New vodafone uk firmware for the v1605??

Search This thread

Barneyabz

Oct 22, 2005
Ken Barwick is reporting new offical firmware release for the Vodafone UK V1605. His blog is here:

http://blogs.conchango.com/kenibarw...s_2F00_-TyTn_2900_-get_2700_s-an-upgrade.aspx

And the software is on rapidshare:

http://rapidshare.com/files/38302476/RUU_Hermes_VF_UK_2.07.161.1_6275_1.32.00.00_108_Ship.exe.html

Can any of you more techinical minded folk check it out - is it an offical upgrade? (can't find anything on the offical Vodafone websites). Too nervous to try it myself as my phone is a company phone. Anyway if someone wants to look into it and report back.

Cheers

Barney

Barneyabz

Oct 22, 2005
Well I have gone ahead and done it - got too impatient to wait for someone else to check it out.

The upgrade went smoothly -

Stats as follows

After

ROM Version 2.07.161.1
ROM Date 02/06/07
Radio Version 1.32.00.00
Protocal Version 32.65.7020.09W
AKU 3.3

Now will rebuild with software I had before and test. Will keep you informed but all seems to be working ok so far.

Cheers

Barney

Last edited:

adambern

May 2, 2003
It's the same rom that came (installed) on my 1605. It's very good. Battery life is very good. BT on, wifi with a fair amount of use, backlight up full, 30-60 minutes of calls etc... and the battery lasts around 48 hours. Beats my T750v by around 36 hours.

Yostin

Mar 28, 2007
Hello,

I own a sim free TYTN and use a Vodafone sim. If I update my TYTN with this ROM, will I then be able to install the iminent HTC ROM update without any problems? Will the Vodafone ROM lock my phone to their network?

Thanks.

Barneyabz

Oct 22, 2005
It's the same rom that came (installed) on my 1605. It's very good. Battery life is very good. BT on, wifi with a fair amount of use, backlight up full, 30-60 minutes of calls etc... and the battery lasts around 48 hours. Beats my T750v by around 36 hours.

Sounds like it is an official ROM then - can someone let an admin know to possibly update the relevent WIKI page. Wonder why Voda are using it for newer phones but haven't issued it as an update for exisiting phones?

Must say - no problems so far - all software seems to be working ok.

Cheers

Barney

Barneyabz

Oct 22, 2005
Hello,

I own a sim free TYTN and use a Vodafone sim. If I update my TYTN with this ROM, will I then be able to install the iminent HTC ROM update without any problems? Will the Vodafone ROM lock my phone to their network?

Thanks.

Sorry not expert enough to help - possibly someone else can?

Barney

Barneyabz

Oct 22, 2005
Since upgrading I had a problem with accessing my storage card. Appears this is a known problem with newer ROM upgrades (doesn't happen with AKU 2.x version) Have applied a reg workaround posted in other threads. If that works great if not I will go back to my previous ROM (AKU 2)

Cheers

Barney

Barneyabz

Oct 22, 2005
Well the issue with my storage card is still happening therefore I suspect I will revert to my previous Vodafone firmware AKU 2.3 - Anyone know whether reverting will be a problem as I read somewhere that the bootloader or something like that will not allow you to revert to a previous rom. Anyone know if this is an issue?

Cheers

Barney

Last edited:

ma499

Dec 12, 2006
London
mustafa.arif.me.uk
Loaded this on my v1605. (Well, actually I extracted the ROM, Ext ROM and Radio so as to continue running with Hard-SPL.)

Anyway, works fine for me. But the protocol version is actually 32.65.7020.09H (i.e. with HSDPA). I think the previous Vodafone radio had a protocol ending in W.

Also I had some problems with my storage card but I found that putting into a card reader and re-formatting as FAT32 on a Windows computer did the trick. The card was originally FAT16. (Curiously a FAT32 format on my Mac failed to fix it...)

Initial impressionis AKU 3.3 is fantastic and I'll be sticking with this ROM. New radio also seems to give me much better reception and call connection reliability, so far. I might try radio 1.38 in due course once I have a better idea of how this one is performing.

Barneyabz

Oct 22, 2005
But the protocol version is actually 32.65.7020.09H (i.e. with HSDPA). I think the previous Vodafone radio had a protocol ending in W..

Thats weird because I just checked and mine definately has a "W" at the end not an "H". Wonder how that can be?

As for reformatting it as FAT32 - how long has that been workign for now. Seems some of these fixes like the reg fix or the FAT 32 fix work for some people and not for others

Barney

ma499

Dec 12, 2006
London
mustafa.arif.me.uk
Okay, I found my first problem with this firmware: Vodafone Mail (242) voicemail icon alerts no longer work. The SMS alert doesn't seem to come through either. So no audio/vibrate alert either. D'oh!

On the other hand there is a new "VMail" Today screen plugin which does show you how many voicemails you have waiting. I guess the software is automatically processing the SMS alerts rather than treating them as normal voicemail messages. Which is an improvement (I always resented having to delete the old SMS notifications) but I'd still like to have the option of having an audio/vibrate alert for new voicemails (useful when you have call waiting disabled) as well as the spool icon which saves on Today screen space.

The protocol version thing is wierd. I definitely have HSDPA now - an "H" logo appears in place of the 3G one when I use data. Are there perhpas two variants of this ROM image circulating? I got mine from the Rapidshare link above.

Last edited:

keni

Jan 16, 2004
London
www.barwick.net
Hey guys...

Sorry I was late on responding to this...

I can say that this ROM IS the official one, Vodafone are still trying to work a way on advertising and delivering you the ROM's...

On the case of the H and 3G logo's on the top bar. This is to indicate that you have HSDPA enabled coverage or 3G coverage.

I personal haven't updated to this version due to a number of reasons, so you'll have to let me know if you can make calls when the H is shown, in the States I could with the old ROM but not over here...

As for the Voice Mail, if that is the case removing them after delivery is a school boy error!!! tsk, tsk!!!

doedoe

Oct 13, 2006
Okay, I found my first problem with this firmware: Vodafone Mail (242) voicemail icon alerts no longer work. The SMS alert doesn't seem to come through either. So no audio/vibrate alert either. D'oh!

On the other hand there is a new "VMail" Today screen plugin which does show you how many voicemails you have waiting. I guess the software is automatically processing the SMS alerts rather than treating them as normal voicemail messages. Which is an improvement (I always resented having to delete the old SMS notifications) but I'd still like to have the option of having an audio/vibrate alert for new voicemails (useful when you have call waiting disabled) as well as the spool icon which saves on Today screen space.

The protocol version thing is wierd. I definitely have HSDPA now - an "H" logo appears in place of the 3G one when I use data. Are there perhpas two variants of this ROM image circulating? I got mine from the Rapidshare link above.

Did you allow the Ext ROM to run? I believe that VF use a cab in there to turn on the voice mail notifications (part of the service indiciation security policy)

ma499

Dec 12, 2006
London
mustafa.arif.me.uk
Did you allow the Ext ROM to run? I believe that VF use a cab in there to turn on the voice mail notifications (part of the service indiciation security policy)
Yes, I installed the new VF Ext ROM and allowed it to run. I might take a look at it's contents to see if I can manually run it again. (Not keen on doing a hard reset as it took me a couple of hours to reconfigure all my apps and seetings after the ROM update.)

ma499

Dec 12, 2006
London
mustafa.arif.me.uk
I personal haven't updated to this version due to a number of reasons, so you'll have to let me know if you can make calls when the H is shown, in the States I could with the old ROM but not over here...

You're right! I can't make calls when the H is shown! After several attemps H is replaced by 3G and call goes through.

Incidentally it only seems to go into HSDPA mode as and when I initiate a data connection. During the course of the connection it will often switch back to 3G and, without fail, does so after the connection is dropped (manually). Is this normal behaviour?

Previously (with the factory-provided Vodafone ROM) I didn't get an 'H', and my ROM version ended in W, implying no HSDPA. Nevertheless I did have SetHSDPA enabled using the fit4cat HTweakC and there were often times (in 3G coverage) when I couldn't make calls until after several attempts.

Last edited:

Barneyabz

Oct 22, 2005
I definitely have the W version. Got it from rapidshare, no idea why it is different to yours. No problems with making calls. I used set hsdp to on but the icon still says 3g however downloads at 1.2mb so definitely switched on. No problems at all with voice mail icon, works completely as normal. Only issue is still with the storage card. Drives me bananas.

Cheers

Barney

ma499

Dec 12, 2006
London
mustafa.arif.me.uk
I rang Vodafone about the voicemail problem. They've said they'll send me a replacement handset on Monday! Will be interesting to see what the firmware version on that one is.

ma499

Dec 12, 2006
London
mustafa.arif.me.uk
Okay, this is really wierd. I tried doing a hard-reset and now the voicemail problem is gone! Plus I checked the Device Information and the Radio ROM version has changed to the 'W' version. As with Barneyabz there is no 'H' icon to indicate HSDPA but now calls can actually be made when HSDPA is enabled.

Why should the hard reset have made any difference?

ma499

Dec 12, 2006
London
mustafa.arif.me.uk
Okay I've done some more investigating... I flashed another Radio ROM (1.43, Protocol 'H') and found I had the same voicemail and HSDPA calls problem. I then did a hard reset and found it was fixed with the protocol (and behaviour) had changed to 'W'.

I can only assume that there is some customisation in the extended that changes this. Yet I ha dprevious tried manually running the auto-customisations from extended rom without any joy.

I might do some further digging. (Probably not just yet, however!)