Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,650 Members 40,223 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

What Apps In Your Perfect WM6 Rom

Tip us?

uniqueboy
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Smile What Apps In Your Perfect WM6 Rom

I have just upgraded to the new WM6 PDAVIET Rom which is great, but I was wondering if we could try and figure out what the perfect rom would contain. For example TomTom, TCPMP, T9pad, or whatever. I would like to see AEButton plus which I find really opens up a realm of one handed operations.
I am just beginning to learn about rom cooking and maybe some day I'll make my own perfect rom but until then what suggestions do you have for the contents?
If You Would Like To Smile More.....Then Smile More

EazyVG
Old
Thanks Meter 63
I'd say that perfect ROM would contain NOTHING .... meaning no extras, apart from those that are part of WM6 officially and most of HTC Applications .... a clean and mean machine.

The rest we install manually .... each to his/her own likings.
Primary Mobile: Xperia Z2 (6503) Unlocked|Root
Desktop|Notebook: openSUSE

OpenSource is good for you and for the world!

evaluator
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I agree. To me the perfect rom would not only not contain favorite programs and extra today themes but also would be stripped of all the other non-essential stuff like emoticons, templates, ringtones (all but one), empty folders, extra audio files, etc. All that junk could accompany the rom download in a separate folder to be added as one sees fit. In fact, my perfect rom wouldn´t contain ppt.exe, a program I´ve never once used but that takes up whopping 2.59mb.
Htc Artemis, Bepe WM6, 2gb Sandisk microSD
K-Jam, 1gb Sandisk miniSD

uniqueboy
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
I think I might be inclined to agree with you, but I like the idea of not having to install anything, I spent hours yesterday messing about, installing stuff copying serials and then fiddling with all the settings, I just got bored and wanted it right quickly.
So is it easy for advanced devs to build a totally clean rom? Is it possible to just package stuff up to only upgrade the ext.rom of a clean rom? so we could just choose rom, radio and ext,rom separately to individual tastes.
If You Would Like To Smile More.....Then Smile More

Elim Garak
Old
Thanks Meter 0
To get it PERFECT... make it your OWN!

paalkr
Old
Thanks Meter 45
Hi!

I totally agree, to make it perfect you have to make your own, but how?? I download the ROM kitchen for artemis from this tread (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=310076) and it seems quite simple to cook a ROM with default packages, but how do I make my own packages from my favorite apps? Say I want to add Tomtom and Spb Mobile Shell in my ROM, how do I do that?

Regards,
PK

Registerme
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Yes, veeeeery good idea!

I want to do this too but the tutorials for that seem to be hidden really well or non-existent. It really sucks to install all the programs again once you've updated to a new ROM. And I don't want a WWE ROM, I want to use my own language.

If there is a way how to find out where or how to extract .cabs to the right format then it would be possible to include them when building the OS. Maybe we have to start a big thread called "Beginners Tutorial for cooking ROMs". I'm very familiar with my computer and hardware but finding out which program to use for what and which parameters I have to enter takes up a lot of time. A few months ago I tried to install something on a server and finding out how to do this and how the program works took me two weeks, now I can do it in 30 minutes. Now I don't know much more than after those two weeks but I know how to do it faster.

We should work on this too, it's not that there absolute computer-newbies in this forum, they just don't know how to use the tools correctly, including me. But I'm willing to learn and share my knowledge.
Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4 - Android 4.2.2 - no root