.1x on arm(64) and x86(_64) with a ton of variants!

OLD OP BELOW!
Vox Remover, based on PA GApps Remover by @TKruzze, is a flashable script for rooted Android devices that allow you to remove some bloatware that may come with your ROM.

To use, just flash after your ROM of choice! It will walk you through making the file and it will then remove them. Finally, the Addon.d script will keep them removed across updates without a reflash!

REMOVABLE ITEMS
To see the list of items you can remove, visit this page on our GitHub Wiki.

DOWNLOAD AND FLASH
You will find detailed instructions how to flash and download links on this page on our GitHub Wiki.

SOURCE CODE
View the Source Code on GitHub! If you want to contribute, feel free!

CREDITS
@TKruzze for making the original PA GApps Remover
@Kiray1982 for the code to run the shell script remover inside the AROMA installer.​

XDA:DevDB Information
Vox Remover, Tool/Utility for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
dotmaniac
Source Code: https://github.com/TeamVoxive/vox_remover

Version Information
Current Stable Version: v5
Stable Release Date: 2014-12-26
Current Beta Version: v6.0.1
Beta Release Date: 2015-04-23

Created 2014-09-07
Last Updated 2015-06-27

bgiesing

CHANGELOG

Changelog
v5.1
Added CM AudioFX under the existing DSP option.
v5
Version Merge
The Major change in v5 is the fact that Lollipop and KitKat versions are no longer separate. This changes a few things behind the scenes but only one thing up front: A new Version selector dialog that let's you select KitKat or Lollipop! MAKE SURE YOU CHOOSE THE CORRECT ONE OR IT WON'T REMOVE!!

New Apps
I have added a couple of new apps also!
  • Euphoria Wallpapers
  • CyanogenMod's Eleven Music Player

These apps are most likely lollipop only but if you find a KitKat ROM with them, you should be able to remove them!

Other Fixes
  • Fixed Sorting of CyanogenMod and Other ROM items to be Alphabetical.
  • Spaces to TABS

NOTE
This is early days for the Mixed Installer and I need all the testing I can get! Please report your issues!

v4-kitkat and v2-lollipop
With v2, you can now restore from the config file so you don't have to edit it every time you flash!

Simply choose RESTORE when you flash to jump straight to the installer.
Want to edit your choices? Tap DON'T RESTORE and you will be greeted with the classic installer!

v3.3.1-kitkat and v1.1.1-lollipop
FIXES BUG IN v3.3-kitkat and v1.1-lollipop, see changelog below!

20141122 releases: v3.1/v3.2-kitkat/v3.3-kitkat and v1-lollipop/v1.1-lollipop
LOLLIPOP VERSION STILL NEEDS TESTING! PLEASE HELP!
NEW FEATURES
  • All versions
    Thanks to a request on XDA, I have added support to remove the Boot Animation. Just select the new option and it will remove the animation, defaulting you back to the one built into the code.
  • v3.2+ and both Lollipop versions
    Also, you can now separately remove Exchange Services so you can still use Exchange accounts in Gmail!
  • v3.3 and v1.1-lollipop versions
    Finally, you can remove AOSPA's Lightbulb/Torch App.
BUGS
    Fixed Git messing up EOL which made development tricky, didn't impact end users.
  • All versions
    Wouldn't flash in some recoveries like the MultiROM one because it didn't have an updater script file. I added a dummy file and now it works.
  • All versions
    When I based this project off of the PA GApps Easy Config script I was working on, I accidentally left some items in the config script named "aosp_prop" instead of "gapps_prop". To make it easier, I renamed both to just "prop".

