[Marshmallow 6.0+] How to Root , Fully unroot & update to New SuperSU Properly

Search This thread

jineshpatel30

Nov 8, 2012
I see lots of confusion going on in many Roms & other threads for rooting 6.0 specially due to that System-less SuperSU.

so i'm sharing what i have done to root 6.0 & update SuperSU through 2.61 to 2.64.

now before we begin be clear on that System-less SuperSU patches only kernel & ramdisk for root.
Still making Full Backup/nandroid is always a good thing before trying something new, it'll save you if anything goes wrong.

Rooting Marshmallow 6.0+ 1st time

1) Be on Marshmallow Rom ( stock / custom) with unlocked boot loader..... i have tested this stock & Cataclysm.
Click below to see how to Unlock Bootloader.
Beware : it'll wipe your device entierly to factory reset state ( all things will be wiped out : contacts , apps , music, videos & your personal files etc. so backup every thing.
reboot into boot loader & use bellow command for unlocking boot loader
Code:
fastboot oem unlock
2) Download latest version of SuperSU ( currently 2.64) from Here & Place it in Phone Storage

2B) (optional) if you want to use Custom kernel (like ElementalX) then download it's falshable zip & pace it in Phone Storage as well

3) Download TWRP 2.8.7.1 from Here. & flash it with fastboot command.
Code:
fastboot flash recovery twrp-2.8.7.1-hammerhead.img

4) after flashing TWRP inter into recovery without Rebooting Phone . ( why ? open hidden content ;) ) {PS: smart people make nandroid backup at this step}
if you reboot phone just after flashing twrp & then try to enter in to recovery mode, you will see stock recovery instead of TWRP. bcz TWRP was flashed only as temporary recovery without root.

4B) (optional) if you want to use custom kernel then flash it now ! ( yes before rooting bcz it needs to be patched) ( not needed.... you can flash custom kernel after completing entire root process bcz it turns out that SuperSU just patch ramdisk, not kernel so custom kernel can be flashed after rooting without any problem. btw i still flash custom kernel before rooting and never had problem so it's your call when to flash custom kernel )

5) Now Flash SuperSU.zip in TWRP which you have from link in 2nd point.

6) Click Reboot System in TWRP. It will tell you your device isn't rooted & ask your permission for rooting it. DO NOT ( I repeat Do not) swipe to grant it, always Select NO ( it says so bcz twrp still don't detect system-less root )

7) Remember 6th point after Flashing any other zip in future as well.

PS: If you change your kernel after rooting you need to flash SuperSU.zip again after it

Updating SuperSU for already rooted Marshmallow 6.0+

all steps are important for properly updating SuperSu so don't skip any of them. Otherwise already patched Kernel or ramdisk will give you an error while flashing updated SuperSu!

1) Open SuperSU app. Click "Full Unroot" & wait until auto reboot completes. ( this step will remove root & restore your original kernel that was auto backup while rooting 1st time.)

2) Flash Stock boot.img from factory image via fastboot command. ( important step for those who used custom kernel while/after rooting )
Code:
fastboot flash boot boot.img

(you can get boot.img by extracting image-hammerhead-xxxxx, from factory image.)

3)Reboot Phone.

4) Now follow Rooting Marshmallow 6.0+ 1st time method from step 2. ( you can skip step 3 if you already have TWRP )

.........................................................................................................................

Cataclysm specific info

Last edited:

jineshpatel30

Nov 8, 2012
( reserved for future SuperSU changes )

A major change in setup is that the ZIP installer will try to detect 6.0 firmwares that can be rooted without doing a systemless install. In other words, a root that modifies only /system, but not the boot image. If this is possible, the installer will install into /system (unless you override via "echo SYSTEMLESS=true>>/data/.supersu").

what does above statement from Chainfire's SuperSU 2.64 mean ?

Well, it means on Android 6.0+ if you are using Custom Rom & Custom kernel which are already patched for SELinux Policies for root on /system partition then from v2.64 SuperSU script will check it & if they seems fine then Su binary will be placed in /system instead in installing Root as system-less mode & patching kernel & all.

(correct me if i'm wrong )

Last edited:
Reactions: Smoosh1

bmcgarry84

Dec 10, 2011
Richmond
Thanks for this. Makes things clear for me.

Maybe you can add something about Android Pay. Like, does it work? Or, how to make it work. I see a lot of confusion on that when discussing the new SuperSU as well.

Sent from my Nexus 5

jineshpatel30

Nov 8, 2012
Thanks for this. Makes things clear for me.

Maybe you can add something about Android Pay. Like, does it work? Or, how to make it work. I see a lot of confusion on that when discussing the new SuperSU as well.

Sent from my Nexus 5
No Android Pay will Not work if you root your device in any way.

Some users reported earlier that "system-less" root helped them to keep Android Pay working.. But itt was just placebo & luck. It stopped working for most of them after some time.

So for now there is no way to keep Android Pay working with root. ( atleast not to the my knowledge)

(Actually Android Pay isn't working with Root is Good security feature..one can argue that other pay works even after rooting but there's chance (may be just a little) to interfere it by thieves. & Google won't risk it until they find complete secure solution. )

Last edited:

lynnux

Jun 4, 2013
Hmmm. Android Pay has been working for me on 6.01 with both 2.63 & 2.64 su. Used it only twice in the last week, so that may not pass the "it's working permanently" test. It is working though (at Whole Foods). I had to delete the xbin file mentioned in the supersu thread. I even have Viper4Android installed, which modifies system.

Mairo

Feb 28, 2013
first boot after point 6. everything was fine.
then i opened Busybox and " It looks like bb is installed, but it does not appear to be the versionthay you selected to have installed, you may want to try the installation again, but this time using a differentinstallation location."
then I made restart and I have lost root. SuperSu " There is no SU binary installed, and SuperSu cannot install it............"

Edit. Second attempt whitout custom kernel ( hellscore ) and looks like everything is working now. ( i unistalled and reistalled busybox )

Last edited:

jineshpatel30

Nov 8, 2012
first boot after point 6. everything was fine.
then i opened Busybox and " It looks like bb is installed, but it does not appear to be the versionthay you selected to have installed, you may want to try the installation again, but this time using a differentinstallation location."
then I made restart and I have lost root. SuperSu " There is no SU binary installed, and SuperSu cannot install it............"

Edit. Second attempt whitout custom kernel ( hellscore ) and looks like everything is working now. ( i unistalled and reistalled busybox )
may be custom kernel related.. most of custom kernel for nexus 5 comes with busy box. so you don't need to flash it again.

If you want to update busybox use /xbin installation method. ( it'll modify your /system but it's easy)

( if you don't want to modify your /system at all you can use /bin location for BB installation. it should work fine ( though i never used this.) )

personally i use ElementalX which comes with busybox so i don't go to hassle to update it again..it works just fine without anything :)

jineshpatel30

Nov 8, 2012
Hmmm. Android Pay has been working for me on 6.01 with both 2.63 & 2.64 su. Used it only twice in the last week, so that may not pass the "it's working permanently" test. It is working though (at Whole Foods). I had to delete the xbin file mentioned in the supersu thread. I even have Viper4Android installed, which modifies system.
personally i don't have any experience with Android Pay bcz it's not available in my country & i don't think i''l be any soon.

so if it's working for you then it's good (y)

in future if it stop working, let us know how it stopped (if you can figure it out) it'll be helpful for other people.

Mairo

Feb 28, 2013
there is something with hellscore kernel and su2.64. I tried 2 different ways right now.
First i flashed under twrp hells b16 ( it says successfully )and then su.2.64. ( succesfull) then I boot up and no hellscore kerne.
Then I just tried to flash only hellscore whitout SU2.64. then I get hellscore kernel but then no root. Then I just went to back TWRP and flashed Su.264 and I got root and stock kernel :) .
I think I need talk with Hellscore about this b16 version and su2.64.

jineshpatel30

Nov 8, 2012
there is something with hellscore kernel and su2.64. I tried 2 different ways right now.
First i flashed under twrp hells b16 ( it says successfully )and then su.2.64. ( succesfull) then I boot up and no hellscore kerne.
Then I just tried to flash only hellscore whitout SU2.64. then I get hellscore kernel but then no root. Then I just went to back TWRP and flashed Su.264 and I got root and stock kernel :) .
I think I need talk with Hellscore about this b16 version and su2.64.
What your recovery log says when you flash SuperSU after hellscore ?

Can you attach it, i want to check it out.
(i think there is option to save log after flashing zip in twrp )

Mairo

Feb 28, 2013

sorry cant give it right now. I restored everything from nandroid backup. befor I used b16 with su2.62-3 and they worked great together. but after restoring same like 2.64.
my battery starting to get empty.. cant test it and send log right now.

Reactions: jineshpatel30

jineshpatel30

Nov 8, 2012
sorry cant give it right now. I restored everything from nandroid backup. befor I used b16 with su2.62-3 and they worked great together. but after restoring same like 2.64.
Okay no problem :)

If you give it try in future,plz save log file :)

Mairo

Feb 28, 2013
Okay no problem :)

If you give it try in future,plz save log file :)
here it is. I made a new istall also before . Then I used your guide and got root. Then I reboot back in twrp and flashed hellscore then su2.64 again. and then made reboot. And no Helscore kernel.

Attachments

• last_log.rar
    4.2 KB · Views: 18

jineshpatel30

Nov 8, 2012
here it is. I made a new istall also before . Then I used your guide and got root. Then I reboot back in twrp and flashed hellscore then su2.64 again. and then made reboot. And no Helscore kernel.
Well i'm not an expert in this matters but your log shows lots of errors while flashing SuperSu after hellscore.

It can't Mount partitions & can't create /su folder & errors while patching also.

I recommend you to show this log to Kernel Dev asap..he will know what to do exactly.

Btw you flashed stock boot.img before flashing hellscore right ?

If not now try bellow steps exactly.

Flash stock boot.img via fastboot (no need to flash system or anything else as you are flashing hellscore again )

Now reboot phone & then go to recovery.

Now flash hellscore & then SuperSU.

& reboot.

See & report result. (If you already done above steps property then no need to try again just report logs to Dev )

Last edited:

wiifan

Jan 13, 2012
fastboot flash recovery twrp-2.8.7.1 goes wrong

Hi, I try the root on nexus 5 with stock rom 6.01, when I flash recovery twrp, obtain this message:

C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>fastboot flash recovery twrp
-2.8.7.1-hammerhead.img
target reported max download size of 1073741824 bytes
sending 'recovery' (14694 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.738s]
writing 'recovery'...
FAILED (remote: not supported in locked device)
finished. total time: 0.845s

so, when i go to recovery, without rebooting as suggested, I don't have twrp recovery.
Any suggestion?

Thanks

Smoosh1

Feb 5, 2014
Hi, I try the root on nexus 5 with stock rom 6.01, when I flash recovery twrp, obtain this message:

C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>fastboot flash recovery twrp
-2.8.7.1-hammerhead.img
OKAY [ 0.738s]
writing 'recovery'...

so, when i go to recovery, without rebooting as suggested, I don't have twrp recovery.
Any suggestion?

Thanks
You have to unlock your bootloader first. CAUTION! THIS WIPES YOUR PHONE!
Background information and how to unlock the bootloader read here: http://www.addictivetips.com/mobile/what-is-bootloader-and-how-to-unlock-bootloader-on-android-phones-complete-guide/

Reactions: jineshpatel30

jineshpatel30

Nov 8, 2012

-2.8.7.1-hammerhead.img
OKAY [ 0.738s]
writing 'recovery'...

Any suggestion?

Thanks

as suggested by Smoosh you need to Unlock Bootloader.

Beware : it'll wipe your device entierly to factory reset state ( all things will be wiped out : contacts , apps , music, videos your personal files etc. so backup every thing.

Code:
fastboot oem unlock

Background information and how to unlock the bootloader read here: http://www.addictivetips.com/mobile/what-is-bootloader-and-how-to-unlock-bootloader-on-android-phones-complete-guide/

thank for replying him :) i thought people come to this thread already know about unlocking but now i need to add that as well in OP ;)

Reactions: wiifan

yj121

Jul 10, 2012
Bootloop

My phone has entered into a bootloop after flashing on the TWRP recovery. TWRP opens, runs a script for like 5 seconds, and then my phone restarts, repeat. How do I fix this? I have tried to wipe the memory multiple times and even reflash twrp, with no success.

anoops_id

Nov 28, 2007
@jineshpatel30 Pls help

hi bro @jineshpatel30 pls help me out.

Im running on stock 6.0.0 and rooted with recovery twrp-2.8.7.1-hammerhead.img and hellscore hC-b11-M kernal. Im using cataclysm Nov release 6.0.0 as my daily driver in secondary rom (and its pre rooted by the rom builder) and stock 6.0.0 as my primary rom.
Recently cataclysm released its Dec 8 stable release 6.0.1, i have clean flashed the same in secondary and its working perfect but no root access, after going through too many forums in xda i have flashed SuperSU 2.61 on the same to root it. but its just showing patching ramdisk in twrp more than 30 mins and nothing is happening. :crying:

Now kindly help me to root the same(cataclysm Dec 8 stable release 6.0.1) in secondary... can i flash SuperSU-2.64 directly over cataclysm?? is that safe?? is that make any problem to primary stock??? pls guide me as im not getting any proper answre from any of the forum and there is too many members like me still confused flashing the SuperSu 2.64 in a multirom and its after effects. :fingers-crossed:

Primary Rom: Stock 6.0.0 as primary, Kernal : hC-b11-M
Seconary Rom: Cataclysm Nov release 6.0.0, Kernal : hC-b15-M

Recovery: TWRP 2.8.7.1
Baseband: M8974A -2.0.50.2.27
Booloader: hhz12k

awaiting for your valuable reply hope you will help me:fingers-crossed:

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I see lots of confusion going on in many Roms & other threads for rooting 6.0 specially due to that System-less SuperSU.

so i'm sharing what i have done to root 6.0 & update SuperSU through 2.61 to 2.64.

now before we begin be clear on that System-less SuperSU patches only kernel & ramdisk for root.
    Still making Full Backup/nandroid is always a good thing before trying something new, it'll save you if anything goes wrong.

Rooting Marshmallow 6.0+ 1st time

1) Be on Marshmallow Rom ( stock / custom) with unlocked boot loader..... i have tested this stock & Cataclysm.
    Click below to see how to Unlock Bootloader.
    Beware : it'll wipe your device entierly to factory reset state ( all things will be wiped out : contacts , apps , music, videos & your personal files etc. so backup every thing.
    Code:
    fastboot oem unlock
    2) Download latest version of SuperSU ( currently 2.64) from Here & Place it in Phone Storage

2B) (optional) if you want to use Custom kernel (like ElementalX) then download it's falshable zip & pace it in Phone Storage as well

3) Download TWRP 2.8.7.1 from Here. & flash it with fastboot command.
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery twrp-2.8.7.1-hammerhead.img

4) after flashing TWRP inter into recovery without Rebooting Phone . ( why ? open hidden content ;) ) {PS: smart people make nandroid backup at this step}
    if you reboot phone just after flashing twrp & then try to enter in to recovery mode, you will see stock recovery instead of TWRP. bcz TWRP was flashed only as temporary recovery without root.

4B) (optional) if you want to use custom kernel then flash it now ! ( yes before rooting bcz it needs to be patched) ( not needed.... you can flash custom kernel after completing entire root process bcz it turns out that SuperSU just patch ramdisk, not kernel so custom kernel can be flashed after rooting without any problem. btw i still flash custom kernel before rooting and never had problem so it's your call when to flash custom kernel )

5) Now Flash SuperSU.zip in TWRP which you have from link in 2nd point.

6) Click Reboot System in TWRP. It will tell you your device isn't rooted & ask your permission for rooting it. DO NOT ( I repeat Do not) swipe to grant it, always Select NO ( it says so bcz twrp still don't detect system-less root )

7) Remember 6th point after Flashing any other zip in future as well.

PS: If you change your kernel after rooting you need to flash SuperSU.zip again after it

Updating SuperSU for already rooted Marshmallow 6.0+

all steps are important for properly updating SuperSu so don't skip any of them. Otherwise already patched Kernel or ramdisk will give you an error while flashing updated SuperSu!

1) Open SuperSU app. Click "Full Unroot" & wait until auto reboot completes. ( this step will remove root & restore your original kernel that was auto backup while rooting 1st time.)

2) Flash Stock boot.img from factory image via fastboot command. ( important step for those who used custom kernel while/after rooting )
    Code:
    fastboot flash boot boot.img

(you can get boot.img by extracting image-hammerhead-xxxxx, from factory image.)

3)Reboot Phone.

4) Now follow Rooting Marshmallow 6.0+ 1st time method from step 2. ( you can skip step 3 if you already have TWRP )

.........................................................................................................................

Cataclysm specific info
    ( reserved for future SuperSU changes )

A major change in setup is that the ZIP installer will try to detect 6.0 firmwares that can be rooted without doing a systemless install. In other words, a root that modifies only /system, but not the boot image. If this is possible, the installer will install into /system (unless you override via "echo SYSTEMLESS=true>>/data/.supersu").

what does above statement from Chainfire's SuperSU 2.64 mean ?

Well, it means on Android 6.0+ if you are using Custom Rom & Custom kernel which are already patched for SELinux Policies for root on /system partition then from v2.64 SuperSU script will check it & if they seems fine then Su binary will be placed in /system instead in installing Root as system-less mode & patching kernel & all.

(correct me if i'm wrong )

-2.8.7.1-hammerhead.img
    OKAY [ 0.738s]
    writing 'recovery'...

Any suggestion?

Thanks

-2.8.7.1-hammerhead.img
    OKAY [ 0.738s]
    writing 'recovery'...

Any suggestion?

Thanks

as suggested by Smoosh you need to Unlock Bootloader.

Beware : it'll wipe your device entierly to factory reset state ( all things will be wiped out : contacts , apps , music, videos your personal files etc. so backup every thing.

Code:
    fastboot oem unlock

thank for replying him :) i thought people come to this thread already know about unlocking but now i need to add that as well in OP ;)