Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,813,836 Members 41,611 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

T-Mobile Wing radio performance

Tip us?

jt_armstrong
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default T-Mobile Wing radio performance

I am the not so proud owner of a Wizard but have the opportunity of moving to a Wing. I love my wizard with the exception of the radio performance, poor reception, missed calls and vanishing text messages which are all part of the deal. So those of you who have a Wing, is the radio any good?

rpodos
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Radio is slightly better than the MDA, IMO. BT radio is definitely better. WM6 is sweet, and stable.... speed and battery are fine overclocked at 247. The BT stack is waaaay better for A2DP.

The big problem is program memory... something around 15MB before plug-ins, and with a medium-bad leak. No one has real good answers yet, and we are all DESPARATELY waiting for custom ROMS! In the meantime, I've recommended using Oxios to clear memory as often as possible, and soft resets at least once a day.

It's really a great device, except for the memory problem. If you do get one, make sure to check at HoFo as to the best purchase deal.

-Richard
I'm at Dr. Johnson's office for a dental appointment.

Samsung i760... don't you want a dialpad??

falconeyez
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Well, the reason why you're missing so many calls is because your Radio is 2.61. That for whatever reason, that "improved" radio sucks in Southern California. If I remember correctly, that was a German radio. The Wing has an upgraded radio, but I haven't tried it in areas I know are sketchy. But all in all, except for the huge loss of RAM due to God only knows (I don't run My Favs) it seems to be a pretty stable phone, but I've only had it for less than a week.

jt_armstrong
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Thanks falconeyez, I have actually been running 2.69 for the past few days but it is as bad or worse than 2.61. I have jsut downloaded 2.40 from the FTP to try that but I have just about given up hope of any radio rom working in the Wizard. If the Wing has a suitable replacement then I will make the change as the rest of the phone appears to be the same as a Wizard

falconeyez
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jt_armstrong View Post
Thanks falconeyez, I have actually been running 2.69 for the past few days but it is as bad or worse than 2.61. I have jsut downloaded 2.40 from the FTP to try that but I have just about given up hope of any radio rom working in the Wizard. If the Wing has a suitable replacement then I will make the change as the rest of the phone appears to be the same as a Wizard
No problem, that's what the boards are for. When I was using the wizard I kept my radio at 2.25 (2.26?) and that consistently gave me the best results.

WarezAppz
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpodos View Post
Radio is slightly better than the MDA, IMO. BT radio is definitely better. WM6 is sweet, and stable.... speed and battery are fine overclocked at 247. The BT stack is waaaay better for A2DP.

The big problem is program memory... something around 15MB before plug-ins, and with a medium-bad leak. No one has real good answers yet, and we are all DESPARATELY waiting for custom ROMS! In the meantime, I've recommended using Oxios to clear memory as often as possible, and soft resets at least once a day.

It's really a great device, except for the memory problem. If you do get one, make sure to check at HoFo as to the best purchase deal.

-Richard
/agree 100% with everything said here.

As a result I've been playing with customizing my own rom (removing programs adding in - etc) and what I've come up with is a cross between the Touch and the Iphone - I use the iLock and the iContacts, and all of the other themes and apps from the Touch as posted in the Touch for Wizard thread (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=311225)

Now my problem is: I want to remove the annoying taskbar that holds the battery status (OEM) and etc on the bottom because I do not need it anymore. Anyone have any ideas on how to do this?