Get a Complete Set of Logs with Andy Log

The importance of proper logging is undeniable. No, we’re not talking about lumberjack work. … more

Try Some Android Lollipop Applications on Your Device

Android 5.0 Lollipop has been officially announced and lucky users of Google Nexus 5 … more

AutoCon Manages Your Connections to Perserve Battery Life

As we’ve talked about in the past, battery life is still somewhat of a sore … more

How to Unlock and Root a Nexus Device – XDA TV

It is official–Google has released the Nexus 6 and the Nexus 9. The Nexus family … more

8525 scroll wheel loose?

OP maxgohan

1st March 2007, 03:54 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag GTA
Thanks Meter: 6

104 posts
More
i have an 8525 and i have noticed that my scroll wheel is getting a little loose
it is annoying because i cannot scroll precisely, it takes alot more effort to scroll

can i just open it up and tighten it or do i have to get a new scroll wheel??
where would i even get a scroll wheel?
1st March 2007, 05:51 PM   |  #2  
Forum Administrator
Thanks Meter: 3,805

11,384 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgohan

i have an 8525 and i have noticed that my scroll wheel is getting a little loose
it is annoying because i cannot scroll precisely, it takes alot more effort to scroll

can i just open it up and tighten it or do i have to get a new scroll wheel??
where would i even get a scroll wheel?

It's not immediately obvious how you would tighten the scroll wheel but I can check this weekend if you like?

Mike
Last edited by MikeChannon; 1st March 2007 at 05:56 PM.
1st March 2007, 11:34 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag GTA

104 posts
More
please and thanks
2nd March 2007, 12:22 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 37

448 posts
Mine is getting pretty crappy lately, anyone know a reliable reseller that sells the scrollwheel assembly?
2nd March 2007, 08:56 AM   |  #5  
Forum Administrator

11,384 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgohan

please and thanks

OK will have a look - possibly the black wheel just pushes onto a spindle, in which case it may just be slipping and could be glued or "packed" to tighten it, but we'll see.

Mike
3rd March 2007, 03:36 PM   |  #6  
Forum Administrator

11,384 posts
Well unfortunately after taking apart and examining the jog dial / scroll wheel, it is rock solid on mine. I tried some leverage to see if it was a push on wheel but no joy. I have a feeling it may have a similar construction to old style volume wheels where there is a cir-clip on a spindle holding it in place. Unfortunately, ulike the volume dial set up where the spindle is accessible on the reverse side of the board - this one is not accessible without de-soldering the dial.

To de-solder this component would require the finest of skills. This is not a traditional board where the connections pass through the board and are soldered on the reverse side - it appears surface soldered (possibly multilayered) and surrounded by a number of likely heat sensitive components including the camera flash which is on the reverse side.

All in all I would suggest replacement new or second hand if you can find a source.

Mike
Last edited by MikeChannon; 3rd March 2007 at 10:37 PM.
4th March 2007, 12:30 AM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member
Flag GTA

104 posts
More
great...so where do i find the necessary tools to open up my device and replace the wheel assembly
12th March 2007, 01:24 AM   |  #8  
OP Senior Member
Flag GTA

104 posts
More
anyone find a supplier for these scroll wheels?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread