Get a quick GPS fix

Search This thread

mo7al

Jan 25, 2007
I can't remember where did I get the suggestion to use this program to get a fast GPS fix... but thanks to whoever gave the suggestion...
I tried the program today... first I was trying to get a cold fix on TomTom and iGO and it took forever with no success, then I closed the navigation programs, ran GPS Test software for less than a minute, got a fix, closed the program and then back to iGO.... in few seconds I was up and running...

Tried it several times to make sure its not a placebo

Try it guys and give your feedback

GPS Test

I think HTC should consider it to be included in their devices

Last edited:

itlinux

Oct 6, 2006
I can't remember where did I get the suggestion to use this program to get a fast GPS fix... but thanks to whoever gave the suggestion...
I tried the program today... first I was trying to get a cold fix on TomTom and iGO and it took forever with no success, then I closed the navigation programs, ran GPS Test software for less than a minute, got a fix, closed the program and then back to iGO.... in few seconds I was up and running...

GPS Test

Nice, works well..

Thanks.

man2003

Jul 1, 2005
Unfortunately, I'm unable to download it cause it is blocked in my current location... I'll be downloading it once go home...

Did you tried it after 3-6 hours of getting the last fix?

Just to make sure that the software is the one makes the different...

Waiting your reply...

digitalfreeze

Dec 4, 2006
Ottawa
Cab I posted in this thread? If so, you is welcome.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=307387

I don't think that the software itself accelerates the acquisition time, but it's still faster than tomtom in acquiring a fix...perhaps because it's only designed to acquire a fix and uses little resources? Maybe someone can shed some light on this? btw press up on the main screen to show more info.

salaam and all that jazz.

Last edited:

mo7al

Jan 25, 2007
Cab I posted in this thread? If so, you is welcome.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=307387

I don't think that the software itself accelerates the acquisition time, but it's still faster than tomtom in acquiring a fix...perhaps because it's only designed to acquire a fix and uses little resources? Maybe someone can shed some light on this? btw press up on the main screen to show more info.

salaam and all that jazz.

Digitalfreeze, I mentioned in my first post that I couldn't remembered who was the one who suggested this software, and now I know it's you... I should really thank you for it.... I also think that for some reason this software is only designed to test the GPS signals so it acquires the signals fast... no matter what the reason is, but it works.... I am sure it will be included in so many upcoming ROMs..... do you hear me bepe ? :p

private69

Aug 27, 2006
GPStest

Hello,

This program work very well, i couple it with "Mortscript"

And it work fine.

thanks.

Private69.

@++++

JeRoMe_aKa_JaY

GPS Test

Some guys have issues with TT and TTFF.
If you are just looking for a soft that fix faster than TT, you can also use visualGps (much better), beelineGPS...etc... I have no issue with iGO...
This soft GPStest is not a QGPS soft, so it don't give a TTFF in less than 20seconds. Less than 1 minute is normal.

Anyway, for any GPS solution, for fast fix, be in a clear area (without buildings) and don't move (beware of athermic wingshield), you will have a cold fix in less than 1 minute, EVERYTIME !!!

Last edited:

mo7al

Jan 25, 2007
Update:
before leaving home today I took the battery out for few minutes hoping to enforce a cold fix when I leave home...
Left home and ran GPS Test... UNFORTUNATELY, after about 10 minutes still no GPS fix :(

Looks like Myth Busted

digitalfreeze

Dec 4, 2006
Ottawa
I TOTALY agree with that... nothing else is needed...

There is no argument here...TTF is totally hardware dependant, this has been discussed many times. I just find that due to the size and speed of this app, initialization of GPS is much quicker than full blown navigation software.

Last edited:

chrisnash

Jun 21, 2006
London
Well I've been trying GPS Test for about a week now and I'm extremely impressed.
I've had satnav on many PDA's, onboard, wired, bluetooth and I have been geting fixes from cold in 30 or 40 seconds!
Never had that before - and thats while doing X00mph on the M4!

jupppo

Apr 18, 2007
By far the quickest way to activate and fix the GPS is MS Pocket Streets. I don't know why, but I achieve a lock and fix outside always under 30sec.

Even with GPS Test (better than Google Maps (even runs into timeout before activating with other sw) or TomTom!) it will take almost double as long.

nealed

Mar 31, 2007
Eloise
Well I've been trying GPS Test for about a week now and I'm extremely impressed.
I've had satnav on many PDA's, onboard, wired, bluetooth and I have been geting fixes from cold in 30 or 40 seconds!
Never had that before - and thats while doing X00mph on the M4!

You mean kmh - obviously - as doing x00 mph on the m4 is near on guaranteed to get you a ticket.;)

jupppo

Apr 18, 2007
x stands for 0 in this case, because from my experience you stand in a traffic jam anyway :)