Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,924 Members 44,950 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

backup software

Tip us?

originalusername
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question backup software

I used to have a blue angel with WM2k3. it used to have an app called xbackup which used to back up every change on your device post-vendor image to your SD card which could be restored in the event of a hard reset.

As the hermes doesn't have a backup battery (which is driving me nuts topping up the battery at any opportunity) is there an equivalent to the xbackup app that used to be provided with WM2k3 that can be used with WM5/hermes???

hope so. i'm getting trying to get ready for the inevitable day when i run out of juice and lose all my data!!

RemE
Old
Thanks Meter 4
As far as I know, hermes uses WM5 which runs entirely from non-volitile flash memory which means that you can pull the battery and you won't loose your data.

With that said, there are apps out there, SPB Backup is one, that will allow you to make a full backup onto the SD Card.

http://www.pocketgear.com/software_detail.asp?id=21046

Applestar
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default SpB Backup

Make sure you use SpB backup - Sprite Backup crashed my device more than once (and I was using that product for over 4 years & 5 versions...)

And yes, the data on the device will stay even after a full battery drain ...

HTC Touch - German Vodafone
ROM 1.15.162.1 GER
Radio 02.95.90

HTC Herald - German Vodafone compact 4
ROM 1.9.162.1 GER
Radio: 02.88.90

HTC TyTN - German T-Mobile MDA Vario 2

Essentials: SpB Mobile Shell & Phone Tools; PocketCM Keyboard; TomTom 6; AgileMessenger; Vijay555 Tools; mToken; NCP VPN Client; LogMeIn; eWallet 5; Resco Explorer; SpB Backup; Batti

joej
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applestar View Post
Make sure you use SpB backup - Sprite Backup crashed my device more than once (and I was using that product for over 4 years & 5 versions...)

And yes, the data on the device will stay even after a full battery drain ...
was thinking of buying sprite backup... so it crashes your OS?

barrr
Old
Thanks Meter 3
I bought SPB and it works perfect. and I can verify that after my battery drained over night I simply pluged my TYTN and charged the battery. All data and programs were there.

anfangs
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Sprite Backup

I have no problem with Sprite Backup, I use it on my Qtek S100, Qtek 8550 and on my HTC TyTN. I run a scheduled backup every night, leaving three days of backups on my SD card.

I do not use the PC-agent - which would allow to backup the device to a PC folder while Activesync is active.

Menneisyys
Old
Retired Moderator
Thanks Meter 10
Please DO FOLLOW my articles here in the General forum. In my Backup Bible, I present a FULL overview of all these questions.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=278037
Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices, 2006, 2007, 2008. Make sure you follow my PPC & SP Mag Expert blog HERE.

Applestar
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Backup issues...

Well, as we all know the Outlook data in a WM5 device is written to the file "pim.vol". Since this file will be in use all time it does make it difficult to backup this file.

So every backup application has to do some trick about it. Sprite Backup 5 does it quite simple: It just copies your file from "pim.vol" to "pim.volc" (it basically does this with every .vol file). The big issue about it: It will copy your file IN RAM.

So in my case it was easy math: My 16MB pim.vol file (6500 appointments, 800 contacts) was copied to RAM. Well, especially when I did not have a lot of RAM free (e.g. running some more applications) this would cause severe crashes. And it even left orphaned ".volc" files on my device. In RAM. More than 17MB!

---> Conclusion: If you experienced crashes with Sprite Backup: Make sure you delete all ".volc" files on your root folder (RAM). If you ever used Sprite Backup: Check!

Sprite is aware of this issue and was trying to fix it with a new beta. But I did not want to end up beta-testing their reliability. This is supposed to be rock-solid since it is a backup utility!

Read more at: http://www.spritesoftware.com/forum/...a1fc114fd20bd2

---> 2nd conclusion: Use SpB Backup. I do not know about their backup procedure. But it works. And I am certainly not affiliated with SpB If a SpB employee reading this: I would really like an explanation on this one.

Regards,
Apple*

HTC Touch - German Vodafone
ROM 1.15.162.1 GER
Radio 02.95.90

HTC Herald - German Vodafone compact 4
ROM 1.9.162.1 GER
Radio: 02.88.90

HTC TyTN - German T-Mobile MDA Vario 2

Essentials: SpB Mobile Shell & Phone Tools; PocketCM Keyboard; TomTom 6; AgileMessenger; Vijay555 Tools; mToken; NCP VPN Client; LogMeIn; eWallet 5; Resco Explorer; SpB Backup; Batti

originalusername
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
thank you all for your helpful replies. i feel somewhat re-assured to know my data is a bit safer.

this is a great advert for how forums should work. a question followed by swift, constructive replies from both community and moderators.

top show!