5,606,151 Members 34,384 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Read something interesting lastnight

Tip us?
 
swtaltima
Old
#1  
swtaltima's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 464
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Long Beach
Default Read something interesting lastnight

I read on this other forum http://pdaphonehome.com/forums/htc-p...-thread-4.html in this thread they say that it will be released in like November. They say that the person mention this did not say who his source was it still worried me cuz that is the month the 8525 was released. Additionally they mention the 8925 will not have the front facing camera nor will it have built in GPS!!!

I personally will probably boycott AT&T if this is true or at least petition this BS. I mean seriously I love my 8525 but I am getting sick and tired of at&t stripping features out of the damn devices. I am wondering if any of these claims have any value or are they just more incoherent gibberish from the internet.

Any thoughts?
Carrier: AT&T

HTC Tilt 2
ROM: Deepshining.11.23140 Sense WWE
Radio Version: 4.49.25.91
 
Shadowmite
Old
#2  
Shadowmite's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 52
Posts: 398
Join Date: Aug 2005
I would entirely believe they could strip out those features. The front facing camera is useless in the usa as we have no infrastructure to use it. The GPS now, that's the sticky subject. Yes, they could release it and have one of the first devices ever in the usa to support built in standalone gps... But they have a service they sell at $10 or $15 a month to do the same thing. Releasing this phone would take away "revenue" as far as their bean counters will be concerned. It doesn't matter how many of those people would or would not pay for it, it's just a matter of potential revenue to them.

What will happen? That's still up in the air, but rest easy knowing it's still easy enough to get a import if need be!
 
warwickwebb
Old
#3  
Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 55
Join Date: Sep 2005
Default No GPS?

I don't care if they leave out the front camera. But if AT&T is dumb enough to disable the GPS, I'm buying an unlocked Kaiser, period. I hate it when companies cripple perfectly good technology. It's not even like they would be getting revenue from GPS if they crippled it - they'd just be preventing us from using free GPS.....
 
swtaltima
Old
#4  
swtaltima's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 464
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Long Beach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmite View Post
I would entirely believe they could strip out those features. The front facing camera is useless in the usa as we have no infrastructure to use it. The GPS now, that's the sticky subject. Yes, they could release it and have one of the first devices ever in the usa to support built in standalone gps... But they have a service they sell at $10 or $15 a month to do the same thing. Releasing this phone would take away "revenue" as far as their bean counters will be concerned. It doesn't matter how many of those people would or would not pay for it, it's just a matter of potential revenue to them.

What will happen? That's still up in the air, but rest easy knowing it's still easy enough to get a import if need be!
In regard to the lack of support for the front facing camera I thought they were planning on do the whole video share thing? I even found the option for video share on the wm6 beta I put on my girlfriends blackjack. In regard to the bean counters and potential loss of revenue? As far as I know the gps module does not determine who one will use for navigation. I currently have a gps chip through at&t however the same one is available elsewhere. Furthermore, telenav is offered to other carriers as well. The only way I can see this taking money away from them is it came with not only the chip but the software (maps) as well. If it does not come with maps I will still most likely stay with telenav through at&t.
Carrier: AT&T

HTC Tilt 2
ROM: Deepshining.11.23140 Sense WWE
Radio Version: 4.49.25.91
 
swtaltima
Old
#5  
swtaltima's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 464
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Long Beach
What will happen? That's still up in the air, but rest easy knowing it's still easy enough to get a import if need be![/QUOTE]


Yeah, heres the other thing. I am aware I can get the kaiser and use my at&t sim but I doubt I could find the kaiser for $100 or so. I have a contact I send almost 30 customers a year to so I get the supreme hook up. My beef is with AT&T, I think they need to quit being so f_cking retarded and give their loyal customers the device they demand. Unaltered!!!

I am actually surprised they didnt take away the touch screen LOL, bunch of frickin idiots, hey we should all chip in and buy them a new brain. According to my calculations it should take about a dollar to upgrade from their existing

Ill throw in the first .02
Carrier: AT&T

HTC Tilt 2
ROM: Deepshining.11.23140 Sense WWE
Radio Version: 4.49.25.91
 
evolution_theory
Old
#6  
evolution_theory's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 129
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Bakersfield, CA
AT&T has in the works a video call service.
The iPAQ has offered GPS for a long time.
There is no reason to remove GPS from the 8925 and I seriously doubt this would happen. I COULD see them removing the front camera though.


