Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,806,279 Members 52,962 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Wing hidden shortcut keys

Tip us?

ckacey
Old
(Last edited by ckacey; 1st July 2007 at 08:44 PM.) Reason: New Info.
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Wing hidden shortcut keys

I made a write-up on the Wing's hidden shortcut keys.

A few weeks ago while I was typing up my on-site notes at work, on my T-Mobile Wing the device threw me a tilde (~). This confused me because this device doesn't have a tilde key and I wasn't working in the symbol keypad. About two weeks later I was able to get the device to type another symbol that isn't shown on the keyboard, thankfully I was texting and not at work, so after a few minutes of experimenting I was able to chart all of the alternate keys that are available on the Wing.

So what is the T-Mobile Wing? The Wing is a Windows Mobile 6 Professional smartphone that has a sliding keyboard, WIFI, bluetooth, and Microsoft Voice command built in. Voice command lets you perform certain tasks by voice without a training session like most phones with voice control require. Price was $299 at launch.

Chart of alt keys and instructions after the jump.

Pressing the alt key on the left of the chart (shown in blue on the keypad) while still holding alt and then pressing the space bar will give you the symbol on the right of the chart, pressing space multiple times while still holding alt will give you the other symbols on the chart. The number keys and the other keys not listed don't respond to this function.

Blue Key Result
( [{<«

) ]}>»

/ \|
# *

! ¡?¿
? ¿!¡
_ +±&-

" '«»

% ^

-
_+±&

+ ±&-_

@ ~
'
«»"
&
-_+±
: ,;.

#
;
.:,
;.:

Obviously a few of these keys just duplicate existing functionality, but some of them are very useful and if you use some of these symbols regularly they can save you loads of time using alternate methods to get these symbols.

I am a manual reader and didn't see this information listed in the manual. (I just double checked to be sure). This information is not in the manual.

Pressing alt tab brings up a useful symbol panel. This symbol panel is similar to the charmap function of a windows computer, and contains several pages of symbols that you can insert into your text.

Update:
Thanks to blackout203 @ XDA Developers, while they were trying this out they found out about the multiple keypresses.

blackout203
Old
Thanks Meter 8
actually this is a nice find but I just found something from learning yours
if you press the space key more than once, you can get even more symbols! try it out
i got << and >> on the " key

ckacey
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks, I've updated the article and the posting.

papamopps
Old
Retired Moderator
Thanks Meter 50
btw - on wizard devices you could choose the ranking of the symbols by editing the sym.txt. DOnīt even know if herald alos has a sym.txt. But perhaps someone could give it a try.

lol

NNagendran
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Default sym.0409.txt

yes, the "sym" file is present in herald too. the name of the file is "sym.0409.txt" for WWE version (T-Mobile Wing)

timhein
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Nice, but I want the space character when entering numbers

So that explains why when I am entering phone numbers and addresses and I want to put in spaces, the space key doesn't work! I've found this incredibly frustrating because i have to double-press the ALT key to get in in ALT mode, type a bunch of numbers, press the ALT key to get out of ALT mode, press the space bar, double-press the ALT key to get back into ALT mode, then continue on with the numbers.

Do you know if there is a way to get the space key to put in a space while in ALT mode??

madcow_mda
Old
Thanks Meter 8
i found the sym.tct file on my herald in the folder /windows.
However i can't edit it since the file is located in the ROM memory.
how can I change the properties of the file such that I can edit it?
I already tried setting the permissions through total commander, but that doesn;t work I can't remove the read-only setting

papamopps
Old
Retired Moderator
Thanks Meter 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by madcow_mda View Post
i found the sym.tct file on my herald in the folder /windows.
However i can't edit it since the file is located in the ROM memory.
how can I change the properties of the file such that I can edit it?
I already tried setting the permissions through total commander, but that doesn;t work I can't remove the read-only setting
try to rename or copy it and edit the copy - then copy back. somehow it worked.

hope