CLEAN UP
All versions
I did some misc. cleanup including:
  • Changing the author name to my new username: "bgiesing"
  • In config script, fixed leftover PA GApps config name and replaced with Vox Remover.
  • In the Install Script, I removed some extra headers and the part that looks for your text file as it is always in the same place now.

v3
  • AROMA Installer: The zip is now using AROMA! That means that you can use a simple click interface to config your choices.
  • One ZIP! I figured out how to run the current script from AROMA and show output which means you don't need two ZIPs! Flash one for everything!
  • Added a request: PhotoPhase Live Wallpaper
  • Combined: Development and SpareParts into one entry as if you are going to remove one, you are most likely going to remove the other.
  • Fixed: Addon.d Script! In the older releases, there were two problems with the script. The first was the ZIP not installing it on your device which means it can't work at all. The second is that even if you copied over the script manually, the items to restore were in the "restore" section and not "pre-restore" and this caused things like AOSPA's script to not restore completely!
v2
  • Fix SlimIRC and PAC-Man apps not removing
  • First Public release
v1
  • BETA Release, Initial Release

Last edited:

Rickav

Feb 15, 2013
Sco'land
Samsung Galaxy A70
No instructions on how to install/flash? I understand you based your work on TKRuzze's GApps Remover but it might be wise to add instruction in your original post as to how and when to flash your zip and/or would it conflict with TKRuzze's and the likes of those kind of questions.

So far, I'm liking this project.

bgiesing

No instructions on how to install/flash? I understand you based your work on TKRuzze's GApps Remover but it might be wise to add instruction in your original post as to how and when to flash your zip and/or would it conflict with TKRuzze's and the likes of those kind of questions.

So far, I'm liking this project.
There is instructions, it tells you how to make the text file and to flash, if you don't know how to flash, then you shouldn't be using custom ROMs!

As for possible conflicts, they both supplement each other, one removes GApps and the other removes stock apps! They are safe to use together!

Reactions: jbrantley130

splokow

Jan 13, 2013
If I didn't know how to flash, I couldn't use a custom ROM in the first place.

In any case, I must have missed the the "when to flash" bit in your OP and, on that front, this project looks even more promising.

I agree with you, the OP didn't mentioned where we have to put the file etc...
For beginners (like me) it's not as easy as it could be for experienced people.
Please give us some advice ;)

Sent from my One

bgiesing

I agree with you, the OP didn't mentioned where we have to put the file etc...
For beginners (like me) it's not as easy as it could be for experienced people.
Please give us some advice ;)

Sent from my One
Read again:
To use, make a text file named ".vox-remove", put it in the same folder as the ZIP or the /sdcard root, and put a keyword from the list below. The file should have no extension. Remove anything in BOLD. After making the file, flash normally anytime after flashing the ROM (before or after GApps, kernel, etc.)

bgiesing

Okay guys, here is a little bit of a news update!

I am still working on this, I just need a suggestion on apps that you guys want removed!

Secondly, I am in contact with @osm0sis to make an AROMA zip that will create a file for the new AOSPA shell GApps! This will save people the trouble of figuring out how to correctly make the text file. Hopefully, I can also make one for the remover!

bgiesing

I just released an AROMA zip to make the text file for PA GApps remover, I am going to try to have one up for Vox remover eventually!

Me, @hlxanthus, and @osm0sis have been working on an easy config tool for making the .gapps-remove (soon .gapps-config) file. @hlxanthus has already posted a few versions and now here is the next step.

Download pa_gapps_config-20140916b.zip

Compared to his versions, the interface is completely slimmed down and the ZIP is smaller. How? Well, I used my base which is categorized and has a better file structure. The ZIP is smaller thanks to a few things: One includes less words in script files. An example is resread instead of zipread. This allows you to not have to enter the full file path. Secondly, he added a Splash image and I ran it through a PNG compressor. Before it was 520 KB and is now 130 KB. Third, my base doesn't include extra themes and icons that make up most AROMA zips.

Thanks to @osm0sis and @hlxanthus for ideas, shell help, and AROMA help. Specifically @hlxanthus for the backup code and verification screens. Also @osm0sis for the grep -w flag hint and help for other projects I have done.

Reactions: vanwoudt and motisu

zakaziky

May 20, 2012
Suggestion

Okay guys, here is a little bit of a news update!

