Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,719 Members 38,251 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

How to if I only want data via WiFi - Don't want to pay carrier data fees

Tip us?

cmariotti
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question How to if I only want data via WiFi - Don't want to pay carrier data fees

I'm sorry... I've searched the forum using a few different keywords and can't find exactly how to do this. I did see a posting on "MoDaCo_NoData" but it seems to crash on my Tytn (installs but errors after it runs).

I have downloaded the official HTC WM6 Rom update and have that installed now. I'm just reading up on the hacked roms (Black Majik)... might try it in a week or two.

I know on WM5 if I didn't enable WiFi and by mistake ran IE, it downloads the data from the cell network, which is definately NOT what I want. Worse, if for some dumb reason, Wifi is a low signal, it might drop and push you onto the cell network for data, which has happened to me a few times now and unless you are paranoid (I am now), you never notice that it's slipped onto cell data network. It's starting to cost me a fortune.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

schplade
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Just change the settings for your gprs data connection so they are incorrect and then wont connect to the network, easily done .

drummer10630
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Start/Settings/Connections/Connections/Advanced/Select Network

Select My WORK NETWORK
Device History:

Smart AmazingPhone 1, O2 Xphone, Orange c500, T-Mobile SDA (uk), Audiovox smt5600, I-Mate sp5, T-Mobile MDA Pro, T-Mobile SDA (usa), O2 Atom, O2 Atom Exec, Dopod 838 Pro, Orange SPV m3100, Asus p525, Cingular 2125, AT&T Tilt, HTC Kaiser, O2 XDA Graphite, iPhone 4, HTC Hero, Galaxy S2 (m250s), iPhone 4s, iPhone 5, Galaxy S2 (i9100)

cmariotti
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Some clarification needed...

Quote:
Just change the settings for your gprs data connection so they are incorrect and then wont connect to the network, easily done .
Sorry... where do I do that exactly? If I go to connections, click on "GPRS Setting" it asks me is I want to use PAP or CHAP... nothing else.

As well, I forgot to mention I did get a Tytn for my wife as well, so would be nice if there was a program or simple step to enable/disable and easy for the wife to use.

Quote:
Start/Settings/Connections/Connections/Advanced/Select Network

Select My WORK NETWORK
Thanks, doing this brings up "Network Managment" with two items on screen to choose.

1. Programs that automatically connect to the internet should connect using:
Options: a) My ISP
b) My Work Network
Edit / New

2. Programs that automatically connect to a private network should connect using: Options:
a) My Work Network
b) My ISP

If I do item 1 above, and change it to My Work Network, then I can no longer access web sites via WiFi. Which is what I'd like to do, just use WiFi, no other wireless data transfers via the cell carrier.

Thanks for your help and any clarifications..

leo-chan
Old
Thanks Meter 0
You are facing errors with your Modaco Nodata because you haven't setup any data connection (3G or GPRS) to your provider. Try setting it up and running Modaco Nodata again.

It works a breeze for me. But then again, if you don't have any connections setup, you shouldn't worry about anything in fact.
Current: Nokia N85
Previous: Vodafone v1605
Herm200
IPL-1.04
SPL-2.10.0lipro
ROM version: 3.62.305.5
ROM date: 11/06/07
Radio version: 1.48.00.00
Build: 19199.1.0.0
CE OS 5.2.19199
Protocol version: 32.81.7020.20H

drummer10630
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmariotti View Post
Sorry... where do I do that exactly? If I go to connections, click on "GPRS Setting" it asks me is I want to use PAP or CHAP... nothing else.

As well, I forgot to mention I did get a Tytn for my wife as well, so would be nice if there was a program or simple step to enable/disable and easy for the wife to use.

Thanks, doing this brings up "Network Managment" with two items on screen to choose.

1. Programs that automatically connect to the internet should connect using:
Options: a) My ISP
b) My Work Network
Edit / New

2. Programs that automatically connect to a private network should connect using: Options:
a) My Work Network
b) My ISP

If I do item 1 above, and change it to My Work Network, then I can no longer access web sites via WiFi. Which is what I'd like to do, just use WiFi, no other wireless data transfers via the cell carrier.

Thanks for your help and any clarifications..

When you go to Connections/Connections/Advanced/Select Network/and select My Work Network, click EDIT then click on the Proxy Settings tab and check this network connects to the internet....
Device History:

Smart AmazingPhone 1, O2 Xphone, Orange c500, T-Mobile SDA (uk), Audiovox smt5600, I-Mate sp5, T-Mobile MDA Pro, T-Mobile SDA (usa), O2 Atom, O2 Atom Exec, Dopod 838 Pro, Orange SPV m3100, Asus p525, Cingular 2125, AT&T Tilt, HTC Kaiser, O2 XDA Graphite, iPhone 4, HTC Hero, Galaxy S2 (m250s), iPhone 4s, iPhone 5, Galaxy S2 (i9100)

Doom Tints
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Simply go into the network settings area (the same area people have noted above) and remove every connection other than your wi-fi.

Poke around, you'll figure it out.
Just a suggestion, if your only answer to someone asking for help is going to be "use the search n00b!" then I would suggest simply not answering at all. One of two things will happen after that, either the person asking the question will use the search on their own and find the answer after no one responds to the question, or someone nicer will come along and go ahead and answer the question for them.

winnebago
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Even easier

Call your carrier and disable data to that phone. Then there are NO worries that you accidentally change a setting and get a big bill as a result.

jeffrey.jansen
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Maybe you can use CommmgrPro

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=299070

or

www.commgrpro.com
HTC Touch HD
ROM Mikenificent
Radioversion : 1.13.25.24

g35driver
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I use WiFi when ever and havent ever had fees................
Cingular 8525 with WM6 Build 17944.0.3.1
Super CID (Unlocked to Tmobile)
ROM - Schaps 4.01
Radio - 1.48.00.00
SPL - 2.10
Protocol - 32.81.7020.20H
Vistit my home page HERE
NOW HAVE AN IPHONE!!!