Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,807,597 Members 52,134 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Can the 8Gb MicroDrive by Hitachi be "upgraded" ?

Tip us?

lbarouf
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Can the 8Gb MicroDrive by Hitachi be "upgraded" ?

Has anyone try or does anyone know why it could or could not be done? Biggest MicroSD/TransFlash is 2Gb or 4Gb?

LTxda
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Post possibly yes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbarouf View Post
Has anyone try or does anyone know why it could or could not be done? Biggest MicroSD/TransFlash is 2Gb or 4Gb?
I would guess that if the power consumption and size are the same for a larger drive then the answer would be yes. Check the specifications of the installed drive and see if any larger drives exist with the same power consuption and size....let us know what you find...i'm interested. Also, PocketPCTechs are known for updates of this sort. You might consider e-mailing them and asking if they plan on having a HD upgrade for the Athena and letting us know what they say.

I've only found a 4gig SDHC card. If you find something larger let us know this also.

thnx

wu5262
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltxda View Post
I would guess that if the power consumption and size are the same for a larger drive then the answer would be yes. Check the specifications of the installed drive and see if any larger drives exist with the same power consuption and size....let us know what you find...i'm interested. Also, PocketPCTechs are known for updates of this sort. You might consider e-mailing them and asking if they plan on having a HD upgrade for the Athena and letting us know what they say.

I've only found a 4gig SDHC card. If you find something larger let us know this also.

thnx
i can confirm 4G SDHC works fine on Athena
DOPOD U1000 aka HTC Athena
HTC Shift loving it with 18 hours battery life !
HTC Diamond, back to thin and small again.
HTC HD, Starting to grow Big
HTC HD2, Even bigger, such a nice phone!
Samsumg i9000, why is there no EVO in UK?!!
HTC Desire HD, Finally!

Pantaloonie
Old
Thanks Meter 7
I'm sure I read somewhere that the tilt sensor for the Vueflow is built into the hard drive.... So swapping it for another drive would prevent that from working.

LTxda
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantaloonie View Post
I'm sure I read somewhere that the tilt sensor for the Vueflow is built into the hard drive.... So swapping it for another drive would prevent that from working.
Wow, that would make it not possible unless you didn't care for the VueFlow.

lbarouf
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default What I settled for trying.

I found a 16Gb CompactFlash to replace the MicroDrive. Pricey... very pricey, but want to try that. Power comsumption is slighly lower, so I might see improvement. I will try to mirror the "drives" before inserting the CompactFlash. I don't see why it wouldn't work. Access time is much faster also. Can't wait to try to run a movie on a plasma. Finally an alternative to renting movies in hotels! For those interrested in the drive: http://www.flash-memory-store.com/16...act-flash.html The Qmemory drive seems the most interresting one. 24Mb/s access... not even sure the south bridge on this device can access the drive that fast.

LTxda
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
I found a 16Gb CompactFlash to replace the MicroDrive. Pricey... very pricey, but want to try that. Power comsumption is slighly lower, so I might see improvement. I will try to mirror the "drives" before inserting the CompactFlash. I don't see why it wouldn't work. Access time is much faster also. Can't wait to try to run a movie on a plasma. Finally an alternative to renting movies in hotels! For those interrested in the drive: http://www.flash-memory-store.com/16...act-flash.html The Qmemory drive seems the most interresting one. 24Mb/s access... not even sure the south bridge on this device can access the drive that fast.
If this works for you please let me know. I'll buy one also and replace mine. Are you sure the 8GB drive in the Athena is Compact Flash? I have no clue so just asking.

bogusiano
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Post HOLD IT!

Quote:
Guys, please hold it, those MicroDrives won't fit on the Athena, Athena's MicroDrive is slightly different in dimensions. Just take a look at Asukal's Blog (Naked Athena):

http://asukal.net/blog/?p=299

Good luck finding the one we need, I am happy now with the one provided!
bogusiano - Dopod U1000

LTxda
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogusiano View Post
Guys, please hold it, those MicroDrives won't fit on the Athena, Athena's MicroDrive is slightly different in dimensions. Just take a look at Asukal's Blog (Naked Athena):

http://asukal.net/blog/?p=299

Good luck finding the one we need, I am happy now with the one provided!
Thanks for the info. I didn't think the Athena used Compact Flash. I'm sure if we contact Hitachi support they will provide us with information on a larger drive. Maybe PocketPC Tech's will soon offer an upgrade. I would prefer having them do it with a warranty.

LTxda
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Maybe they don't make a larger MicroDrive...check out the site
http://www.hitachigst.com/portal/sit...80021aac4f0a0/