I am still working on this, I just need a suggestion on apps that you guys want removed!

Secondly, I am in contact with @osm0sis to make an AROMA zip that will create a file for the new AOSPA shell GApps! This will save people the trouble of figuring out how to correctly make the text file. Hopefully, I can also make one for the remover!

1. Thank You!

2. Can you add the following Apps?

Cell Broadcast
CM Account
CM Video Editor
CM Home

3. What is the difference between (Development Extra dev tools & SpareParts Extra dev tools) ?

Thanks Again!

bgiesing

1. Thank You!

2. Can you add the following Apps?

Cell Broadcast
CM Account
CM Video Editor
CM Home

3. What is the difference between (Development Extra dev tools & SpareParts Extra dev tools) ?

Thanks Again!

CM Home, Cell Broadcast, and CM account are essential for device use, aka if you remove them, your device won't work.

There is no such thing as the CM Video Editor... The video editor included in CM is the AOSP Movie Studio.

Also, Spare parts and Development are two separate apps. They both are advanced tools for app development.

Reactions: zakaziky

PunchUp

Sep 18, 2013
- Exchange services
- AOSP keyboard (?)
- Camera
- Black hole, Sun beam, Bubble

(Do basic live wallpapers include Nexus and Spectrum?)

Last edited:

bgiesing

- Exchange services
- AOSP keyboard (?)
- Camera
- Black hole, Sun beam, Bubble

(Do basic live wallpapers include Nexus and Spectrum?)

Exchange services are there.

The keyboard we don't allow to remove because if you don't install a keyboard, you will be unable to type!

Camera I'll have to think about.

The live wallpapers are there, they just may have different names. Black hole is actually called Galaxy4.

Basic live wallpapers (I think) include Nexus. Spectrum is a part of Visualization Wallpapers.

Reactions: PunchUp

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Team Voxive Presents: Vox Remover [DISCONTINUED]

[CROSS-POSTED from old Voxive GApps thread, some doesn't apply]
    Long time no see, huh? Well, contrary to the Post title, I am back but it's different now! Why?

THESE GApps ARE NOW APART OF Open GApps!
    I wanted to cover a few things about this package real quick though!

First, the source code has been moved and updated (the old actually was missing the newer releases!) onto GitLab. One note though is that the APKs themselves are managed using Git-Annex, so you will need that to "complete" your repo. Find the source code here: http://gitlab.com/TeamVoxive/vox_gapps/

Second, Open GApps includes a AROMA version too that will be easy for you guys to migrate over to!

Third, my other project, Vox Remover is on hiatus as it is semi-replaced by Open GApps as not only it includes more removals than the original PA/TK Gapps these were based on but it also includes the ability to remove ANY app (have to configure in config file).

Lastly, I want to mention my "other" project that I am still working on. Vox Variety is a 24-hour variety station playing a lot unique stuff!

You can find Open GApps at http://opengapps.github.io/opengapps/ with daily, auto-generated builds for 4.4x to 5.1x on arm(64) and x86(_64) with a ton of variants!

OLD OP BELOW!
    Vox Remover, based on PA GApps Remover by @TKruzze, is a flashable script for rooted Android devices that allow you to remove some bloatware that may come with your ROM.

To use, just flash after your ROM of choice! It will walk you through making the file and it will then remove them. Finally, the Addon.d script will keep them removed across updates without a reflash!

REMOVABLE ITEMS
    To see the list of items you can remove, visit this page on our GitHub Wiki.

DOWNLOAD AND FLASH
    You will find detailed instructions how to flash and download links on this page on our GitHub Wiki.

SOURCE CODE
    View the Source Code on GitHub! If you want to contribute, feel free!

CREDITS
    @TKruzze for making the original PA GApps Remover
    @Kiray1982 for the code to run the shell script remover inside the AROMA installer.​

XDA:DevDB Information
    Vox Remover, Tool/Utility for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
    dotmaniac
    Source Code: https://github.com/TeamVoxive/vox_remover

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: v5
    Stable Release Date: 2014-12-26
    Current Beta Version: v6.0.1
    Beta Release Date: 2015-04-23

Created 2014-09-07
    Last Updated 2015-06-27
    v3.3-kitkat and v1.1-lollipop

v3.3.1-kitkat and v1.1.1-lollipop - Boot Animation Removal, Separate Exchange Services, Remove AOSPA Lightbulb and Less Bugs!
    LOLLIPOP VERSION STILL NEEDS TESTING! PLEASE HELP!

EDIT: Added new First Lollipop build! Please Test! Also added the ability to separately remove Exchange Services with the Lollipop build and a KitKat update (v3.2-kitkat)
    EDIT 2: Added another build with AOSPA Torch Removal and a bug fix.
    EDIT 3: MAJOR BUG FIX! Wouldn't flash, download updated builds v3.3.1 and v1.1.1.

Download KitKat
    Download Lollipop

NEW FEATURES
    • All versions
      Thanks to a request on XDA, I have added support to remove the Boot Animation. Just select the new option and it will remove the animation, defaulting you back to the one built into the code.
    • v3.2+ and both Lollipop versions
      Also, you can now separately remove Exchange Services so you can still use Exchange accounts in Gmail!
      Finally, you can remove AOSPA's Lightbulb/Torch App.
    BUGS
      Fixed Git messing up EOL which made development tricky, didn't impact end users.
    • All versions
      Wouldn't flash in some recoveries like the MultiROM one because it didn't have an updater script file. I added a dummy file and now it works.
    • All versions
      When I based this project off of the PA GApps Easy Config script I was working on, I accidentally left some items in the config script named "aosp_prop" instead of "gapps_prop". To make it easier, I renamed both to just "prop".

CLEAN UP
    All versions
    I did some misc. cleanup including:
    • Changing the author name to my new username: "bgiesing"
    • In config script, fixed leftover PA GApps config name and replaced with Vox Remover.
    • In the Install Script, I removed some extra headers and the part that looks for your text file as it is always in the same place now.
    Big release!

BIG RELEASE TIME!

Introducing v3 of Vox Remover!
    Major changes include:
    • AROMA Installer: The zip is now using AROMA! That means that you can use a simple click interface to config your choices.
    • One ZIP! I figured out how to run the current script from AROMA and show output which means you don't need two ZIPs! Flash one for everything!
    • Added a request: PhotoPhase Live Wallpaper
    • Combined: Development and SpareParts into one entry as if you are going to remove one, you are most likely going to remove the other.
    • Fixed: Addon.d Script! In the older releases, there were two problems with the script. The first was the ZIP not installing it on your device which means it can't work at all. The second is that even if you copied over the script manually, the items to restore were in the "restore" section and not "pre-restore" and this caused things like AOSPA's script to not restore completely!

Download it here!
    v3.3.1-kitkat and v1.1.1-lollipop
    My bad, I didn't make sure it worked before uploading! Both variants are fixed!

Download KitKat
    Download Lollipop

Oops, vox_remover-v3.3-kitkat.zip Won't work on my device :crying: should I format System or Did I missed something here!??

Device: Samsung Galaxy W
    ROM: pa_ancora-4.6-BETA6-20141109
    GAPPS: pa_gapps-modular-pico-4.4.4-20141121-signed
    CWM: 6.0.5.1
    Last Remover V used: vox_remover-v3.zip

:confused::(

@bgiesing Same here, I get E: Error executing updater binary in zip '/sdcard/vox_remover-v3.3-kitkat.zip'.

ROM: cm-11-20141122-NIGHTLY-ville
    Recovery: TWRP 2.8.1.1

Please let me know if you need more info to debug this error.
    yeah, and make it easy for beginner.

The how-to guide is up!

https://github.com/TeamVoxive/vox_remover/wiki/Add-new-removal-options