Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,619 Members 46,573 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[NEWS] Hermes kernel 1413 is a FAKE!

Tip us?

Shadowmite
Old
(Last edited by Shadowmite; 22nd May 2007 at 09:42 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 52
Default [NEWS] Hermes kernel 1413 is a FAKE!

A group of us at #xda-devs on freenode started looking at the crackberry hex edit's to the kernel to make bbconnect work, and in the process noticed some strangeness in the disassembly. It appears the 1413 hermes kernel going around is in fact nothing more than build 1236. We have proven this now in assembly, the getversion function returns the value of 1236, not 1413. We are currently unsure how or where the patch occurs to visually show the faked version ID.

Midget's rom on the universal however, is truely 1413, with the same test his rom passed the correct version back.

Figured someone might like this update...

Midgets: MOVL R3, 0x585
Hermes: MOVL R3, 0x4D4

585 = 1413 decimal
4D4 = 1236 decimal

Midget_1990
Old
Retired Moderator
Thanks Meter 12
confirmed, and mine is the real deal

faria
Old
(Last edited by faria; 22nd May 2007 at 10:07 PM.)
Retired Senior Moderator / Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 740

DONATE TO ME
confirmed...it did not take long...ehehe....i compared to the real one this afternoon,it is endeed a fake... the kernel files/modules dont even match.but let not blame anyone...i belive this was done for a specific reason.
Current Devices- Tab 2 7.0 P3100 - Omnia7- Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini - Tab 3 T210 - Note 2 GT-n7100 - S4-GT-I9505
Retired devices-Htc Blueangel-Htc Wizard-Htc Hermes-Htc Diamond2-Htc Rhodium-Samsung galaxy S-Dell Streak-P6800 Galaxy Tab7.7

How to search the Xda Developers forums within Windows Explorer | XDA Rules |

peezy
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Would someone please elaborate on these implications? Does this mean that any ROM advertised in the Hermes section as CE 5.2.1413 actually is not?

Shadowmite
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 52
Correct, 1413 does not exist for the hermes, although it's completely possible for a hybrid kernel to exist, but I for one would not think that to be very "stable". That's not to say a future kernel couldn't be legit, but if you want to be sure, drop by the irc chat and we'll help you pull apart a rom to see what it's made out of!

Midget_1990
Old
Retired Moderator
Thanks Meter 12
its really 1236 edited to 1413

similar to when that chick you've been hitting on turns out to ahve a c*ck, only not quite as bad

peezy
Old
Thanks Meter 0
wow midget...I feel violated on so many different levels

CUSTEL
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midget_1990 View Post
its really 1236 edited to 1413

similar to when that chick you've been hitting on turns out to ahve a c*ck, only not quite as bad
lmao....

will be updating my kernel tonight, nice find guys, glad I had you help with the bbconnect shadow otherwise it wouldve gone unnoticed.

faria
Old
(Last edited by faria; 22nd May 2007 at 10:22 PM.)
Retired Senior Moderator / Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 740

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmite View Post
Correct, 1413 does not exist for the hermes, although it's completely possible for a hybrid kernel to exist, but I for one would not think that to be very "stable". That's not to say a future kernel couldn't be legit, but if you want to be sure, drop by the irc chat and we'll help you pull apart a rom to see what it's made out of!
if you talking about CE OS 5.2.1413 then you are incorrect....there is such rom native to the hermes.

regards....
Current Devices- Tab 2 7.0 P3100 - Omnia7- Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini - Tab 3 T210 - Note 2 GT-n7100 - S4-GT-I9505
Retired devices-Htc Blueangel-Htc Wizard-Htc Hermes-Htc Diamond2-Htc Rhodium-Samsung galaxy S-Dell Streak-P6800 Galaxy Tab7.7

How to search the Xda Developers forums within Windows Explorer | XDA Rules |

Shadowmite
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 52
I didn't say it doesn't exist, only that we have not seen it yet, the ones we have appear to all be the fake.

EDIT: I stand corrected, I did say that, but I later said it's highly possibly a future rom could be legit at that level...