I think Ive decided to just buy an unlocked HTC instead of getting the Cingular 8925 because this phone will more than likely be nerfed.
Motorola Razr Maxx
 
weinson
Old
#7  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 487
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Oakland, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolution_theory View Post
AT&T has in the works a video call service.
The iPAQ has offered GPS for a long time.
There is no reason to remove GPS from the 8925 and I seriously doubt this would happen. I COULD see them removing the front camera though.


I think Ive decided to just buy an unlocked HTC instead of getting the Cingular 8925 because this phone will more than likely be nerfed.
Note what AT&T is doing to the blackberrry 8800 series ... they have neutered the GPS so that it only works if you sign up for the $10/mo TeleNav services. I can confirm this is not a rumor, having seen some recent 8800 series 8800 series devices in the last week. There should be some way to hack around this if they do the same on the 8925, but I would predict a similar approach ... leave the radio in place, but disable without the consumer spending more $$.
AT&T Tilt
Goodlink Mobile Messaging installed
ROM -
Death 3 v41 (beta)
Radio - 1.71.09.01 EMO
Hard-SPL 3.56
 
shogunmark
Old
#8  
shogunmark's Avatar
Retired Senior Moderator
Thanks Meter 201
Posts: 3,429
Join Date: May 2006

 
DONATE TO ME
ok.. let me throw in my 2 cents real quick.....

First off, GPS..
I have been told from a reliable source that it will be crippled through the ATT rom to be used with telenav only... like the 8800 crap.. but im sure that we here can figure something out on making it work otherwise, so im not worried about that...

Phone versions....
I have also heard from the same reliable source that there will be 3 different versions:
8900 - No camera's
8915 - Back 3MP no front camera
8925 - back 3MP camera, and front camera for VideoShare service...

Hope this clears the air for some people... my source is reliable, but things could change....
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kalpha
What is "power cycling"? How do you do it.
Thanks again
Will gladly accept Bitcoin donations!
1DDvVKyygGi6nixdgVnpPdy4vywNXncZEF
 
warwickwebb
Old
#9  
Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 55
Join Date: Sep 2005
Default Hahahahaha

hahahaha...haha...ha....ahem.

Sorry, just looked at the Telenav site to understand what this service is. You get 'unlimited routes' for $10 a month or 10 routes for just $5.99 a month!

Charging per route for a GPS device. Amazing. Why don't they just charge us for each appointment we store in our Pocket PC calendar too?

"Hmmm, I really want to find my way to that new restaurant - but I wonder how many routes I've used this month?"

Ridiculous.
 
weinson
Old
#10  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 487
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Oakland, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by shogunmark View Post
ok.. let me throw in my 2 cents real quick.....

First off, GPS..
I have been told from a reliable source that it will be crippled through the ATT rom to be used with telenav only... like the 8800 crap.. but im sure that we here can figure something out on making it work otherwise, so im not worried about that...

Phone versions....
I have also heard from the same reliable source that there will be 3 different versions:
8900 - No camera's
8915 - Back 3MP no front camera
8925 - back 3MP camera, and front camera for VideoShare service...

Hope this clears the air for some people... my source is reliable, but things could change....
Thanks for the info ... you always seem spot on with your sources... and that configuration would make some marketing sense

Any chance your source has any greater clarity on release dates? I figure I might as well plan on November, since that would be par for the course, but if you have anything more solid, let us know.
AT&T Tilt
Goodlink Mobile Messaging installed
ROM -
Death 3 v41 (beta)
Radio - 1.71.09.01 EMO
Hard-SPL 3.56

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


XDA PORTAL POSTS

Google Glass Now Open to Anyone… with $1500 to Spend (Update: Not Anymore)

Google Glass, which recently received its official update … more

Android 4.4.2 OTA Now Available for the Verizon Droid DNA

A couple of days ago, we talked about how the Android 4.4.2 upgrade for the HTC … more

UnbelovedHosts Uses Xposed to Block Unwanted Connections

First popularized by mvps, hosts-based ad blocking has become the de facto standard … more