750v in Japan

Search This thread

etriess

Dec 13, 2006
man, i never said i was the smartest, I spent like a week in the hermes forums looking for info that I could possibly be using on my treo!!! First question is there any 750 users in Japan? Hopefully there are, I just picked mine up in HK and have been using it here in japan for about 3 weeks, I love the phone just can't seem to work the mms bugs out of it, hopefully some members are using theres in japan on softbanks service.

catfish

Nov 17, 2006
Osaka
Hello Etriess
I been thinking of getting the 750v and have had the X01HT by SB but the unit was too slow.. Window... How is the speed of the 750V? do you have software slowdown issues? and what provider are you using? Docomo ? SB?

Inquiring minds want to know!
Catfish

etriess

Dec 13, 2006
Hey catfish,
I am using SB service, so I didn't have any issues when it was unlocked. I have now unlocked it and still working fine, I have not used anyother sim card except SB's. As far as speed is I haven't had another WM phone so really nothing to compare it to. I do like it, the speed to me is fine, I like my phone software to be fast, that is why I would never use a samsung phone again the software is just to dam slow, so sorry couldn't help with that question.

dafreshfish

May 9, 2007
etriess,

I just brought over an unlocked treo 750 from the US to Japan and using with with a SB sim card. The one problem I'm having is that I can't access the internet with the phone. The direct push/email synch is working for me, but for some reason I can't access the internet. I'm currently using the Vodofone Access Point and I tried the new *99# access point, but nothing is working for me. Supposedly "open.softbank.ne.jp" used to work, but it was shutdown at the end of April. Do you information on an access point that works with the Treo 750?

yukster

Apr 3, 2006
Tokyo
I just moved back to Japan, and I have an unlocked Cingular Treo 750 (WM5). I also subscribed with Softbank, with their unlimited packet internet plan. Can anyone tell me the settings they are using for their treo 750 if they are using it with their treo? How did you configure your access point settings? I have been able to make phone calls, but I have not been able to get any data portion to work. I tried some of the suggestions on the Hermes forum, but I could not get the password necessary for the AP to work. Are you using the old cingular/vodaphone settings? Are you being billed per packet?

Thanks.

onake

May 19, 2007
Yukster,

Did you get your problem solved? Have the same situation with you, searching a solution now for 6 months!

larsuck

Dec 10, 2006
Nowheresville
Opensoftbank AP Password conundrum

I am working on the solution to this problem. I think the answer lies in the WIFIwake.exe program that is available on the Hermes and Universal forums. There are three ways this problem could get solved:
1) Edit the WIFIwake.exe so that it can be used with other devices (possible I assume, because the Hermes WIFIwake is a slightly changed copy of the Universal WIFIwake) This will probably prove beyond my capabilities.
2) Get the password by looking at the code of WIFIwake.exe. I have managed to open the exe with a debugger program and there are some likely contenders. I am in the process of trying them now. Trying them all will take some time.
3) Find the guy who wrote these programs and get him to write another that is either universal or that can be used on a Treo 750. I, personally, don't want a 750, but there are more than a few Japanese users I have seen that would be interested in getting this to work.

Anything in here anyone can help me with? I need it.:confused:

S

SirJeannot

it works in japan. tested by myself. (in tokyo at least)

larsuck

Dec 10, 2006
Nowheresville
@SirJeannot, can you be more specific? I know the 750v should work in Japan as it has the right radios, but the question is what access protocol is being used.

Can you access the internet using a softbank simcard? If so, what access point name are you using? Is it open.softbank.ne.jp? Or is it something else?

Also, can you access Softbank MMS?

yukster

Apr 3, 2006
Tokyo
Sorry, no solutions as of yet... I have temporarily given up, and bought a Sharp EM One when works on the E Mobile network. I also got a regular Softbank cellphone, (Toshiba 911T) and is patiently waiting for a solution. Right now, the Windows mobile situation is pretty bleak, with the X01HT being sold out, and its replacements being delayed for over 2 months. The solutions from wilcom is expensive and slow, being stuck on a 256 kbs PHS network, and expensive, with its unlimited data plan at over 12000 yen. At least the EM One is pretty capable, but large, and has no phone capabilities.

There is no debate that you can use the Treo 750 in Japan... I have roamed several times with it when it was with AT&T. I have put the softbank sim in, and it works fine, but the data portion did not work.

S

SirJeannot

@SirJeannot, can you be more specific? I know the 750v should work in Japan as it has the right radios, but the question is what access protocol is being used.

Can you access the internet using a softbank simcard? If so, what access point name are you using? Is it open.softbank.ne.jp? Or is it something else?

Also, can you access Softbank MMS?
i was using a french simcard, so for the apn i really have no clue. mms did work, but through the settings of my own carrier.
i can't help you on the settings :(