Android 5.0.2 and New Factory Images For Nexus 7 (Wi-Fi) Available

Android 5.0 is has been publicly available since early November, and the … more

Github Tutorial App Shows You How to Use… Github

Github can get pretty complicated and using it can become quite daunting, especially … more

Google Glass-like Clip-On For Regular Glasses Developed by Sony

For the price of $2,000, a pair of glasses that can run apps, take pictures, … more

Micromax Takes OnePlus to Court! Android Wear Receives Lollipop – XDA TV

Android 5.0 Lollipop is available officially for the Moto 360! … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

3G vs HSDPA

OP anilk

16th April 2007, 11:59 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 0

44 posts
More
Guys, I just want to confirm that my Ameo really is running on 3.5G (HSDPA). Is there some icon or way to confirm that? I see the 3G icon at the top but bandwidth test returns 1.1 mbps and I expect more from HSDPA. Or does T-Mobile need to set a switch on their end? I have the web-n-walk plan.

Thanks,
Krip
17th April 2007, 01:31 AM   |  #2  
Flag Cleveland, Ohio

676 posts
More
1.1 is HSDPA, not UTMS
17th April 2007, 07:35 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 1

115 posts
When connected to normal 3G network my Dopod U1000 shows a 3G icon, after HSDPA network covered it will show a H icon.
17th April 2007, 02:19 PM   |  #4  
Flag London

774 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by simdao

When connected to normal 3G network my Dopod U1000 shows a 3G icon, after HSDPA network covered it will show a H icon.

hi, since you can connect to the HSDPA, can you kindly do a test for me for this problem?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=302827
24th April 2008, 08:54 AM   |  #5  
Flag Up North!

25 posts
More
Am i on HSDPA....
As soon as you get higher bandwidth than 384 Kbps then you are on HSDPA regardless of what the icon on your phone reads, most networks have the feature enabled to register the "H" icon whebn you are using HSDPA but not all. The message is part of a SIB broadcast and is set as a parameter on the BTS cell that covers you - if this message is not enabled then you will only ever see the "3G" icon

As for speed 1.1 Mbps is about average if you are in a well populated area, the restriction comes mostly from the capacity available in in the BTS site serving you, most operators only have around 2x E1 (approx 4 Mbps) for the entire site so if you have more than 1 user on HSDPA then you will only get around 1 Mbps each - this dynamicaly adjusts if there is more bandwidth available for you to use. To get the higher speeds then you must be in a cell that uses 16QAM modulation (Tytn has this feature) and T-Mobile has this enabled on every site in the network but not all operators do!
24th April 2008, 03:02 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 24

774 posts
normal 3G is 384Kbps download Hsdpa on T-mobile is restricted to their max network speed of 1Mbps but there are rumours of them soon going to 3.8 mbps, but the athena maxes out at 1.8 mbps anyway, so if you want full speed get a USB dongle.
24th April 2008, 03:52 PM   |  #7  

56 posts
More
web and walk plus
Im not sure if you are aware but to enable the hsdpa you must be on the "web and walk max" package in the uk.
If you are on the standard W&W package you will not benefit. I have the MAX W&W and can now enjoy the faster hsdpa connection, further more I can get faster speeds using my ameo and wifirouter linked to my laptop than I actualy get via my usb tmobile dongle.
In a nutshell, dont pay extra for the slower hsdpa dongle, not when you can pay 5 extra for the W&WMAX and enjoy wireless connection at a higher speed. I usualy use my laptop with the ameo tucked away inside my suit jacket, and often have people wondering where my dongle is!
24th April 2008, 05:21 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 24

774 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgemonstahinz

Im not sure if you are aware but to enable the hsdpa you must be on the "web and walk max" package in the uk.
If you are on the standard W&W package you will not benefit. I have the MAX W&W and can now enjoy the faster hsdpa connection, further more I can get faster speeds using my ameo and wifirouter linked to my laptop than I actualy get via my usb tmobile dongle.
In a nutshell, dont pay extra for the slower hsdpa dongle, not when you can pay 5 extra for the W&WMAX and enjoy wireless connection at a higher speed. I usualy use my laptop with the ameo tucked away inside my suit jacket, and often have people wondering where my dongle is!

Not true, I have both W&W added to my phone account and W&Wmax on a data card and both sims are capable of full 1mbps HSDPA in either device
5th May 2008, 11:21 AM   |  #9  
Flag Up North!

25 posts
More
Restricted network speeds on T-Mobile
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice_coffee

normal 3G is 384Kbps download Hsdpa on T-mobile is restricted to their max network speed of 1Mbps but there are rumours of them soon going to 3.8 mbps, but the athena maxes out at 1.8 mbps anyway, so if you want full speed get a USB dongle.

Hi there, T-Mobile does not have any restrictions on download speeds apart from your service level (wnw max, plus etc) almost all wnw users can use the maximum speed available to them (apart from the newer users). The network is fully 3.8Mbps already and has been for around 9 months, within the next 8 weeks it will be 9.6Mbps capable (with a new datacard or release 6 mobile device) and within 6 months they should be around 10.7Mbps capable - most of the restrictions that users see (speeds not higher than 1.2Mbps etc) come from lack of capacity in the BTS site or transmission backhaul, the system automaticaly restricts bandwidth per user so that all users can be served at the same time, and it's not often nowadays that you only get 1 data user per BTS site!! not in built up areas......:D
5th May 2008, 12:11 PM   |  #10  
Flag Surrey
Thanks Meter: 3

1,017 posts
More
W'n'W Std = 7.50/month - No HSDPA (except on some older contracts) 1Gb FUP no tethering
W'n'W Plus = 12.50/ Month - HSDPA - speeds vary depending on congestion - Athena limited to 1,8Mb max 3Gb FUP No VOIP tethering allowed
W'n'W Max = 25? / Month As plus but with VOIP

Unless someone wants to correct me that's how I believe it stands (the old W'n'W Pro for 10/month was only available for a few months)

T do not limit speeds but the 1.8/3.6/7.2 etc are maximums which are shared so you are unlikely to ever get 'full' speed.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread